1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Intake Manifold and 4 Barrel Suggestions Needed for a 352

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetcopterpilot
ah maybe it is the Gearing.. I have a 4.10 in a Dana 60 but it seems the 3.54 should provide better mileage! I have considered swapping in the 3.54 gear set for the Dana 60 as I run 2900 rpm at 65 mph. Maybe a 5 speed swap would be a better idea for me?
My gears & tire setup should have me running 2494rpm at 65mph. Various things I've tried haven't changed the mpg's much though. I know the FE was never designed for fuel economy and the Slick design is not the most aero-dynamic but it still seems like it could be better than what I'm getting now...

Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, Mike but maybe all this discussion is pertinent to what you're doing to your truck.....

Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO you have stock heads? I have ported mine, and I have the gt 390 heads, much better breathers. I got mine for $150 and had a local shop port and polish them what a big difference? also what distributor are you using?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

DO you have stock heads? I have ported mine, and I have the gt 390 heads, much better breathers. I got mine for $150 and had a local shop port and polish them what a big difference? also what distributor are you using?
Yes, they are stock heads with no porting. I have the PertronixII ignition and matching coil.

Do you have headers on yours?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
BigMikeUGA
Senior User
I've only checked mine once on the hwy and got 10.2. I have a 352 2V, 4.10 Dana44, and a granny 4spd. I'm switching to a C6 at some point and want to go higher on the gear ratio. It will probably be just north of 3.0.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
chaser1602
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigMikeUGA
My '65 F250 has a 352 / 2bbl. I need to replace the intake manifold gaskets and figured since I was going to put a 4bbl on it, I might was well do it now.

I was thinking of an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and a Holley 600 CFM 4bbl with an electric choke.

Thoughts, experience, suggestions?

Also, suggestions on how to jet it for a stock 352 are welcomed.
SAw this.You might be interested

Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
No headers yet... I also have the Pertronix ignition, I tried the MSD Distributor, with the 6AL box, and High output coil, while the power was great , it had no Vacumn advance so the mileage dropped off quite a bit ie; 5-6mpg. I Have purchased headers for it, but have yet to install them. I have the stock exhaust Manifolds but I took a die grinder, and opened up the ports so they match the heads better, it was a surpising difference. I have considered dropping in 3.54 rear gears as that is the best I can get for the Dana 60 but I am thinking now that maybe a swap for a 5 speed overdrive would be a better choice. I want to keep the manual gear box, SO I have been trying to find one that will be a good mate to the FE Series of engines...Ahhh decision decisions!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
No headers yet... I also have the Pertronix ignition, I tried the MSD Distributor, with the 6AL box, and High output coil, while the power was great , it had no Vacumn advance so the mileage dropped off quite a bit ie; 5-6mpg. I Have purchased headers for it, but have yet to install them. I have the stock exhaust Manifolds but I took a die grinder, and opened up the ports so they match the heads better, it was a surpising difference. I have considered dropping in 3.54 rear gears as that is the best I can get for the Dana 60 but I am thinking now that maybe a swap for a 5 speed overdrive would be a better choice. I want to keep the manual gear box, SO I have been trying to find one that will be a good mate to the FE Series of engines...Ahhh decision decisions!
Have you considered an overdrive unit? I don't know if any are available for your tranny. Might want to check Gear Vendors site. I just installed Flowtech headers on my '66 with 352 and C-O-M tranny. Drivers side header collector sits right where shift linkage is. Had to get real creative on exhaust path. If you want a good upgrade to your current ignition; switch to the Ford Duraspark dizzy and box.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM
chaser1602
Elder User
Originally Posted by chaser1602
SAw this.You might be interested

forgot to put this in there Edelbrock 4 v manifold

Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 PM
crashtke
Senior User
Well, doing the swap tomorrow. I think I have just about EVERY part I could need except fuel line and getting that today. So I will report back and let you guys know.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by crashtke
Well, doing the swap tomorrow. I think I have just about EVERY part I could need except fuel line and getting that today. So I will report back and let you guys know.
may your skills and the Ford God Almighty be with you in your times of change!!!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM
crashtke
Senior User
Ok we are most of the way there...late start and some parts not working as designed. If you have a 2 barrel intake, do NOT get the Transdapt 2 barrel to TBI adapter plate. It was a nightmare. Over an hour of grinding and shaping later I did get it to work, but I would much rather have paid the extra money for the Holley part.

At this point everything is wired up and ready to go, just need to finish running the fuel line and getting the throttle and transmission kick down hooked up tomorrow and we will be ready to tune!

We also took the time to add an additional fuse panel for accessories even though it was not absolutely necessary.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM
ol'_red_an_white
New User
Guys, Ive been running a 352 in my old 66 for a few years now. Damn its a tough motor. Anyways, I'm having a really hard time keeping the valve covers sealed. I understand that FE blocks are almost impossible to seal but I'm putting in a few quarts of oil a month in it an I've tried almost everything. I've used rubber, cork, silicon, an even silicon/rubber combo, but none of it seems to work. Any thoughts?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by ol'_red_an_white
Guys, Ive been running a 352 in my old 66 for a few years now. Damn its a tough motor. Anyways, I'm having a really hard time keeping the valve covers sealed. I understand that FE blocks are almost impossible to seal but I'm putting in a few quarts of oil a month in it an I've tried almost everything. I've used rubber, cork, silicon, an even silicon/rubber combo, but none of it seems to work. Any thoughts?
If you are adding a few quarts of oil a month; you have more problems than valve cover gaskets leaking. Is oil leaking out of the back of intake?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:23 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by dsrtjeeper
If you are adding a few quarts of oil a month; you have more problems than valve cover gaskets leaking. Is oil leaking out of the back of intake?
I would agree with drstjeeper. When I first got my 66 with a 352 it was leaking at the valve covers and the pan. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and added a 4V intake & carb. It still drips a bit from the pan but I go 2000 miles before adding any oil.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold and 4 Barrel Suggestions Needed for a 352