1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

a real econoline steering fix!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
dieseldogtom
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pretty funny boulderguy. But you probably missed the best part if ya didn't read it all. I think you did though. Anyway...I guess I will take a chance & just run that 7/16ths in there. Mine is not all rusted out like WVVAN's seems to be so maybe the 7/16ths will be tight.Guess I can also return the 10 mm I bought at the local nuts & bolts. On second thought , that's probably not worth the time it will take to do for the $3.00 it's worth.
I can just add them to the pile of (I will use them one day bolts) that to this day I don't think I have ever searched through and found something that I needed for the particular project I was working on.
I would like to say something here ......
I realize there is probably a fair number of guys on these sites that are mechanics & that work or worked at dealer ships. My above comments/post does NOT reflect EVERYONE. But instead, what seems to be a growing number of people employed in these positions that just don't seem to give a **** about anything. (least of all going that small extra step to help out a customer). I didn't start out with the guy being a smart ***, but you can rest assured that when he showed me that typical above mentioned attitude, That I didn't miss any opportunities to give a little bit back to him. I don't know if you are just fooling around boulderguy about "just assuming everyone's a dirt bag" but I try to give people a chance to show me who they are before I start to think that way. Probably my downfall, you know...nice guys finishing last & all that. But it usually doesn't take to much to see just what someone is all about. So as I said....Comments not meant to be directed at EVERYONE in those industries but if you are serving me as the customer and start that know it all arrogant s**t. Get ready to get a little bit of it back and maybe even a conference with the owner of the business. While he may or may not be as big a dirt bag as (you) Usually , they have a reputation to protect and will take the time to resolve the issue one way or another.
Anyway, 7/16ths huh..........O.K........thanks again

Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM
dieseldogtom
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A final word for those reading this thread interested in making this (mod) for your van.
If you choose to buy the OEM parts new (Part numbers listed earlier in the thread) and you HATE dealing with STEALERSHIPS as much as I do. I can't recommend enough that you not waste your time searching out best price.
Just go right to SILVERSTATEFORD.com
Not only the best marked down price for the brackets BUT(at least in my experience)
Guys that are really nice to talk to and go the extra steps you all hope for when you are calling and might need some help or advice.
As an example: The first guy I talked to took the time to go get the box & open it to ENSURE that it did indeed include the U-BOLTS talked about in this thread, and did it without an attitude!
When I got my brackets, I found myself a little disappointed that the frame side Right side) didn't come with the 10 mm self tapping bolts. I called (Kelly) and explained to him this & that for spending $140 on brackets ya think they could include those (3)
.50 cent ($1.50 total) bolts. Agreeing on a mutual understanding of why they are not included, I told him I knew of another part number that was for a different application (also info from this thread) that was a package of 4 bolts (but was good for this as well since they were 10 mm) He gave me his personal cell number so I could call him back with it & found them in Tennessee and arranged to have them shipped to me for , O.K.....You better sit down for this one........NO CHARGE!
Yes , from a parts dealer for NO CHARGE!....So like I said, when you decide you need the brackets (and maybe the shock too, I went for the whole OEM package). Just go straight to them if you want to be treated right.
I am writing this only because when you find people like this , it needs to be told to others to help them in their business. NOT because I have a clue who anyone over there is or any other (kick back). Just really nice guys!............. DDT

Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
That's a great customer service outfit you're dealing with DDTom---thanks for sharing!

We've all been woefully disappointed with any number of dealerships, they're about as different as night and day. There have been a lot of marketplace changes in the past few years where new car sales are a bit down so dealerships have looking inward seen profit opportunities are abundant in service and parts departments as well as body shop operations.

Here locally I've gone through a number of Ford dealers as well as the online guys before finally settling on one so-called "mega mall" outfit that's similar to your experience. Sometimes this process takes a while, it helps if you're a regular customer OR can establish a working relationship with just one guy. Both seem to cause them to go that extra distance.

