1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rescued a 49 f-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 PM
segeorge982
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rescued a 49 f-1

The wife and i decided last summer that it was time to get our first big project vehicle. After a bit of research we decided to look for a 47-50 F1 or F2(wife likes the way these years looked the best, who am I to argue?) In early november, a truck popped up for sale in our area, 1949 F-1, 6cyl.

The story we were told goes like this; It was her ex husband's truck that he got as a gift from her father 10 years ago with the intention of restoring it. Like always "it ran when it was parked". 2 years into the project he got frustrated and parked it behind the house in the woods. After making a trip to check it out we learned it was not in as good a shape as she thought. Much deliberation ensued and we ultimately decided on rescuing it anyways.

The po told us the history that she knew and based on the little research i've managed to do so far it seems to check out. The truck was originally built in the Norfolk, Va plant. The original owner used it as a farm truck until her father purchased it. It was used as his daily driver until 1977.

It needs a lot of work and we(I) are still figuring out a plan. The bed is non existent, the po removed it from the truck and stood it on the tailgate in the dirt. The rear fenders are in pretty good shape, front clip and hood are good, the cab and doors need some tlc.

Not sure if this link will work, there is a gallery of the day we pulled it out of the woods on my wife's photography website here. RustyBucket - Shades of Red Photography - Lifestyle, Pet & Wedding Photography Serving Cary, Apex, Raleigh NC . We used 3 other ford trucks (and my subaru) to drag it out of the woods and into my driveway, including a friends 66 f100 we put together in Highschool.

Here it rests in my driveway, I've been slowly disassembling it since thanksgiving.

My favorite picture from this adventure:

Shot of friends 66 f100 pulling the f1 off the trailer:

-Steven

Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 AM
49m47
Mountain Pass
You got your work cut out for you. But its a 49', It doesn't get much better then that.

I'm kind of partial to 49's

Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on a great find and even better story.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to FTE, you could not have come to a better place as you begin your new project.
There were not any good pictures of the bed, but I did see it in a couple. Although you can buy entire bed kits, you can also buy parts and you may find that some of that is indeed usable. The glass all looked in tact, but if you need to replace any, it is all flat glass and any local glass company can normally do them pretty cheap. The running boards look pretty bad, you may find some old ones on ebay, craigslist or others, but there is also a guy near Chattanooga that makes fiberglass ones, he usually list them on ebay.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Welcome to FTA (Ford truckers anonymous) meetings are every day.

Hi, my name is Tim and I have a problem......

Your project brings back lots of memories. What caught my attention is the passenger door handle - I don't believe I've ever seen one in perfect horizontal position. The usually droop, sag or flop around in the breeze. Congrats!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
segeorge982
Trailering
I am sure I will learn a lot over time about the quirks these trucks have. The previous owner's wife tried to keep track of all the parts her ex pulled off the truck, so I have the original jack stand, the manual crank rod, all the trim, horns, and 2 of the original hub caps(not that i plan on using them.) It also has a set of bucket seats in the cab that I have been unable to find any information on, I know they are not stock, but are really old.

My main focus is to get a solid set of floors in it and replace the usual rust spots on the cab with patch panels. Motor is frozen right now and actually looks like it may have a blown headgasket.

Unfortunately, most of the bed is not salvageable at all. I pulled the fenders off, except for rust in the bottoms corners and a couple of dents they are pretty solid. The front bed panel basically folded in half when we picked it up out of the dirt. One of the bed sides has been mostly claimed by cancer. The other bed side might be salvageable for somebody with considerably better metal skills than me. As for the tailgate, well it spent 10 years face down in the dirt best I can tell. Push too hard with your hand and it will go right through the panel. My wife wants to cut the middle panel with the ford logo out and make a clock for the garage with it as is. I have a lead on a salvage yard near charlotte that is run by a couple of guys that don't believe in the internet but specialize in old trucks. May take a trip out there in the next couple of weeks to see what they have.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM
needhelp49
Elder User
have fun good luck theres alot off folks on here to help ya out i got a 6 sitting the garge that runs great you can about have if ya ever get in this part of the world as far as beds go you can buy new ones

Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is a great find! Welcome to the forum.

I did a lot of bed research for my F1 project. Used beds for F1's come along now and then, but most need a lot of work. I was on a trip to Michigan and stopped in to see Northern Classic Trucks. They make new bed parts and seem to do a pretty good job. It'd be hard to beat their prices.
Northern Classic Trucks - Reproduction parts for your antique Ford truck .

Dan

Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you are planning to replace the bed you might want to check with Dan Carpenter in Norwood, NC
DAN CARPENTER'S SPECIALTIES,1951-52, 1953-56, 1957-72 Ford Truck Beds

Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pull the heads, hone the cylinders, free it up an fire it up. Than build a wood flat bed and drive it for a while to decide what the truck want's and needs. Let it tell you that way.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

What are your plans? Restore or modify? Artic's advice is good, see if you can make a runner out of it before tearing it apart.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I am with Artic y block on this one. Just get it up and running and steering and stopping and just drive it. It won't belong before she tells what she wants... You will know and then you go off the deep end just like the rest of us.

jim

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM
tlb
Elder User

I have the original tail gate from my 48 F1 that i want to try to sell. Let me know if interested.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
gobybike
Junior User
Welcome from another Tarheel (native but relocated) and fan of 49's. This is THE BEST site for getting help with these things. Seems like every time I log on to ask a question someone has recently posted a related thread and the answer is already there, it's sort of magical. Good luck and keep us all posted.

Jake

Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM
segeorge982
Trailering
Thanks for the warm welcome. The plan is actually to see if we can get the old flattie running, if nothing else but just for the hell of it. As far as the future goes, we are still working on that. I have access to a couple of different small and big block fords blocks, friend with the '66 is trying to convince me to build a motor like his, 460 bored and stroked with the cobra jet heads off his father's 70 cyclone spoiler. I'm undecided between a flathead v-8 or a 302.

My wife and I are both of us are cursed with a glutinous lust for power so we will probably modify, although the thought of restoring it as original has crossed our minds, odometer shows 71k. But the original bench seat is not in it either, replaced by 2 buckets a long time ago. Something tells me this is the start of another expensive addiction.

Thanks for the advice on the beds, i'll have seen northern classic trucks stuff but havent heard of Dan Carpenter until now.

Quick Reply: Rescued a 49 f-1