1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:40 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
I forgot to post a pic. I removed the makeshift battery box that was up front and fabbed one for the back. It works great and the cables that were up front are now cleaned up and hidden.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:31 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Finally got the fiberglass clip attached. Arms were fabbed for the front. They attach to the frame using polyurethane bushings. I made some brackets that attach to the cab on one end and to the steel mounts I epoxied to the clip on the other end.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:17 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
I’ve been dreading it for a long, long time but I finally got started on the hidden hinges for the passenger door. It’s been quite a while since I did the drivers side. I put in a lot of time on it today and still not finished. Hopefully 2 more hours on Monday will finish it up. Then I’ll start on the bear claw latches.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:40 PM
gregstith
More Turbo

Major hurdle overcome today. Still need to repair some rot in the door and finish some trim work on the jambs but I now have hidden hinges on both doors. Hopefully I’ll get to work on the latches this next weekend.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:35 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
I only got a couple hours to work on the truck this weekend. I did some studying on how I’m going to use the factory door handles and assembly to work with the bearclaw latches. I think I’ve got it figured out in my mind so I went ahead and got the latch fabbed in. I’ll work on the striker bolt and handle assembly Monday.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
Sometimes it’s the little victories that really motivate me. I wanted to integrate the bearclaw latches with the factory opener assembly so a little figuring and a little fabbing produced this. Still have to replace door hinge bushings but this works like a champ!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:01 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Man having a down week at work really helps with getting things accomplished. I just finished fabbing some seat mounts and I had to alter one of the front legs on each seat. I just got them installed, hooked up the power and ground and I now have power leather seats! I’ll try to get pics tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:38 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
I went back and forth between getting a bench seat and using what I already had. I ended up using the bucket seats that were free! I had to add 2” taller mounting blocks for the rear. I also added 1/8” plate for the front. I love the way they fit and although there isn’t a lot of room in these small cabs for adjustment the ability I have with these power seats is great.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:04 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah Greg those look good! What are they out of? My guess is Ford Explorer? 2001 era? I had a Sport Trac that the seats looked close to yours.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:19 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Yeah Greg those look good! What are they out of? My guess is Ford Explorer? 2001 era? I had a Sport Trac that the seats looked close to yours.
Thank you. No they’re actually out of an ‘06 Freestyle which is my wife’s daily driver. We had a massive failure of the notorious CVT in it several years ago. Instead of replacing the transmission for $6500 I bought a wrecked ‘08 Taurus X and completely gutted the Freestyle and turned it into a Taurus X. So I saved the seats knowing I could use them for my truck.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:26 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Such a great Thread.

Took seven years to get my Truck on the road. Pics / Clips really capture the reality of the "frame-up" journey including, life getting in the way. I like the mod engines and always wanted to see how well they fit. Custom work isn't my particular taste but boy do I respect the work! Especially the Floorboard.

Paintings are unbelievable as well. Great talent. National Geographic Cover Afghan Woman was found 17 years later. She'd had a hard life.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:46 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Originally Posted by eman92082
Such a great Thread.

Took seven years to get my Truck on the road. Pics / Clips really capture the reality of the "frame-up" journey including, life getting in the way. I like the mod engines and always wanted to see how well they fit. Custom work isn't my particular taste but boy do I respect the work! Especially the Floorboard.

Paintings are unbelievable as well. Great talent. National Geographic Cover Afghan Woman was found 17 years later. She'd had a hard life.

Thank you so much for the kind words. Yes it’s really amazing how much she’s changed even though she still has those beautiful eyes.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:36 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
Man do I hate going backwards on projects. For some reason it appears the new carrier bearings in the 9” rear are shot. I really wish now that I would’ve done the explorer rear conversion. Oh well, I’m gonna replace the bearings, try again to set the carrier bearing preload using the adjusters and see what happens. Also going to order a high amp relay and fan controller to get my electric fan operational.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:40 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
After replacing the carrier bearings I still had some noise although not as much. I added some shims to the pinion housing per Ford390gashog and it’s totally quiet now. Thank you fellow Ford Enthusiast!!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
After re-routing the battery cable a while ago I never dealt with the fuel pump just hanging by the lines. I made a bracket to attach it to and help shield it from the muffler.

Quick Reply: 49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!