Sponsored by: Moser

1977 crewcab cummins build

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:43 AM
Earnie Rosenow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 77_crew
OK, down to business. Lots of progress being made, just haven't had time to post.

Vinyl floor is installed. lots of cursing, lots of trimming, and one blown up girlfriends hair dryer and it turned out decent. The floor came in two sections, front and rear. The front section didn't fit that great around the tranny hump and there's a few sections of small wrinkles here and there, but it looks ok. And i'm hoping a few nice hot summer days will help it form a better in those spots. The rear section fit a lot better, but then again there is way less going on back there. The rear section was also molded to fit door wells but i trimmed that section off. Picture time, and my old smashed phone finialy gave up the ghost so new phone with good camera!!!

Rear section with door well section cut out.

I fabbed up a stainless steel trim pieces for the door well and put aluminum checker plate on the bottom.

It all fit pretty good, the only small gap is on the up slope, which looks worse in the pic due to reflection on the checker plate.

Front section wrinkles

I found using a small propane torch and carefully heating up the vinyl from a couple inches away worked well to help form the vinyl. It actually looks worse in the pic than it is. I also used some chunks of 1 1/4" plate that i had laying around the shop to help flatten it out in different spots.

As it sits now, 3 of the four seats are installed, front seat belts installed and drivers side rear seat belt retractor installed. Installed weatherstripping on passenger side rear door so i could measure up for door sill parts. Got 2 of the three stainless pieces made so far, so finishing that is my next task.
what did you source the seats from

Old 12-22-2016, 09:39 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Earned rosenow, I am not sure if the original origin of the 4 bucket seats. These seats were actually in the truck when i bought it from the previous owner. I think that I did see a ford symbol stamped on one of them somewhere buy I can't remember. My thought is that they came from a ford van of some sort. Three of the seats have a swing down arm rest on the inside where you'd expect, but the one rear seat has an arm rest on both sides which made me think that it was originally a captains chair located by a door in a van....but who knows.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:48 AM
77_crew
Elder User
So I was doing a little Google images research and I saw a pic of a 1992 areostar 3 that appeared to have the same seats...so that might be where they came from. And another article I read says that the areostar seats are very close to the bronco buckets of that era and that they are comfortable....which is true because they are comfortable. Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Well, The big crew is out of storage once again and back on the road. Man it feels good to drive it again. Its also nice to put fuel in this thing way less frequent than the highboy with the 460!!

So far the truck is working great with no major issues. There is a couple of things that i'd like to address sooner than later. I want to do a fliud change and service; My front crank shaft seal has been leaking for a while so i should look into that; and my drivers door need some attention. there is some slop in the pins and bushings so its getting harder to close these days... the striker and latch aren't lined up since the door sags a bit, so the latch mechanism keeps coming lose. Other than that all is good!!

A couple quick pics! I took my new little girl for her first crew cab ride. I'd say first old ford ride, but i did have her in the highboy a few times over the winter.

Family ready to go on an adventure!!!

Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
Any plans for rear belts so the little one can ride in the back?

I am planning on some for my supercab for this very reason.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by somethingclever
Any plans for rear belts so the little one can ride in the back?

I am planning on some for my supercab for this very reason.
Now that you mention it, I never really put much thought on that subject. I have had her in the rear seat with just the lap belt holding the car seat
and it worked just fine. But i never really thought about when she gets older. something for me to think about for down the road.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:53 PM
David Petik
New User
What an amazing truck! And best of all is you actually use it and it's not just sitting in a garage

Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by David Petik
What an amazing truck! And best of all is you actually use it and it's not just sitting in a garage
Thanks man! The truck definitely turns a lot of heads! Ya the problem with having a truck too nice is you end up afraid to use it. My goal with this truck was to build a nice but not show quality machine that I can use...i don't go all out mud bogging with it or anything , but I will drive it back into the hunting camp or down logging roads... it has a couple minor scratches and stone chips to prove it...but like you said...at least I use it.... Cheers!

Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Not much to update on the crew cab. We're coming up to the end of another great season of putting many miles on the Crew with no major problems! Lots of miles with my new little girl in the back seat too! I am in the process of building an extension on my garage so I will be able to store the truck at home this winter and I will still have enough room to complete some small jobs on the it. More to come over the winter as I complete some tasks.

On another note....we had some fun carving some pumpkins for Halloween and I tried my best to do a dentside pumpkin!

Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 PM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Loving the pumpkin!

Happy Halloween

Old 02-16-2018, 03:01 PM
ClassicKidNick
Senior User
Saw your build on youtube today,

Your video? The channel seems to just post build pictures. Thought you'd like to see it if you have not already.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think it's his channel.

Looks like whoever owns the channel is stealing build photos and making videos out of them....

Check out this familiar build on the same channel.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't know if the channel actually asked for permission but he does credit the builder (username only) and links the build thread. Hope he's asking for permission.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:15 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Ya, funny thing, my buddy at work was watching a video of another crew cab build...then up popped the video of my build... I was like wtf? The guy basically just took most if the photos from my build and made the video. And No he didn't ask for permission. Oh Well, it' a neat video..