EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Ford eco boost- Turbocharged seems to be in Ford's future

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford eco boost- Turbocharged seems to be in Ford's future

I posted a stroy earlier about Ford introducing a turboed 4.3 V6 for their 2010 pickups...the idea that a turbocharged V6 could give as much or bette hp and torque than V8's.

I just read this story that Ford plans to introduce a 3.5 liter V6 eco boost...again a turbocharged V6 that ought to produce a lot of power but give better mileage than a V8. This 3.5 would be for their car line.

I wonder if Ford plans to have the eco boost turbo charge system throughout their engine line.

Subaru has a lot of turboed engines in their cars...seems to work well, no problems I've heard of yet.

Why not Ford.

Also their re-opening their famed Cleveland engine plant...we all have fond memories of the 351 Cleveland V8...or at least us older guys who have been around a long time.

http://http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/27/ford-reopening-cleveland-engine-plant-no-1-to-produce-ecoboost/

Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Why not try turboing a v8?!

I dont know if I like the idea of a turbod v6 in a truck...

Cars, hell yeah, great idea! Maybe even a ranger with a v6 turbo would be cool, but not a fullsize!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 AM
skidooman
Posting Guru
I used to have a turbo 2.3L in a thunderbird, great car, good power for a bigger car and great on fuel(way better than our old focus was). I wouldn't be scared to buy a turboed engine just as long as you let it cool down before shutting it off and keep good clean oil in it.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all i hope is that they kept their best quality control guys around, no matter what they're bringing to the table. with the economies the way they are, and Ford refusing bailouts (makes me more proud to drive a ford!!!!!!), they need to make every descision and innovation very carefully. another 6.o fiasco right now would probably bring them to their knees.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 AM
skidooman
Posting Guru
That's forsure, but fords quality has been on the rise lately. I was looking at a consumer reports magazine last night and the ford SUV's and trucks where rated better than GM and dodge the only one with a below average rating was the superduty thanks to the 6.0l.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by 96sherm
all i hope is that they kept their best quality control guys around, no matter what they're bringing to the table. with the economies the way they are, and Ford refusing bailouts (makes me more proud to drive a ford!!!!!!), they need to make every descision and innovation very carefully. another 6.o fiasco right now would probably bring them to their knees.
Im sure they took one hell of a hit with the 6 liters, and they arent a stupid company, so Im sure they will bring the best they can to the table.
Everytime I read stuff about quality, it is that ford is getting better and better, and more on par with the likes of toyota and honda (regarding the cars) and they always have been right up top, if not right on top with the trucks.

I had a buddy with a 2.3 liter turbo in a 84 svo mustang, and that thing was the hugest piece of junk ever. I also cant help but remember ford having all sorts of head gasket problems with the 3.8 v6 (pretty sure that was the size, engine came in alot of 90's thunderbirds etc), then I start thinking of the two problems combined....

Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 AM
skidooman
Posting Guru
The only problem I had with my 2.3l turbo one time the timing belt sliped a notch and it wouldn't run. That would have been prevented if I had done the proper maintenace and replaced it when the manual said to. I remember the car one time got 47mpg on the highway at 110klm.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Man that really did get amazing mileage.

I dont recall exactly what always went wrong on my buddy Kelly's mustang. When he first got it, we were all so pumped, cause it was a really cool car, and it had a turbo! (even though it was on a 4 banger)

He got rid of it pretty quick though, cause it was always breaking down.

Now also one thing I have to remember, is that car was an 84, and ford would have alot of research and development done since then. Sometimes it seems like its easier to remember all the knuckle scrapes, then to remember that they have advanced haha.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
skidooman
Posting Guru
my t-bird was a '87 they could have worked the bugs out of that engine by then.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i remember reading more than one magazine lately where Ford cars have edged or nearly edged out some of the foreign origin vehicles in the same category. the fusion and focus have really grown in leaps and bounds, as well as the escape really has a great name!!!

one thing i will say, in the past, honda, toyota and such have made good quality vehicles. i think they've slipped somewhat as the companies have grown, and they rely on too much on reputation... lets face it, reputation is what has sold the tundra and titan for those guys. its because their has been good foreign cars in the past, people automatically think the trucks are the same. not so. talk to any honest tundra or titan owner and they'll tell you it was the biggest mistake they made. i'd buy a dodge (God forgive me) before i'd buy that crap.

if they ever figure out that they have to build more than a light car with a box, then they might be somewhat of a competitor in the market...

i nearly bought a thunderbird 2 summers ago with the 3.8L... had it been the 4.6L v8, i'd have gone for it, but the head gasket problem scared me too. they should have used the yamaha twin cam SHO engine in there instead...

Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I wouldnt buy an import truck either. Cars, well different story, although thats changing too!

I hope that the ecoboost turns out well though. I dont wanna see a flop by ford, I would love to see them dominate every category!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
skidooman
Posting Guru
Me too!! I think(hope) people will remember which company didn't take a bail out. Just as long as ford cars continue to improve the way they have been.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:13 AM
B's FX4
Senior User
i had a 95 windstar that had the 3.8 in it and the head gasket blew in it with like 50k on it, fixed it and drove it for another 50k then sold her......

Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Just the main downside to forced induction engines is the requirement of premium fuel which is 15-20 cents more than regular.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
I'd sooner have my V10 with a turbo on it. I'd rather have a supercharger but lets not get greedy here.

I drove a V6 for almost a year. I AM NOT interested in owning another one with or without a turbo.

Quick Reply: Ford eco boost- Turbocharged seems to be in Ford's future