1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

a real econoline steering fix!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 04:43 PM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should have realized that....Thanks

Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 AM
giffenf
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to add another endorsement of the Hellwig 7183 sway bar kit. I put one on my 2012 E350 extended last week and the difference is remarkable. It drives like a car now, albeit a 19.5-foot-long car. Loaded it up this afternoon (after I finished installing the new seats, but there’ll be a new thread about that real soon) and went out looking for curves I could take too fast to see how it handled under load. Dang nice is how. Looking forward to the next road trip.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:13 AM
Lukas Kowal
New User
New to the forum

Hi, guys! A lot of information in that thread, thanks a lot!
I red about the steering damper installation here some time ago but didn't do the reading through entire thread. Ordered a moog kit and was surprised it didn't mount to the frame like the OEM. I'm thinking about building a bracket and mounting one end to it (and the frame myself). Should work the same just better. Or I'm totally wrong and it will destroy the the steering or something? Is it gonna blow?
Needed to edit, spelling mistakes

Old 12-30-2019, 07:31 PM
andrewzx92000
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lukas Kowal
Hi, guys! A lot of information in that thread, thanks a lot!
I red about the steering damper installation here some time ago but didn't do the reading through entire thread. Ordered a moog kit and was surprised it didn't mount to the frame like the OEM. I'm thinking about building a bracket and mounting one end to it (and the frame myself). Should work the same just better. Or I'm totally wrong and it will destroy the the steering or something? Is it gonna blow?
Needed to edit, spelling mistakes
I would think that the moog shock might be too short to use, but you won't hurt anything that I can think of. Just check full movement of the steering and make sure nothing is hanging up to cause problems.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:11 PM
hogroaster
New User
I've just picked up an E350 and found this thread, thank goodness! For anyone who happens to be looking for the parts to do the install the OEM angled steering arm bracket is extremely hard to find. Everyone I checked with said the part is on back order and there's no release date. After much digging I found a dealer who happened to have 8 of those brackets, (seven now). Sanderson Ford in AZ is the only place I could find. Get 'em while they're hot!

Old 06-18-2020, 08:32 AM
sieg01
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Moog SSD121

Hi @ all.
I purchased the Moogs SSD121 (before reading this thread) and now I am running into "problems" installing it properly.
Does any forum member have this kit installed? And would you be so kind to picture your left and right bracket installation - and publish it here.

I am driving an E350 1994 NA idi.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:31 AM
sieg01
4wd Low
Moog SSD121

Originally Posted by sieg01
- I purchased the Moogs SSD121 (before reading this thread) and now I am running into "problems" installing it properly. -
Why is there no instruction manual with the package? Is the mounting of this suspension stabilizer so simple and self explaining that it isn't required? - Am I doing something wrong?

However I try, it doesn't fit right.

The damper-mount-angle in the brackets do not fit to each other.
I always get the impression, that the piston rod will get stressed and then the seals will suffer and "die" as the piston isn't moving "naturally".

Next to that, the 4 bolts are too short to locate the "larger" bracket more towards the wheel.
Also the 2 U-bolts inner diameter was to small to fit on the steering center link. After expanding them, I got them around but now they (threads) are a bit short.

Is anyone able to picture her/his Moog SSD121 installation and publish it here or a link in the web. I couldn't find such picture in the www.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:56 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by sieg01
Why is there no instruction manual with the package? Is the mounting of this suspension stabilizer so simple and self explaining that it isn't required? - Am I doing something wrong?

However I try, it doesn't fit right..
Did you buy this kit brand new from a reputable seller? Were there signs the package had been opened prior to your receipt?

I'm sure contacting Moog would result in some sort of printer friendly .pdf being sent your way---might be your best start.

Good luck with this!

Old 06-20-2020, 10:01 AM
sieg01
4wd Low
Originally Posted by JWA
Did you buy this kit brand new from a reputable seller? Were there signs the package had been opened prior to your receipt?
Rockauto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...840&cc=1117886
It was originally packed.
But I am wondering why there was no Moog sticker on the box or on the installation instruction - which does not cover the bracket mount.
And I can see this product picture with other online shops offering the Moog SSD121 and the content does match the picture. So I hope and expect that it is no fake.

Originally Posted by JWA
I'm sure contacting Moog would result in some sort of printer friendly .pdf being sent your way---might be your best start.
On Thursday I dropped them an email. During next week I would expect a feedback.

Originally Posted by JWA
Good luck with this!
Thanks.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:36 PM
sieg01
4wd Low
Double posting.
My posts are published with a delay - for whatever reason.
As it wasn't visible I answered JWA's questions again - and today both of my posts are here.
So, one has to go.

Last edited by sieg01; 06-23-2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Double posting
Old 06-22-2020, 02:39 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I have some photos of my own Ford OEM new stabilizer brackets and shock as mounted per instructions on a 2003 E250, 2WD. I'll dig them out and post here within a day at most. If your info from Moog arrives first that's fine too---they'll be here as soon as time permits.

HTH

Old 06-23-2020, 04:42 AM
sieg01
4wd Low
Originally Posted by JWA
I have some photos of my own Ford OEM new stabilizer brackets and shock as mounted per instructions on a 2003 E250, 2WD. I'll dig them out and post here within a day at most. If your info from Moog arrives first that's fine too---they'll be here as soon as time permits.

HTH
Thanks for your effort.

We have a discussion here: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/m...bilizer.87994/
and I must admit that the OEM-version is probably the best steering stabilizer solution available - for our vans.
And since it is too late for me - as I already bought the Moog solution - I have to wait for Moog to send the mounting instruction and then I have to get along with it.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:13 PM
ElTel
New User
1989 fix?!

Awesome thread with some great info. I’ve read through the whole thing and a couple people had mentioned a 1989 e250 van but then didn’t follow up with what fix worked best.

Will the 3+ to 5+ caster adjustment work for an older model/passenger van like this? Or is it better to go with a stabilizer.

My van is basically undriveable on the highway- really need the best fix here. Any knowledge or help for this specific kind of van would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2020, 05:08 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ElTel
Awesome thread with some great info. I’ve read through the whole thing and a couple people had mentioned a 1989 e250 van but then didn’t follow up with what fix worked best.
Will the 3+ to 5+ caster adjustment work for an older model/passenger van like this? Or is it better to go with a stabilizer.
My van is basically undriveable on the highway- really need the best fix here. Any knowledge or help for this specific kind of van would be greatly appreciated.
Why is it "basically undriveable" on the highway? What does it do that causes concern?

If your steering knuckles are the pinch bolt type as found on the '92's and later then yes adding up to +5 degrees caster would work. If you have the King pin type front suspension adding caster would most likely work but I'm not sure how that would be accomplished.

Adding a steering stabilizer is nothing more than a Band-Aid but some have found it helpful. I added the factory parts to my own '03 E250 with extended body and didn't notice any improvement in handling.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:00 AM
ElTel
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Why is it "basically undriveable" on the highway? What does it do that causes concern?

If your steering knuckles are the pinch bolt type as found on the '92's and later then yes adding up to +5 degrees caster would work. If you have the King pin type front suspension adding caster would most likely work but I'm not sure how that would be accomplished.

Adding a steering stabilizer is nothing more than a Band-Aid but some have found it helpful. I added the factory parts to my own '03 E250 with extended body and didn't notice any improvement in handling.

Thanks for the response! I just mean “undriveable” because once I start going past 45mph the wander and play feel DANGEROUS- like any little bump is going to throw me into the other lane.

How do I tell if I have the kingpin or pinchbolt? And, though it’s a more expensive option, would replacing the steering gear box help at all?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: a real econoline steering fix!