Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best Over-the-Counter Disc Brake Pads

Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Lance Hogan
Elder User
Lance Hogan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best Over-the-Counter Disc Brake Pads

I would like to replace my front brake pads (1955; MII IFS) and would like to get opinions on which over-the-counter brake pads are the best (stopping ability; little dust). Below are a list of different pads my local autopart stores sale. Any input would be appreciated.

Wagner
Raybestos
Brake Best (Oreillys)
Duralast Gold (Autozone)
Wearever (Advanced Auto)
Safety Stop (NAPA)
Ultra Premium (NAPA)
TruStop (NAPA)
<OEBC </O
<O</O
<OLance</O

Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.
Avoid cheap, plain organic pads like the plague. They are quiet and easy on the rotors, but they wear fairly quickly and the dust is horrific. Semi-metallic pads are so-so for both wear and dust. The best pads that I've used are the ceramic ones. They are fairly pricey, but they wear forever and produce very little dust. The only rear downside is that you don't want to use them with a cheap, soft Chinese iron rotor as they will wear out a set of cheap rotors over the life of the pads. A quality, name brand rotor will hold up just fine.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I vote for Auto Zone pads if you're going to put a lot of miles on the vehicle. They have a lifetime guarantee-even for wear. Over the life of my Transport I probably received 6 sets of replacement pads for free.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
SCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage View Post
Avoid cheap, plain organic pads like the plague. They are quiet and easy on the rotors, but they wear fairly quickly and the dust is horrific. Semi-metallic pads are so-so for both wear and dust. The best pads that I've used are the ceramic ones. They are fairly pricey, but they wear forever and produce very little dust. The only rear downside is that you don't want to use them with a cheap, soft Chinese iron rotor as they will wear out a set of cheap rotors over the life of the pads. A quality, name brand rotor will hold up just fine.
I agree with blue oval, Inexpensive means cost more in the long run. I done too many times the inexpensive way.