I'd also advise asking a lot of questions first and not assume any part or kit from a dealer will automatically include all the parts you believe or think should be there. This sort of assumption or lack of knowledge isn't the fault or doing of the dealer especially the parts guys because they don't and can't know everything about items they don't sell all that often. Most aren't mechanics, don't wrench on their own vehicles---they're looking at images on a screen and ordering what you tell them to.

Its a two way street with these sorts of mods and we're best advised to know our own stuff first, before ordering things. This thread has more than enough info for someone to do it right the first time though.

Thanks again for the dealership kudos----nice to know there's still a few really dedicated to helping us DIYs out!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Billy Joe Bob
New User
Andrew.... You are a GOD in my book !!!! This is our 2nd Ford van (1st one was a E250 ext and 2nd is an E150 conversion) and while we love both, they of course steer like PIGS in their OEM format.... Until now... Did all urethane bushings about 5K ago with only marginal results, rear sway bars, adjustable camber shims and then this steering stabilizer......... WOW. Part #'s were spot on and unlike the others on here, we whipped out the MIG welder and welded the frame bracket in
place, but not after putting 2 bolts into side of the frame bracket to hold it steady.

As for Ford not doing this OEM...... Live in the Detroit area and have plenty of friends who are Ford employees and even engineers and when you speak with them about the TTB on the vans and even the older F Series trucks, all they do is shake their heads and say "ya, we know it's terrible, BUT".
THANKS AGAIN bud....

Old 03-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Williamvivian84
New User
Ford van highway sway

I have been searching this forum ever since I bought by 2011 econoline 150. My first trip down the parkway was a hell ride, I was getting pushed all over the road by crosswinds. I just recently upgraded to the van from my ford ranger which was like a race car on the highway.
After my first trip with the van I brought it right back to the dealership and explained to them I couldn't even drive over 55 because I feared I would be shoved off the road. After checking the front end, ball joints, alignment, etc...
The mechanic told me everything looked fine. Anyone who bought a newer van knows also that the steering is very tight. You can feel every micro movement. So I thought I just had to get used to the floating feeling. And the tight steering.

After a couple more trips on the highway, and some more reading i thought I would try the steering damper, which I read about on this site. After installation I did notice a slight difference, but getting to know the truck better i could feel the wind was really the problem here.

My next step was to put the rear sway bar on the van. Another pretty easy install. Once again I noticed a slight difference, but I was not completely happy.

So after more reading i figured it was time to upgrade the shocks. I bought Bilstien HD rear shocks. First trip down the highway I felt a huge improvement. You can still feel the cross winds hit the van, but the new shocks do such a good job stabilizing the van the wind no longer affects the steering. 75-80 on the highway in high winds no longer a problem. My next upgrade will be the front shocks. But know I have no problems on the highway racing past 18 wheelers, and taking hard turns feels much better too.

Just wanted to mention, this was a good test vehicle for all these improvements it had 20 miles when I bought it so i know there were no warn parts. And also I had brand new Michelin E rated tires.

Hope this helps anyone with the highway sway problems. It was probably about $600 In upgrades all done In my driveway.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Never had an issue, and I can only put one hand on the wheel of my 99 E-350!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Williamvivian84
New User
My dad just bought a 2012 e 350 and has same problems

Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
brianpeck
New User
After reading all the positive feedback I'm thinking I might have to try this...

Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Millerfish
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI
OEM Stabilizer Setup on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E350-E450-Ford-Econoline-Steering-Stabilizer-Brackets-/370792089086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5654ee45fe&vxp=mtr

Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM
tiopet
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I mounted the steering stabilizer kit from MOOG, what an improvement!
My van is no longer wandering all over the road.

The kit was complete, easy bolt on in less than 30 minutes.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 PM
ziobro
Freshman User
I bid the eBay used parts to $55 as the threads look worn as parts are used. They went for 124.xx. Or more than new.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 AM
tiopet
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by ziobro
I bid the eBay used parts to $55 as the threads look worn as parts are used. They went for 124.xx. Or more than new.
We're both shocked at that!

Add in the cost of the shock and the over-zealous bidders did themselves a huge disservice.

And here I was hoping no one at all would bid on them!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures please!

Especially your '91 and older Van.....

Thanks!

Quick Reply: a real econoline steering fix!