2005 2.3L Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM
bigredtruck
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 2.3L Reliability?

Hi guys,

I'm more knowledgeable on the 3.0 and Clevelands and a coworker of mine has asked if I could find out some info on the 2.3L in a 2005 Ranger he is looking to buy.

He basically wants to know if there are any major flaws known for this engine, such as a mileage point where common things may start to go wrong. I know the usual 90,000 mile camshaft position sensor issue, as I just did this in my 3.0.

I assume it is a chain drive cam? Does the timing chain need routine changing at some mileage interval? Is it known to develop cooling problems? Do main seals begin to leak? Does it have oil pressure problem down the road? Does it have the pinging issue like a 3.0 liter from carbon buildup? Etc, Etc.

I see reading on here that the most common problems for causing drivability problems are usually plugs, fuel filters, or a dirty MAF, which is easily fixed in most cases. He is fine with that.

My questions are based, of course, on assuming normally scheduled maintenance is done to the truck and it is not abused.

Thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally a good engine. Have read other posts that state it has a good life span. It does have a timing chain ( that should be good for lifespan of engine). It does have a funky electronic thermostat (pricey) if needs replacement. Have been some posts about hard starting but seems like plugs/gas filter/MAP sensor cleaning have solved that. Big question is how well it was maintained. Would recommend all fluids get changed if purchase vehicle ( unless get service records indicating when performed).Not specific to the four but the Ranger in general: If automatic some issues with the solenoids and valve body causing shift/engagement problems and if manual can have leakage at rubber shift rail plugs. In addition check for leakage where p/steering lines lines connect to rack unit ( o ring on high pressure line can leak).

Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Ricache
Senior User
My 2.3 just got a timing belt change. Ford recommends every 60K miles or so. Seals in the front do start leaking (little bit) - cam,crank,etc.

A had 200K on mine and it wasn't enough loss to worry about between oil changes.

I didn't know they changed to a chain in the mid nineties. I find that unlikely but don't know for sure.

yes- change all fluids. Did manual tranny change and differential and coolant change and glad I did.

Again - check the timing chain vs. the timing belt. Pretty sure the 2.3's had timing belts.

HTH

/Ricache

Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2.3 (also, the 2.5) Lima SOHC engine had a timing belt. The 2.3 Duratec DOHC has a timing chain.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
The 2.3 Lima (also, the 2.5) SOHC has a timing belt. The 2.3 Duratec (DOHC) has a timing chain.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Sorry about the duplicate entry.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Reliability

I've had very good reliability with my 2.5l 2000 Ranger. The only items other than oil filters replaced on my truck have been a new battery (original one went after 10 years) and an alternator (the new battery popped a diode in the old alternator). 92K and the truck starts up on the first turn. Over the years I've had a couple instances where the truck was difficult to start though - sort of like a vapor lock experienced in vehicles with carburators, but would start after a minute or two. Only happened a handful of times or less over 10 years. It has the chain, so I'm happy to see from the posts in this forum that folks have gotten alot of mileage out of their chains.

I had a broken control arm and the shocks are tired (I hauled lots of heavy loads over the years) and the gear selector is spongey-like, but all the bulbs are original and no body rust (rims are a bit rusty looking on the inner portion, but clean on the outside). In fairness, parts wearout and consumable items like shocks need replacing on any vehicle. I've been very happy with my truck.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM
91chevywt
Senior User
They are good engines. They have timing chains, which last the life of the engine. The 2.3 introduced around 2003 (Duratec) is totally different from the other 4 cylinder engines found in rangers. They should last just as long as any other moder 4 cylinder aluminum engine...I would expect 200k or so. Sometimes mine has a bit of a knock at cold starts when it's freezing...seems like most modern aluminum engines do this. It always goes away pretty quickly.

Performance wise, it's the quickest 4 cylinder put into a ranger. There is a slight aftermarket for duratec engines. If you're used to driving a base model full size truck like I was, a short bed duratec ranger can feel pretty sporty

I have noticed, that it has a slight ping above 3000 rpms depending on what gas I use. I run regular in it, and it seems to like certain brands. It does good with my local gulf gas, sunoco, and wawa. It's a little picky. There was a time I ran midgrade until I realized it was only certain brands that caused problems. In the winter I get 23-25 mpg with 80% highway driving, in the summer I get 27-29 mpg. This is with the 5 speed auto, 4.10 rear, stock sized tires, and about 60,000 miles.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM
ddixon72
Freshman User
91chevywt talked about the after market. My fatherinlaw has an 05 focus zx4 st w/2.3 if they are the same engine there is a large aftermarket for them from cold air kits to cosworth heads, and headers, to stage 1-3 turbos. Everything i read about the 2.3 is good and they live very long. If the maint was kept up your friend should not be disappointed.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM
slidingdelta
Junior User
not to get off topic but i thought the 2.5L engines from 2000 year Rangers had a timing belt, not a chain?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by slidingdelta
not to get off topic but i thought the 2.5L engines from 2000 year Rangers had a timing belt, not a chain?
They did have a belt. I have the 2.5 in my 99 supercab. I also have the 2.3 Duratech in mt 2005 Escape. Only has 56K miles but has been great so far.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Rackster
Senior User
2.5l w/chain

Many years ago when I turned 50K on the Ranger, I took it in for a new belt. Ford Tech told me that I had a chain and that I shouldn't need service until 120K. Good news for me (or so I'm still thinking). That said, I had a Nissan Stanza with a chain, but the chain/crank sprocket/tensioner went on it twice and I ended up floating the valves. Only had 120K on that vehicle when I rebuilt the top end. Ended up that the crank sprocket had a hairline crack and rotated about the crankshaft shearing off the woodruf key (this was missed by the repair shop on the first repair, but I caught it when doing the repair myself). That experience caused me to be cautious about timing belt/chain replacement on interference engine (the Stanza supposedly had a clearance engine, but bent valves with witness marks on the top of the pistons proved otherwise). So given slidingdeltas comment, I will need to do some research to make sure that I don't have another awful experience.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Angry Timing Belt

I took a look - appears it is a belt. Apparently the Ford Tech was wrong. I've been operating under bad information - pretty upsetting given what I've lived through with my Stanza and the precise reason I brought the vehicle into the dealer ahead of 60,000 mile recommended change interval. Just terrible!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rackster
I took a look - appears it is a belt. Apparently the Ford Tech was wrong. I've been operating under bad information - pretty upsetting given what I've lived through with my Stanza and the precise reason I brought the vehicle into the dealer ahead of 60,000 mile recommended change interval. Just terrible!
Your saving grace is that the 2.5L is a non interference enginge and the belt change is not too bad a job. Hardest part for me was getting the powersteering pump mounting bracket out of the way to get the belt cover off.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Not too bad

Thanks 99F150. Given my mileage, I guess I'll wait for warmer (and less snowy) weather to give it a shot. I appreciate your input.

Quick Reply: 2005 2.3L Reliability?