1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

So I didn't entirely waste my day pulling valve covers... Any ideas?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
hamster
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I didn't entirely waste my day pulling valve covers... Any ideas?

I got a set of glow plugs and started to put them in today, had 2 that were infinite resistance on the drivers side so I started there. After getting the cover off I found the UVCH plug about ready to fall off, pushed it in and rechecked the glow plug resistance. All 4 read the same at .6 ohms. This would be a good thing right? (didn't put the new ones in)

Pulled the passenger side and the plug was not as loose, but loose, plugged it in and the glow plugs have the same, .6 ohms. Thankfully none of the terminals looked toasted at all.

Did the .50 Mod, torqued all the injector and rocker bolts (some were a bit loose) and patched it together.

Thought I was doing good until I tried to start it, it took a bit of cranking, romped a few times and quit. (around 23 degrees F) Would not even think of firing again. Quit before my batteries died.

I checked the GPR and when I turn the key on the voltage drops to 10.6 on both sides, I'm guessing weak batteries may be causing the problem? Also while cranking I can hear a relay chattering under the dash, sounds like it may be in the steering column area?

Very thankful for this forum and the knowlege out there on these engines, soon to be a supporter of this site!

Don

Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 PM
pbr man
Elder User
At 10.6 volts on the batteries, it will not start. The clicking under the dash is from the low voltage. You didn't waste your time as you got the injectors and rockers torqued. Get the batteries charged up and give it another shot and see what happens.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 PM
hamster
Junior User
I think I'm going to get some new batteries on Monday, they start out 12.8V but drop that far when the key is turned on, can't imagine the glow plugs taking that much out of them.

They are the original 2001 batteries yet so they had a good run! I checked the easy one with my refractometer and it didn't show any dead cells, but I've seen stranger things happen

Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Chattering relays is your truck telling you the batteries are weak. If they're 10 years old, you can't complain.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:51 AM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
Im sure since the glowplugs are now working correctly, and all are energizing like they should its creating a larger pull on the batteries. Rip them out....They are 10 years old, get some good 850cca's or more and drop them babies in. She should fire over. Keep us posted on this!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
never seen a battery last that long plus he's in Michigan

Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nookiemonster55
never seen a battery last that long plus he's in Michigan
That is a crazy long time for those batteries to last.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Definely batteries, and man, what a run on those. I might be a little off key but If I had new glow plugs and had the covers off, I would have went and changed them out, and keep the used ones for back up or something. At least you know they'll be good for a looong time..

Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
WOW!!!! original Motorcrafts?? 750CCAs?? WOW!!!!! 10 years!!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
I'm on the third set now on my truck. I've never had a failure, but I REALLY don't want to be stranded 1000 miles from home while on vacation.
I replaced them the first year after buying my truck in 2004-they were five years old then.
Then I replaced them again last year.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
I was thinking the same thing. I am on my fifth set of Motorcraft batteries. Pretty much have to change them out every two years, almost like clockwork.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM
hamster
Junior User
For some reason I've always good luck with batteries in all my vehicles, usually about 10 years. Our 2000 300M has the original in it yet and it will probably die tomorrow now that I mentioned it. Our 2005 500 only made it about 4 years before it shorted out though. I know some people don't like them but I always run Interstate for replacements and have never had an issue.

I will get a new set tomorrow and let you know how it starts, I think it will cure a lot of problems.

I was going to put the new glow plugs in but being at the low end of the scale on resistance I thought I would chance it and leave them in for now. If I have to tear it apart again down the road it never hurts to monitor the turbo and such. I'm just glad I have a box full of tools from my wrenching days yet.

The only issue I ran into was the o-ring on the oil fill tube was swelled beyond re-use, happended to find one in my tool box that was the right size. If you pull the covers I would reccomend getting new orings for the oil fill tube and the filter on the drivers side cover, I reused the ones on the filter but I get the feeling they are going to leak.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If I was that far in it and had new glow plugs sitting on the workbench, I'd still have swapped them in like big poppa said. Kind of moot point now I guess. At least you got the harness connectors secured and that won't cause you issued down the road. Good that you could do it at home instead of on the road.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
hamster
Junior User
OK, so I got my new batteries in tonight...

Pre .50 Mod and batteries (for the last three years at least) would start my truck in cold weather and it would take about three minutes to FILL my 30X56 barn with smoke. Open the overhead and service doors and the smoke would roll out and you could hardly see across the barn.

After Mod and batteries...

Got the batteries in, put my volt meter on the GPR, 12.6V Hot side, 0 on other, turned the key on and it read 10.6 (thought I had the same problem yet) until the wait to start light went out, cliimbed to 11.3, started it and it did romp some but no smoke! It did some 'emission' smoke for about a minuteor so as soon as the relay kicked out, let it run for a good 10 minutes and and there was just a haze in the barn that was still breathable.

My plug on the drivers side must have been loose for a long time. I am now very thankful I never got stranded somewhere with all the miles I racked up this past year.

The test on the torquing everything will be tomorrow when I put on a couple hundred miles.

Thanks to all who contributed to the articles and the replies that made this job easy to figure out!!

Don

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Good work Don.

I was just about to change GP's on the X, but they all ohmed out at .4 - .5 so I changed GPCM. Starts perfect down to 5* now. 243k miles, but I only get 2-3yrs out of PSD batteries...

If I had VC's off and GP's in hand - I woulda changed them unless I was really, really broke. The good news is the 2nd time is always easier!

Search this Thread