Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My truck no longer starts without plugin

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck no longer starts without plugin

If I plug it in for a while or preferably all nite, it will start and run great. If I don't it sounds like its on its last legs and barely starts after three trys or so. I live on the Gulf and it never gets that cold here anyway so I guess I need new glow plugs or something?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a GPR led so you can see when the glow plugs are on?You should check the GPR with a meter when the key is on and see if/what it is putting out.
You may need a Stancor GPR.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It probably oil related.. when did you change your oil last.. and what oil are you using..
Another way to check you GPR system is to just use a digital volt meter at the battery with the key on... If your battery voltage drops from 12v to about 11v just after turning the ignition key to on, but not start.. your glow plug system is working..
Also if you switch to a syn oil like Rotella 5w40, you don't need to plug it in..(unless it getting below zero)..
PS: This is what I use to check the glow plug system.. by just watching the voltage.. I leave it plugged in all the time..
http://www.amazon.com/Vector-VEC008-...2296513&sr=8-1

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Where on the gulf? I'm in al. If you are close I can probably help you out.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also check my gallery pictures for a check of your GPR..

Old 01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say Glow plugs or GPR

Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Thanks yall, I will look into this..

I live in Texas which is a bit of a drive from Ala. I am somewhat of a dummy mechanic and just do alot of the stuff I learn here just out of sheer brokeness as well as the mechanics I go to half the time ending up causing me way more problems than they are worth. Just one example is when I had my ball joints and bearings replaced last year the shop failed to torque one wheel back on properly and it fell off at low speed fortunately and they spent the better part of the rest of year repairing all the damages from that. Place is called "Auto Answers" and if you live in this area don't ever bring a vehicle there.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Yea. Just a lil to far away. Get a test light and check both post on the gpr. 1 should have pwr with key off. The other with key on

Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Just changed the oil in fact...

I thought I would try the Valvoline diesel 15-40. Everyone here loves that shell syn and I did try it but my truck didn't seem to like it and in fact consumed a bunch of it so I drained it. I also changed the fuel filter and use Powerservice all the time. I had the pump, #8 changed out and the tank and lines cleaned two years ago in Rock Springs because of bad Bio I used.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I still bet it is a GPR problem.Check it out like the threads read and get back to us....Big howdy to a fella Texan
Where abouts on the Gulf.We have several members down there that would help ya?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Ok thanks.

I live pretty much across the street from the Johnson Space Center in the "Clear" lake area.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
It probably oil related.. when did you change your oil last.. and what oil are you using..
Another way to check you GPR system is to just use a digital volt meter at the battery with the key on... If your battery voltage drops from 12v to about 11v just after turning the ignition key to on, but not start.. your glow plug system is working..
Also if you switch to a syn oil like Rotella 5w40, you don't need to plug it in..(unless it getting below zero)..
PS: This is what I use to check the glow plug system.. by just watching the voltage.. I leave it plugged in all the time..
Amazon.com: Vector VEC008 Digital LCD Voltmeter, 12 Volt: Automotive

Got me one of these from Walmart for the same price. Plug it in and it 'Checks for current voltsof the batts.'

turn key to on.

Check for draw down as GPR comes on

After starting truck.

Watch meter to know how long the GPR stays on

After GPR goes off with truck running

Shows Alternator output.

I like it.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Josh Longmire
New User
I bet it's the GPR to cause mine done the same thing. If it got below 40 had to plug it up. Then finally it got to the point plugging it wouldn't help. So then i went and bought glow plugs and the relay. I put the relay in and it started right up without me changing the glow plugs. SO i would get a GPR

Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
My buddies truck was doing that and we found out that one of the batteries was weak. We put a new one in and it worked great.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Tell me about the biodiesel in your sig. Are you making it yourself? Ever run WVO or SVO? How many miles do you go between oil changes? How many miles since the last oil change?

If it's glow plug or relay related, then you will see a bunch of white smoke when it finally starts, or while it's cranking without being plugged in.

However since it was around 70 deg today here, and you live well South of me, I'm guessing you may have some worn injectors. Finding someone with AE that can do a buzz test on a cold engine will help. If you don't have the heavy white smoke issue, you can pull your valve covers, crank or start the truck and observe the oil discharge coming from each injector. My guess is you've got several injectors not firing (discharging oil) when the engine is too cold so it won't start. All injectors should spit the same amount of oil while cranking or running. If some aren't, those injectors are not working properly.

Quick Reply: My truck no longer starts without plugin