1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
St33mF3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice build. Def have some skill.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM
SkinnyPedal
Junior User
watching and learning

Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
racem2271
New User
Originally Posted by gregstith
Thanks. I didn't know what to expect when I first started this wiring project, but after sitting down tracing the wires and labeling things it wasn't bad at all. I'm trying to keep the cost down on things I can control. I do bodywork as well so I should be able to paint it for a reasonable price, but wheels and tires alone can really add up if you go for customs. I also need the grille, radiator, linear actuator for the tilt front end, etc. I don't know about runnning bumpers or not but still lot's of money to spend.
Do what makes you happy and have fun with the truck. Some tech and some old common sense can make a great combination. Congrats.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
It's been a while but here's a little progress. Got the rear fenders stripped. Used Rustoleum aircraft paint remover, then some sandblasting and roloc. Rust in the typical places I guess.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 AM
jay54f100
Senior User
Keep up the good work.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
most people appreciate what we do and the final product but they truly don't know how much work it really is. keep it up and I will be watching. hard work turned into art.

thanks for the great pix
q in 'cuse

Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Yep, those rust areas look suspiciously familiar. Luckily, they weren't hard to fix - just takes time and patience.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM
70BumpClubCab
Junior User
i'm about to subframe my F3 with an 85 crown vic IFS, what do you expect as far as ride height with stock coils from yours, after that Z?? I am thinking about putting this one over top of the stock frame dims, or very shallowly into it, hoping to lay frame with bags or juice in the future. will be running stock 15s 195 60 from the 'vic for a while but plan to run a 22x9 with 265/35 in front. about 29.5" tall or so.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 70BumpClubCab
what do you expect as far as ride height with stock coils from yours, after that Z?? I .
I've got the fiberglass front-end temporarily in place. Tires are tucked above wheel opening approximately 3 inches. I'm trying to get the bed mocked up next to see how the rear will look.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Your cab corner pics are just the step by step process I needed. I'm going to start on my passenger back corner next week and was quite worried on how to do it. I hope you will post pics of the fender repairs as you go along as well. You have no idea how much help those kind of pics are to those of us who dont have any experience at metal work. Usually if I can see how its done I can do it myself. Reminds me of an apprentice plumber I had one time: used to give him the crap jobs to keep him out of my hair till one day he cornered me and said strait to my face --- I'm not stupid I just dont know how to do it. He was one of my best after that. I now know how he felt. Please keep up the good work.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
If my posting pics helps that's great. I've done very little metal work before this truck myself. All I have as far as metal shaping tools are hammer and dollies & a bead roller. Maybe someday I'll start investing in something else.

Here's a little more progress on the fender.

Here I've got the new metal lined up with the bottom of the fender. I then tacked it to hold it steady. I made a cut through new metal and fender at the same time. I kept the new metal pressed down tight with my hand as I cut.

Here's the metal tacked in place and some of it folded over the round bar edging of the fender. Since I don't have a shrinker/stretcher I couldn't make both the horizontal and vertical curves in the patch panel so I cut it in two which allowed me to shape more.

Here's the reinforcement piece on the back side that I'll have to make.

Here's the panel with the edge hammered over the reinforcement.

Here's another piece that I'll have to fix.

I guess I should have taken more pics, but once I get to working it's hard to stop.
Hopefully Friday I'll finish welding this panel and get it worked out better.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Well I got sidetracked when working on the rear fender. I had to make sure I had the lower shape right so I temporarily put it in place to see how it looked with the running board. Then I decided to start working on the stance of the truck.

Here's how the truck was when I bought it.

Here's how it sat after I zeed the frame.

It was up a little too high for my taste so I lowered a bit more. Just how I like it!!

The previous owner put a Camaro front clip on this. I wish I would have changed it out for something more narrow when I was zeeing the frame. I'm really limited on the wheels in the front because of the width. I'm getting some 15 x 6's with enough backspacing to give me 2 more inches on each side so I should be good.

Anyway here's more work on the fender.

Pretty much done with two of the three repairs on this one.

before

after

before

after

I cut out the rot and marked the curvature on the floor.

The inner brace was still solid enough to use. I cleaned it up and primed.

I used two pieces on this repair. I cut a little oversize, primed and held tight against the fender and scribed.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
real nice work, I need to fix some of the same things on mine.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Didn't have a chance to work on the truck much today. I went out tonight for a few minutes and got some rot cut out.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Started on one of the bedsides.

Quick Reply: 49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!