1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

True Ford Disc brake conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 AM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True Ford Disc brake conversion?

Does anyone know if there are any disc brake conversion kits that use ford brake parts? No offense to the dark side guys but for me a ford needs to remain a ford

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 AM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford truck/mustang

My 51 is part Mustang. 289/MII IFS/67 Mustang disk brake conversion in the rear. Can't get more ford than a MUSTANG.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tazcliff
Does anyone know if there are any disc brake conversion kits that use ford brake parts? No offense to the dark side guys but for me a ford needs to remain a ford
Most brake parts are made by companies other than the car or truck manufacturer anyway like Bendix, Wagner, Delco (altough, I suppose Delco is a subsidiary of GM), etc., so what difference does it make?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Should have clarified my question a bit. Ford front disc brakes with stock front suspension

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tazcliff
Should have clarified my question a bit. Ford front disc brakes with stock front suspension
Guess I don't understand the distinction...

Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
ewalt98
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if this is what the OP is thinking, but for me, it would be nice to be able to pull a part from a newer Ford to upgrade an older Ford, regardless of who the part manufacturer is. In the case of brakes, sure a caliper supplier will make a part for Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc, but the configuration/bolt pattern and the like are often different, so in that sense, the parts are make specific.
I think the opposite is true for European cars, where you can swap many parts between makes such as Porsche, Audi, and VW - and find the parts for an older Porsche a lot cheaper by looking at VW parts.

In upgrading, I usually think make specific, and if that doesn't work, I don't have a problem going to other makes to accomplish the upgrade (though I have a problem with putting a Toyota steering box on my Ford... ) )

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
I agree with ewalt, I will be watching this. I thought maybe you could use something off a twin I beam, but upon further inspection the caliper brackets appear to be part of the spindle.

Paul

Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
f100newb
Senior User
You want something that is not a GM caliper and disk correct? I think the issue is most of what we see for upgrades and even swaps are done with and for GM parts. I for instance can find a complete package to put an LS1 into my truck but be damned to find one for an actual 4.6 or 5.4 FORD engine. Good Luck. and yeah the Built Ford Tuff with Chevy Stuff is no good for me either

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I don't believe that there is a direct swap of Ford parts - bearings, hubs, disk, calipers etc - that will fit the spindles in the 48-60 era - I've been looking for at least 10 years and haven't seen anything.
It seems a little excessive for something thats not a true restoration.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,445 Likes on 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by ewalt98
I think the opposite is true for European cars, where you can swap many parts between makes such as Porsche, Audi, and VW - and find the parts for an older Porsche a lot cheaper by looking at VW parts.
Swapping parts between VW, Porsche and Audi is a little like swapping parts from Buick, Olds and Pontiac. They are all made by the same company, VW. It's a lot less likely parts from your Saab will interchange with a BMW or an MG.

The problem with using Ford calipers is the design of the mounting isn't swap freindly. They're large and bulky, and in many older applications it's part of the spindle which can't be used.

GM calipers are used by the aftermarket because of the ease and simplicity of the attachment. And they work good. They can be adapted by means of a simple bracket bolted to the spindle.

My understanding is the 5 on 5 1/2 rotors used in the straight axle conversion are Ford truck parts from the 70's.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I don't believe that there is a direct swap of Ford parts - bearings, hubs, disk, calipers etc - that will fit the spindles in the 48-60 era - I've been looking for at least 10 years and haven't seen anything.
It seems a little excessive for something thats not a true restoration.
This is where i'm at with it too, I wanted the same as the OP but after looking into it, it's just not worth the hassle/cost.

A 5.4l swap would be awesome btw, but you're right all the mounting kits are for chebys, at least 90% of the ones i've seen are for bowties. Lame...

Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is a place to check for Ford rotors for f-1 and f100's

http://www.magnumaxle.net/MagnumAxelCatalogWeb.pdf

Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
There use to be a kit that used 60's Mustang calipers but I haven't seen them for a while.

Before I decided to go 4x4 on my truck I was going to adapt a pair of Late model Mustang Cobra PBR aluminum dual piston calipers. It takes fabricating a new caliper adapter mounting bracket though.

I feel the same as the OP. For the back brakes on my project I want to use all Ford parts. All the aftermarket kits use a cheap gm or caddy caliper. So I'm adapting the set up off a 99 E350 Ford van. It requires welding new mounting flanges on the rear diff but it's worth it.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I prefer to keep my old Ford -Ford, actually I insist on it. I'm presently surfing all around to find a Ford disk/ rotor set up for my f47, 5.5 on 5.5 spindles

Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
I respect all of your opinions but ultimately its my truck to build to my personal taste. I would never criticize someone for wanting to use a Chevy drive train or a jag front end even though I would never consider such swaps. In my eyes like Mervy and others have said my preference to keep my ford, ford.

Quick Reply: True Ford Disc brake conversion?