6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lexustbs
I doubt that your 50 gal tank will fit in a long bed by just bolting it up. Plus I doubt your fuel lines and sensors will line up. I think your best bet is to either take out you Titan tank install OEM and sell you Titan or just eat the loss and get another tank for your new long bed.
I would try the standard tank for a few months before I did anything. You can only drive so long before you have to drain your own tank.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
I would try the standard tank for a few months before I did anything. You can only drive so long before you have to drain your own tank.
Well I have to agree with you as far as waiting and trying out the new tank.

I did go and trade in the 2011 for the 2012. The new truck is sweet!

We'll see if I'm happy with the 37 gal tank or not. For me it was never how long I could drive without a trip to the head. I can always just pull over anywhere, jump in the 5'ver, and be back on the road in a few minutes. And I do that often. The real advantage is how long you can go between fuel stops when towing. That's what eats up the time and can be a PITA. Finding a place where you can fit in, then those of us with the diesel, usually having to go inside to turn the pump on and back in to pay.

Last year I did a 11,000 mile trip pulling the 5'ver and my 50gal was a huge bonus over the 26gal. But looking at my spreadsheet my average gallons per fill was 27. My largest was 45gal. When I'm unhooked I always look to top off before hooking back up and hitting the road. So..... since my average was 27gal I think the only time the 37gal will even be an issue will be those times when I'm in trucker mode and driving 500+ miles a day and wanting to make good time.

Then again, that 65gal tank sure sounds sweet...... ;-)

Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Originally Posted by gkerlin
1) Install the stock tank back in the F250 before I trade it in, and put the 50 gal in the new F350.
When I listed my GMC on craigslist I listed it at 2 prices, one with all my extras and one without. I had junked my original tank. I was getting offers of almost $600 for the used Titan. Sounds high but that is half of new.

Wish I had kept the old tank, 2 hours labor and save $600.

2) Install a new titan in the F350. Their site is a little confusing in this regard but from looking around it appears that they make a 65 gal tank for the long bed. (I think this is just too big for me) Do they have 65 gal as a choice on the DTE Flash? Really don't want to spend the extra $$ for another tank however so this option is my least likely.
Yes, 65 gallon for the long bed. Too big? You don’t “have” to fill it.
Are you towing? 5<sup>th</sup> wheel?
And yes there is a simple flash to change the DTE, my dealer did it at no charge (I gave him the instructions)

4) Do nothing and live with the 37 gal tank on the F350.
That is a decent size if you are not towing and would probably be sufficient.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
I did go and trade in the 2011 for the 2012. The new truck is sweet!
Skip my comments above

We'll see if I'm happy with the 37 gal tank or not. For me it was never how long I could drive without a trip to the head. I can always just pull over anywhere, jump in the 5'ver, and be back on the road in a few minutes. And I do that often. The real advantage is how long you can go between fuel stops when towing. That's what eats up the time and can be a PITA. Finding a place where you can fit in, then those of us with the diesel, usually having to go inside to turn the pump on and back in to pay.
Well that answers another question. How big of a trailer? I get anywhere from 9.5-11 MPG towing. Using some cushion that gives me about 300 miles of towing. Since that is around 6 hours, fuel and bathroom breaks never coincide.

Having the 65 gallons gives me the advantage of either buying fuel when it is convenient or going for price instead of necessity. With all the smart phone apps now available, price shopping can make sense if you “don’t have to get fuel at the next exit “.

Sometimes it is not price or need it now, just pulling in for fuel and looking at access or lines.Pull right out and try the next stop.

I typically am getting about 45 gallons during a fill up. And the same as you, sometimes a lot less, but sometimes more.

Then again, that 65gal tank sure sounds sweet...... ;-)
It is.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
you dont need to sell me on the big tank :-) I'm a big Fan.

My comment about the 65 possibly being too big was partly in jest.

When I pull the fiver give me a BIG TANK. I'd love to have 65 gallons for traveling.

What I've found is when I'm home I don't drive the truck too much as it costs more in fuel and I don't like to take short trips in the truck. I want to give it time to warm up etc.

my 50 gal tank lasts so long I worry about condensation or microbes if I don't keep if full and conditioned. Probably not a worry but I also have a sailboat with a Yanmar diesel and water and microbes are a real problem when fuel is left in the tank for a long time so my concern carries over to the truck.

