Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Bronco Exhaust and headers

Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Insanebronchitis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Bronco Exhaust and headers

Hi In my county they dont do checks for emissions. I have bought a true dual exhaust and headers system that side exits the tips and has no catalytic. Is there anything else I need to do to my truck to make sure it runs properly and not damage anything? It is a 1990 Ford Bronco 5.8l 351w E.F.I and Ive heard it might heard 02 sensor or something like that. Id like to get the extra noice and power like a motorcycle. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Insanebronchitis
New User
My exhaust system is already messed up and leaking fumes into the cab and I dont think has a catalytic converter on it already so this is part of Why I am doing this the exhaust is all messed up. I am wondering if this model truck needs o2 sensor or if no cat will hurt anything on the computer or something?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Insanebronchitis
New User
on doing More Research I found that you can idle pulley the smog pump, or just disable it and the o2 sensors youll be fine. Only reason i'm dong this is the exhaust is honestly already destroyed and I got a great deal on these new headers and true dual exhaust. I got 3 cans of high heat primer and 4 cans of high heat paint anyone got any suggestions or tips for help me to do all this? Old Exhaust Manifolds are rusted and need replace I got new headers and this baby will be purring again soon I hope!

Is there any safety hazards not having 02 sensor and catalyitc?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 AM
StuntmanFyke
Senior User
your going to need the o2 sensors no matter what with an efi engine

Old 02-02-2011, 05:36 AM
jcee
Senior User
The catalytic converter will be required if you have state inspection even though you don't have tailpipe emissions testing. Without the O2 sensors your engine may not, will not, run correctly. I put headers and duals on a 95', 5.8 and it's a job. The drivers side is a breeze but the passanger side requires the removal of the inner fender for access and relocating the vacuum lines and associated parts away from their original location. Plus the exhaust tube from the exhaust manifold to the recirculating valve, if in place, most likely won't fit and will have to be revamped. I installed Summit shorty headers and am not familiar with a long tube installation if that's what you're doing. I used shortys because I reused the Y pipe which has the bungs for the O2 sensors then had custom exhaust built with separate mufflers and converters. Don't know about disabling the smog pump. Never heard of anyone doing it.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 368 Likes on 278 Posts
Stock manifolds are always gonna have surface rust. Thats not a sign they're bad. If you do put this all on, post up some pics. I'm thinking about doing longtubes myself here soon, But I will havea a custom Y-pipe amde to keep the O2 sensor. There are fake O2 sensors you can buy that trick the computer into thinking they're there and fine. Put them on a camaro once.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM
jcee
Senior User
From the catalogs I see most long tube headers now come with the O2 bung already in them for the later model engines/vehicles. This completely eliminates the problem. If you're having a total custom setup and using long tube headers that do not have the bung take it off your existing Y pipe and have it put on your header.

Don't know why now that I chose shortys when I was going to have a custom system made anyway. Probably didn't know they could create the ball flange to mate to the header. I know time was short to get it to my Son when he came home. Truthfully, nothing beats the sound of a long tube setup.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The O2 sensors are critical. Removal is NOT an option. Period. A 1990 should only have one in the Y-pipe. You will need to run an X pipe (commonly referred to as a cross-over pipe) and put the O2 sensor IN the X-pipe for the system to function properly. This will serve both critical functions of equalizing exhaust pressure in the system and providing full-system exposure to the O2 sensor.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
I put headers on my 89. Ordered X pipe from Summit and welded in a o2 bung. It worked good and sounded awesome, was running Patriot side pipes though. As for the smog pump, you can buy an elimanator pulley/bracket form Summit as well. I removed everything from the pump to the pipe. Plugged the vaccuum lime and threaded a 5/8x1 bolt into the back of the heads to plug the exhaust to the missing pump. This is not 50 state leagal. We don't have emissions test here either.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And removing the smog pump also changes the oxygen levels in the exhaust which causes the system to run rich causing reduced fuel economy, premature spark plug failure and increased soot contamination in the exhaust system from valve seats to tailpipe. Not running a catalytic converter in this instance is probably a good thing since you would clog it inside of two months with the smog pump removed.