6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
scottjima
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great input here. I have a related question. I currently have an in-bed toolbox/tank which holds 45 gallons. It has a valve which switches between the factory and aux tank. It also switches the sending unit between the two tanks so the aftermarket tank is shown on the fuel guage when running from the aux tank.

I saw references to two sending units and two tank readings. This implies there is another set of wires to connect to another sending unit. Where and what color are these wires? Is there any programming to allow a second fuel level to display in the menus?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by rickatic
That's interesting...wonder if the Fed's knew that...
They do now.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scottjima
Thanks for all the great input here. I have a related question. I currently have an in-bed toolbox/tank which holds 45 gallons. It has a valve which switches between the factory and aux tank. It also switches the sending unit between the two tanks so the aftermarket tank is shown on the fuel guage when running from the aux tank.

I saw references to two sending units and two tank readings. This implies there is another set of wires to connect to another sending unit. Where and what color are these wires? Is there any programming to allow a second fuel level to display in the menus?
well, this implies that the computer was programmed to accept two input signals. it seems that the dual tank option was never actually developed, so the wires would not actually be there (I don't think, personally )..

Sam

Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Titan Tank Installed

I contacted my usual dealership to schedule the PCM programming, but they said they couldn't change the fuel tank capacity. I have a call in to two more dealerships to find someone who knows what they're doing. In the meanwhile, I'll keep monitoring this thread until issue is resolved.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The real fix for the 50 gallon Titan MTE readings is not ready yet.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by lexustbs
I'm waiting to see if the calibration can be changed before I order mine. On another note while we wait, has anybody put off-road fuel in their truck? I'm pretty sure its the same stuff, just a different dye. And yes I understand why there is dye in there.....
I too would like to know other than the dye is there a difference in off road fuel? I understand why as well.

PS I'm waiting to order my 50 gallon tank until the issue is resolved as well

Thanks

Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
I guess I do not understand the waiting to order the tank until the MTE calibration can be CUSTOM programmed for tank size. Everything works with the Titan tank installed except the computer does not know you have a bigger capacity. The fuel sending unit works perfectly. The trip computer figures fuel used and mpg as accurately as it did with the stock tank. I reset my Trip A computer at every fillup and it tells me all I need to know about how much fuel I have left. If the MTE reading accuracy is the only reason for not buying the tank now, I have to wonder if you really need the larger tank.

Regards

Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
I just wish the new tank was not $1000+....For me it would be just for the convenience of the capacity. I dont do too many long hauls with the TT.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
[QUOTE=rickatic;10049428]I guess I do not understand the waiting to order the tank until the MTE calibration can be CUSTOM programmed for tank size. Everything works with the Titan tank installed except the computer does not know you have a bigger capacity. The fuel sending unit works perfectly. The trip computer figures fuel used and mpg as accurately as it did with the stock tank. I reset my Trip A computer at every fillup and it tells me all I need to know about how much fuel I have left. If the MTE reading accuracy is the only reason for not buying the tank now, I have to wonder if you really need the larger tank.

Regards[/QUOTE/]

Your right. I don't need the bigger tank. But I sure would like to have it. But being a want, I'm going to wait till all my gauge functions work before I do dive in. does anybody NEED this tank really? 300 miles is just about all I want to drive, then I need a stretch break. But at the same time I hate fueling, so this would eliminate the problem.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 AM
brmccolley
Senior User
Yes, the capability is needed

There are plenty who transport horses or other cargo long distances across the country. It does help to have the flexibility to last through to a distant stop where the trailer can easily be manuevered through the parking lot rather than deal with what is immediately available. It's also very helpful during bad weather conditions. There are many other individual reasons, but those are just a couple.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
I do get the 300 mile stops but with the stock tank that is beyond the range of safe feelings for me pulling my fiver. It also puts you at the mercy of the local fuel prices. Often I find less costly fuel within a hundred miles or so of where I had to stop or run out of fuel. While working in Indiana, I found a fuel stop that was 30 cents cheaper than any other fuel stop. I was there 3 weeks and saved almost $100 on fuel. I could make it home, 350 miles on less than a 1/2 tank, and the extra fuel when I got home would have cost me 40 cents a gallon more to put back in at fill up.

I also get the hesitation on the $1000 price. I posted here before I bought the tank that I was choking a little on the price. I have no regrets about taking the $900 pre-production pricing plunge. I am extremely pleased with my Titan Tank. I guess that makes it worth what I spent. YMMV

Regards

Old 03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by rickatic
I guess I do not understand the waiting to order the tank until the MTE calibration can be CUSTOM programmed for tank size. Everything works with the Titan tank installed except the computer does not know you have a bigger capacity. The fuel sending unit works perfectly. The trip computer figures fuel used and mpg as accurately as it did with the stock tank. I reset my Trip A computer at every fillup and it tells me all I need to know about how much fuel I have left. If the MTE reading accuracy is the only reason for not buying the tank now, I have to wonder if you really need the larger tank.

Regards
I think some people, including myself, want to see things work the way they were intended to work. May sound silly, but there are a number of people who think this way.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
I think some people, including myself, want to see things work the way they were intended to work. May sound silly, but there are a number of people who think this way.
...count me in as one of those types as well...and the factory tank sizes work well with the MTE calculations...the difference here is Ford did not make provisions in the software to provide for aftermarket tank sizes. The ability to do so was added in February of this year by Ford to graciously accommodate a request for this capability. Paul Bruckne hand carried the request to the Ford programmers. He did not get what he asked for and has returned for another shot at it. Ford is certainly not obligated in any manner to give the aftermarket tank owners a custom programming capability, but it would be nice.

I guess I bought my Titan tank not anticipating any help from Ford so my situation is different...but if I had to do it over again, the tank is worth it to me. I have not seen any of the current owners of these tanks complaining about a hardship with the MTE calculations...maybe I missed something

Regards

Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I think in your case function outweighed form. The value of the tank outweighed the minor inconvenience of the MTE presentation. Some of us **** rententive types want both! Same reason I held out buying an iPad until it had the cameras!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM
6.7 hillybilly
New User
I to have the Titan tank, love it.. Like Ricatic the MTE is not a big deal. Just set trip A and I'm good to go. Sure the $1,000.00 is a lot but I would spend it again in a heart beat. The fit and finish of the Titan tank is 2nd to none. So if your wanting the Titan tank go for it, I'm sure Ford will have the MTE worked out some time.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)