6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
While the Titan is 52 gallons, I would be happy with a 50 gallon number. Close enough for me...
Rick,

The Titan website advertises 50 gallons as the replacement for the short bed OEM tank size. When I filled my new tank the first time, I put in 10 gallons from two plastic gas cans and then 40.3 gallons at the pump for a total of 50.3 gallons. There is some variable in how much was actually in the gas cans because the way I fill them they probably had 5.5 gallons each for a hand-fill total of about 11 gallons. Then if you consider tank tilt, fuel foam, etc., you might get 52 gallons in but that would be pushing it. I should have been more precise on my one and only opportunity to really know for sure but alas, I did not.

Like you said, for all intents and purposes, 50 gallons should be the practical capacity. I put in almost 47 gallons on my last fill meaning I was basically running on fumes. Those last three plus gallons must have been pretty thin on the bottom of that big tank. For everyone who is going to chastise me for running that low, thanks in advance.

50 gallons is my vote Peter, er... Paul.

Thanks.

Epic

Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just don't call me Mary

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Rick,

50 gallons is my vote Peter, er... Paul.

Thanks.

Epic

Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Epic...

...like I said...50 gallons is fine with me...heck, I could have added wrong on my first fill...shame on you for running so low...I have never needed more than 46.1 gallons to refill mine. I will say this though, when I first got the truck home from Nebraska I let Deb take it to go antique shopping with her friend. They were going for the day and likely were traveling to their favorite place 90 miles away. I told her to watch the fuel and do not drive too far if the low fuel light came on. When she got home she asked me if 60 miles was too far? I prayed I would get the 4 blocks to the fuel stop by my house. The stock tank took 25.5 gallons. Too close for me but I never said anything to Deb...maybe I should have...not

Regards

Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I read Epic's fuel comment as punishing himself so he probably knows now.

25.5 added GAL in the stock tank, wow.
I would have been to chicken to start it and used fuel cans.

I've been as low as 26 MTE (fuel alert activated a mile from the station) on the stock tank and I've never seen 22.x added GAL on a sales receipt. I know, it was much too low but I was headed to get fuel.
I only fill the filler neck three additional times (wait for foam to settle) after the initial fill so I'm sure there is more room.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kper05
I read Epic's fuel comment as punishing himself so he probably knows now.

25.5 added GAL in the stock tank, wow.
I would have been to chicken to start it and used fuel cans.

I've been as low as 26 MTE (fuel alert activated a mile from the station) on the stock tank and I've never seen 22.x added GAL on a sales receipt. I know, it was much too low but I was headed to get fuel.
I only fill the filler neck three additional times (wait for foam to settle) after the initial fill so I'm sure there is more room.
If it had been further than 4 blocks I would have went with a can. The station is 4 blocks straight down hill. It would almost roll that far. I do not fuel there often as they are the highest price in town. At that point though, I would have paid double...

Regards

Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any body hear any news on this update? - Also can someone please advise on what is the part number to replace the electrical connection that plugs into the sending unit - My Gauge is not correctly working all the time - Sometimes it works - most times it doesn't - I suspect that the wires inside of the connection is loose as I had a terrible time removing the electric connection on the stock tank and I may have pulled too hard on the connector - So I will replace it and see if that resolves the issue...

Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Paul is working with the programmers. He said he would be back when he had an answer.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
WOW - you can read just like the rest of us - furthermore that was only part of my question.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER
WOW - you can read just like the rest of us - furthermore that was only part of my question.
Wow, what did I say that set you off? You asked for an update and I gave you the current status...Glad you can read...I did not know you had to have all the answers before you could answer any of the questions. Here is my answer to the rest of the questions...I do not know...happy

...thought for a minute I was on a different site

Old 02-16-2011, 11:21 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope I have not heard anything. I don't know what the part number is.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:31 AM
brmccolley
Senior User
Subscribed

Ordered my Titan tank yesterday. Subscribed for further information.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by brmccolley
Ordered my Titan tank yesterday. Subscribed for further information.
I'm waiting to see if the calibration can be changed before I order mine. On another note while we wait, has anybody put off-road fuel in their truck? I'm pretty sure its the same stuff, just a different dye. And yes I understand why there is dye in there.....

Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lexustbs
I'm waiting to see if the calibration can be changed before I order mine. On another note while we wait, has anybody put off-road fuel in their truck? I'm pretty sure its the same stuff, just a different dye. And yes I understand why there is dye in there.....
The only part of the fuel equation that does not compute properly is the MTE. The gauge works perfectly and the trip meter counts the gallons used quite accurately. I just zero Trip A when I fill the tank and go from there. I have almost 10 gallons left when the low fuel warning comes on. I will be pleased if they get the programming so we can regain MTE accuracy but I am so glad I bought this tank. The truck is too much fun to drive to stop for fuel all the time.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes "off road" fuel comes out of the same tank, and doesn't even have dye in it. I used to fill up at a little country place where the off road pump was out back, but they said it tied into the same tank as their retail pumps.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:26 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sportscraft
Sometimes "off road" fuel comes out of the same tank, and doesn't even have dye in it. I used to fill up at a little country place where the off road pump was out back, but they said it tied into the same tank as their retail pumps.
That's interesting...wonder if the Fed's knew that...

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)