I'm going to see how I like the 37gal tank on my next haul and if not I'll be putting a big boy in there.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Oh and to answer your question.. My 5'ver is 27' and 10k loaded but we might be going larger next year.

Last year with the 2011 F250 PSD we did 11,000 miles from the East Coast to the West, North Thru the Sierras to Wash State - across the Cascades to Glacier NP then South thru Yellowstone, Colorado etc, eventually back to the east coast. 9 Weeks in all. Lots of flats and mountains.

Our Fuel average for the entire trip was 12.6 mpg. I started the trip with 6k miles and finished with about 17k miles so the truck wasn't even fully broken in yet. Very rarely do I go over 65mph. We'll see how the mileage drops for the dually.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Probably not a worry but I also have a sailboat with a Yanmar diesel and water and microbes are a real problem when fuel is left in the tank for a long time so my concern carries over to the truck.
I have a sport fishing boat with 495 gallons in two tanks. Your concern with the sailboat is valid. The issue we have with the boats is the fuel systems are not sealed units, so moisture is a real issue that can get in the tanks through the vents. Still amazes me that bacteria can grow in diesel fuel.

I think you are safe with the truck, as long as you keep the cap on

Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Bit the bullet...

Well I went ahead and put the 65gal tank in the truck. We also went out and bought a new 5'ver (been a busy month). The new 5'ver is 37' and about 50% heavier than the old one. I think the new tank is going to make me happy. The 50gal did.

I had the tank size corrected and now I show 999 miles to empty. Its been saying that for 100 miles so far. I guess soon it should start counting down when I get under 1,000 MTE.

Of course the day before the install Diesel was $4.05. The next day it was $4.15.

I pick up the new 5'ver next week. Looking forward to seeing how the new rig drives.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
999... lol. Wish it would actually go that far when the trailer is attached.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
That would be nice wouldn't' it

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
999... lol. Wish it would actually go that far when the trailer is attached.
Now there is some wishful thinking.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM
ClemsonTom
New User
Paul, forgive the intrusion. i am new to the site. will this update work for a 2008 6.4 with the titan tank or is there another update to help me? My dealers cant tell me.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
No...

Paul is no longer on this site (moved on to other products within Ford).

6.4 NO...
Code was not modified for that model(s)

Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Hi all,

I'm upgrading my SB 2011 F250 PSD to a 2012 F350 PSD Dually Long bed..

Last spring I installed a 50gal Titan, when thru the hoops to try and get the DTE corrected.... Thanks to a bunch of you, (Epic, Riatic, lexus etc).

Anyway - The long bed 350 seems to have a 37.5 gal tank which might be sufficient. I really loved the 50 gal and the 37.5 is borderline but still might just be enough for me. Still - since I saved my old stock 26gal tank, before trading it in I'm weighing my options.

1) Install the stock tank back in the F250 before I trade it in, and put the 50 gal in the new F350. (anyone know if it will fit in the long bed? If so can you flash the F350 DTE to 50 gal.) I'm thinking its the same DTE program in the 250 and 350 so the answer should be yes.

2) Install a new titan in the F350. Their site is a little confusing in this regard but from looking around it appears that they make a 65 gal tank for the long bed. (I think this is just too big for me) Do they have 65 gal as a choice on the DTE Flash? Really don't want to spend the extra $$ for another tank however so this option is my least likely.

3) Swap tanks on the F250 and sell the titan on e-bay. Not sure if I want the hassles of that.

4) Do nothing and live with the 37 gal tank on the F350.

Am I missing any options? Any thoughts.
I am finally rereading this post...

I have a 2011 F350 DRW, Yes there is a 65 gal MTE option, I have it....

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Change from KM to Miles :)

Well I went ahead and put the 65gal tank in the truck. We also went out and bought a new 5'ver (been a busy month). The new 5'ver is 37' and about 50% heavier than the old one. I think the new tank is going to make me happy. The 50gal did.

I had the tank size corrected and now I show 999 miles to empty. Its been saying that for 100 miles so far. I guess soon it should start counting down when I get under 1,000 MTE.

Of course the day before the install Diesel was $4.05. The next day it was $4.15.

I pick up the new 5'ver next week. Looking forward to seeing how the new rig drives.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)