Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

My new home ( a work in progress...)

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Looks like a community's in-the-making out there. Don, they're damn lucky you're joining them.

With your skills, you're going to be a tremendous asset, not only to the neighbors, but to the local "economy" as well!

Pop

Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I kinda wish I wasn't so damn old Marv............I was at a meeting last Fri with the County Commissioners and Reps from 3 wind companies. People around this rural community have no idea of the changes coming. The Reps told us they will need company's that can do field repairs ( like me...) catering food to the field workers, restaurants, parts stores, rental housing, machine shops, etc. They say this project will take the next 20 YEARS! For a young guy with a little money and a lot of drive, this could be life changing............

P.S. I had a meeting this weekend with the partners and they are sending me to Portland for a week (damn...) to get certified to run the sewer plant and the water plant for the radar base, and I'll be taking over the reporting and maintenance on them. For a price of course!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Whereas younger eyes will see it all as "some God-forsaken, desolate place out East, where no one would ever want to live", maturity reveals it as one heckuv' an opportunity!

Reminds me of the title of a song by the Poni-Tails from '58....

Pop

Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Medical would be something that will have to be there also. Both my wife and I are in medical. It may be something to think about.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
I kinda wish I wasn't so damn old Marv............I was at a meeting last Fri with the County Commissioners and Reps from 3 wind companies. People around this rural community have no idea of the changes coming. The Reps told us they will need company's that can do field repairs ( like me...) catering food to the field workers, restaurants, parts stores, rental housing, machine shops, etc. They say this project will take the next 20 YEARS! For a young guy with a little money and a lot of drive, this could be life changing............

P.S. I had a meeting this weekend with the partners and they are sending me to Portland for a week (damn...) to get certified to run the sewer plant and the water plant for the radar base, and I'll be taking over the reporting and maintenance on them. For a price of course!
Are you hiring employees, Don?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Not if I can help it Dave...................

Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
HERE, HERE!

ya know - if I was farther along in paying down the damage to my equity that my wife had done (she stripped it out in a re-fi that appears to have been a debt consolidation among other things) Oregon could become extremely attractive to me.

Unfortunately if I dumped my place under an assumable VA I'd have nothing but pocket change to show for it all at this point. I just now after six years got the equity up to a point that covers the liens on my house that finally committed me to the chap. 7 I filed in '09. They were filed by creditors I didn't know I had until I got home in 2004.

Be that as it may, things are looking up from here on out - and I guarantee ya I'm fixin' to have the last laugh!

I reccommend by the way, that you insulate the living hell out of the underside of the roof itself. Followed up by insulating the floor of the attic before decking it. Doubled up insulation is something I'm about to explore here in the midsouth, because there are 6 critical months in the year that are the highest in heating and cooling costs:
I have identified them as december through march, and july and august.

The winter months (and I just recently ran an analysis of my last three years bills) are the highest, with cooling in summer not quite as steep. All the other months of the year are relatively inexpensive.

I think that with a set of louvers at one end of the attic that can be closed in winter, combined with one or two attic ventilator fans controlled by thermostats at the opposite end, I can reduce the amount I spend on heating and cooling substantially...

I like the idea that in summer it would avoid a lot of A/C use, and in winter the attic becomes a passive heat trap.

Summer temperatures up there are well above 120 degrees, and in winter the house heat is blown right out of the place through the attic vents...

That's about to change!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Finally got a copy of the contract today! Looks like we'll be closing on Tuesday! Finally..............

Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Excellent!

As for me I got the full ticket for lake and res fishing in TN today - on monday I'll begin looking at boats. Whether canoe or whaler or jon boat is still up in the air. But I can go fishing any time I like with all fees paid and a trout ticket into the bargain from now until the 28th of february next year...

*I also collected the most outrageous fly fishing whip that I've ever seen before. It has a Pflueger 1195 Automatic Reel that has taken me the last two days just to figure out
It takes up slack just like magic! It's absolute beauty in graphite technology

Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got a copy of the contract today! Looks like we'll be closing on Tuesday! Finally..............

Congratulations Don. Sure do wish you the best there. Sounds like a real good situation. Keep us posted.

Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Looks like a great place for you Don. I hope you can get it finished quickly!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I hope you can get it finished with the highest quality materials and workmanship!

Take your time and do it right!

But I KNOW you will......

Pop

Old 03-19-2011, 04:11 PM
PDX_F250_78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marv. We think it will make a nice place to retire. and my new shop is less than a quarter mile away!
Don.
Hey Don, why are you going with propane over electric? I have propane and over the last three years with propane over $3 a gallon it isn't the savings it once was with electric really not increasing per watt.

I'm adding in an on demand electric water this summer.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
The propane will only be used when the temps drop below 25 deg or we get a power outage. Our main heat and ac will be a heatpump.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Heat pump is a great way to go, had one in the old house and some day I will add it in here. How deep is the ground water there? A water exchange heat pump is better than a air exchange pump, but cost is higher.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new home ( a work in progress...)