6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my head hurts...they could have made this so easy...I wonder if AutoEnginuity will find a solution.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rdenis
Nope, that was my first attempted "workaround". Two tanks, one sender = low fuel warnings, fuel gauge to empty and a couple of DTC's.

So with 37, 37, one tank, one sender as the settings - no warnings and no DTC's - it works, but I can't tell if it is calculating correctly or just ignoring one of the 37 settings since the other parameters are one tank and one sender. So the real test is 26, 26, one tank, one sender. If that works, we have a solution.

Convoluted huh?
Okay, that makes more sense. I'll wait for your results until I run to the dealer for my change.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I guess I forgot to ask the question is their wiring some where already on the truck for a second sending unit? Or if you add a unit (as in actually adding a second tank) do you hook it up either parallel or in series to the existing sending unit? Seems like that would effect how the computer interrupts the signals its getting. If their is 2 sets of wires then I don't see how it would be possible to tell the computer 2 tanks with 1 sending unit since the computer would "know" that's not an acceptable parameter.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:31 PM
boats313
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you could tap into your sending units wires to send another signal to the truck (second sending unit/tank). It would see 2 tanks and figure the on board fuel as twice as much for the same tank level. Set the computer at 2-26 gal tanks and the on board fuel would drop at the right pace.
But when you have 2 tanks you would have a way to select between the 2 and the gauge would read whichever one you have selected. So your gauge would still be off, but your MTE would be very close.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
rdenis
Tuned
UPDATE

Just as I suspected, despite programming two fuel tank capacities of 26 and 26 gallons, it only calculates the remaining DTE based on one tank with the parameters of 26, 26, one tank, one sender.

So no joy for anyone with a fuel tank over 40 gallons. Hopefully engineering will add some larger parameters in the near future.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I exchanged e-mails this morning with the IDS programmer for this feature advising that our customers needed to be able to configure up to 100 gallons in 1 gallon increments and that what was released on IDS doesn't provide much for the end user. Basically explained again the situation with aftermarket fuel tanks and MTE calculation and the range issue with the smaller tank size....so in short, I'm still working on it.

-Paul

Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks Paul. We'll hang out.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Thanks Paul.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
6.7 hillybilly
New User
Thanks I hope we can add 50 gals. Thanks again Paul.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
I hope this can be changed. I miss my MTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:19 AM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Originally Posted by 6.7 hillybilly
Thanks I hope we can add 50 gals. Thanks again Paul.
I beleive the Titan tanks are 52 gals? on a different note is anyone having problems with the sendig unit not reading a correct fuel level? I suspect that the plug for the sending unit might be losing contact - I might have loosened the connection trying to get it off of the original tank - Man what a pain that was - I couldnt see, and the harness is very short - I guess it was designed to be removed when the bed is off.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick update, I'm making some progress on adding configurable tank sizing to IDS other than the current standard sizes. The software will not support allowing input of a selectable variable between X and 100 gallons as I would have liked. However, after discussing with the software engineer, we're going to see if we can add a couple of the standard tank sizes that are currently available from the aftermarket.

From what I've been able to determine, Titan has a 50 gallon tank, and will have a 65 gallon tank shortly for the long wheel base trucks. Transfer Flow also has a 50 gallon tank. So at this point, I'm leaning towards adding just those two variables. If your aware of another tank size that should be considered, please provide your input in this thread.

Now all I have to do is convince the controls folks to allow these added configurations. Hopefully this won't be a problem and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

-Paul

Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Peter, Thanks for your work to satisfy the larger aftermarket tanks, I know everyone will welcome this highly thought about IDC option. I just spoke to Titan and I will have some additional information to post as it relates to all aftermarket tanks (capacity sizes) I will also include direct contact information. Once again thanks.

Gus

Old 02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER
Peter, Thanks for your work to satisfy the larger aftermarket tanks, I know everyone will welcome this highly thought about IDC option. I just spoke to Titan and I will have some additional information to post as it relates to all aftermarket tanks (capacity sizes) I will also include direct contact information. Once again thanks.

Gus
Paul - sorry I got your name confused - I meant Paul not Peter. I apologize for that name snafu.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While the Titan is 52 gallons, I would be happy with a 50 gallon number. Close enough for me...

Thank you, Paul

Regards

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)