73 F-250 dual piston caliper brakes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

73 F-250 dual piston caliper brakes

Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
brownfoot
Senior User
brownfoot is starting off with a positive reputation.
73 F-250 dual piston caliper brakes

I am rebuilding the front end on a 73 F250 with Dayton dual piston caliper disc brakes and am having trouble finding a diagram that shows the assembly of the new parts that are with the rebuilt calipers from Raybestos.
The original had a cup type seal in the recesses on both sides of the spindle bracket. Only two of the same type cup seal was with the new caliper and there were two rubber seals that will fit in the recess, but where do they go, on the front side or the back side of the bracket?
I can get more of the cup seals and re-assemble as it was, but am concerned that this may not be the correct assembly as there are many other things on this truck that have been changed and not as original and som really hacked repairs that I am correcting.
Also, either way it is assembled it will function, but would like to do it so that it will be correctly assembled.

Does anyone have the specification on the hole size in the brake pads?
The pin/bolt that holds the pad is ....495/.498 diameter and the holes in the brackets are all .500/.502.
My replacement pads have .485/.490 holes, maybe out of spec. diameters, that I am going to ream to some size???????? .500/.502 the same as the brackets or some larger?
The pads in the assembly need to "float" on the pins/bolts.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
I currently have the brake calipers off my '73 F250 for rebuild and wheel bearing pack. The brackets have seals on both sides. Both caliper mounting bolts are the same as the pad bolts. I verified this on the parts catalog, part number 2B296. My caliper mounting bolts fit very tight in the brackets but the pads have a loose fit on the mounting bolts. HTH.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 AM
brownfoot
Senior User
brownfoot is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks, I think I will use the seals on the bracket and not those rubber bellows type that came with the caliper since I have the seals (the ones with the metal outside and rubber inside).
what is unusual is there are 2 seals and all rubber seals, didn't know what position to use them, maybe seals on top and the rubber on bottom, looks that either will do the same job.
I will try to contact Raybestos to see what they have to say.......

BTW, checked my old pads, the hole size is .500/.502, which is a loose fit on the bolts/pins, so I reamed the pads to that size, and yes, all the bolts/pins are the same

Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
CropDusterMan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CropDusterMan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ca you guys post an image of where the bushings go...I also have another post up.

Best,
JBone