1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First is congrates on getting it fired up, what a great feeling. Question, have you wired in your inertia switch to shut off the fuel pump if you get hit?? They are in all EFI cars now. I put one in a car that had an electric fuel pump.

As for your body work skills, far superior to mine. Nice work and keep the pictures coming.

jim

Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I have the inertia switch. I tried to scavenge everything off the donor vehicle I thought I would need.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice build!!! those factory ford diagrams are the best way to go if your using the stock harness,! i did the same thing for my `88 powertrain, removed all the looms and traced all the circuits, removed all the ones i didn`t need, mine is ready to pluck in but i want to finish body work first

Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Nice truck thepitshop,

Did you bag the front of your truck as well? I would love to slam my truck. It has a camaro front clip that was on it when I bought it. I really want to get it lower, but I don't want to spend a ton in the bag system. I'm trying to learn more about it.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
mnicosia23
Freshman User
nice progress! body work looks really good keep it up and keep us updated!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
First chance I had to play the video. Sounds great. Keep up the good work. Keep on posting those pix too!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 PM
SunDown
Senior User
Just brought home a 4.6 2v I pulled from a 97 lincoln town car.. I managed to get the engine, trans, computer and what I could get of the harness. These darn Haynes manuals arent worth a whole lot. I need to find a wiring schematic like you found!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gregstith
Nice truck thepitshop,

Did you bag the front of your truck as well? I would love to slam my truck. It has a camaro front clip that was on it when I bought it. I really want to get it lower, but I don't want to spend a ton in the bag system. I'm trying to learn more about it.
front and rear are bagged, bought individual bags from airbaggit.com and built my own brackets and mounting plates.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by thepitshop
front and rear are bagged, bought individual bags from airbaggit.com and built my own brackets and mounting plates.
That's awesome! Do you have any pics of bagging the front? Did you get the compressor and fittings from airbaggit as well?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
there`s a few pictures scatered in my gallery but not mutch about the bagged front end, the above pic is the top bag mount i built, i first built and welded a bottom plate to cover the bottom a-arm, then positioned the bag and collapsed the suspension, i then measured the gap between the bag (collapsed) and top of the suspension mount, cut a piece of tubing 1/4 inch longer than measured ,drilled a hole in the bag mounting plate (center) the size of ready rod i used (don`t remember) welded the ready rod to the bag plate ,then welded the top bag plate to the tube, compressor controller and tank came used from e-bay, air ride technologies system

Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thanks for the info. What size bags did you get?

Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by gregstith
Thanks for the info. What size bags did you get?

While doing some reasearch on air bags I learned that the better ride comes from the bags with the biggest diameter you can fit. As I understand it the bigger bags allow less air pressure for the same height.

Don't forget to feed each bag from a separate source. Otherwise in turns it will transfer air pressure from the bag on the outside to the bag on the inside.

Good luck.

jim

Old 05-07-2011, 08:39 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
When you say from a different source, does that mean different solenoid for each wheel?

I've been searching for a forum on airbag suspension setups and terminology and such. Haven't found a good one yet. Wish I could find one as informative as this site is

Old 05-07-2011, 03:30 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I am no expert but from what I understand that you need 4 valves for 4 bags. That way you don't get any cross feeding. If you pickup a mini truck mag it usually has a large technical section from air baggit. Of course they are trying to sell their product but there is a lot of good info such as air driers from the air compressor, use an aluminum tank as there will be no rust and stuff like that. I have also learned that there are such things as an air leak down valve that controls how fast the bag works going down. It appears there is a lot to it but it is also fairly easy to learn.

You also understand that you can make this as simple or as complicated as you want. You can put a simple schreader valve [like bicycle valve] on each line and fill separately upto a full on multiple control system. Your choice.

If you can do your truck, you can do this.

jim

Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thanks Jim,

I've been reading on Airbaggit.com and layitlow.com. You're right, seems like it's a lot like other aspects of vehicles. You can have a simple farily cheap design or have the expensive designs with all the bling. I'm pretty simple so if/when the time comes to lower my truck that's the route I'll go.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!