Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 crewcab cummins build

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:39 AM
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, great work.
The milling machine is definately on my list of want to get tools.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:41 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! I think it turned out pretty well and I hope that it solves some of my issues. Ill be rotating the rear tires to the front so I can see how it looks and rides with "evenly" worn tires.

How much toe in are you guys running?

Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by 650
Wow, great work.
The milling machine is definately on my list of want to get tools.
Thanks! Ya having the right tools at your disposal really helps if you feel like getting creative. Just finding the ambition to get creative is hard enough sometimes if you can just buy the parts off the shelf.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:33 AM
EP145
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I built a 73 2wd SB 351 with EFI and was really happy with it until I saw your truck. What an amazing truck you have, I would rather have it than a new super duty.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:38 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by EP145
I built a 73 2wd SB 351 with EFI and was really happy with it until I saw your truck. What an amazing truck you have, I would rather have it than a new super duty.
Hey man, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you guys like my truck! It was a long road getting it to where it is now and I am really happy with it. I built this truck to use and not sit in the garage waiting for a car show. It's got a couple little scratches here and there and a tiny paint chip or two to prove it. It's far from the luxuries of a new super duty but it suits me just fine.

And EP145, I'm sure your 73 is really nice too. I like all the versions of the dent sides. I'd still be happy with it!
Cheers!
Harrison

Old 09-21-2016, 07:29 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
My SC with d60 should be getting an alignment this week....I will let you know.

When I do my own toe settings I set them up for 1/8" in.

I am willing to spend the money for a computer readout this time just for data sake.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:17 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by somethingclever
My SC with d60 should be getting an alignment this week....I will let you know.

When I do my own toe settings I set them up for 1/8" in.

I am willing to spend the money for a computer readout this time just for data sake.
That'd be great man thanks! I think I originally set mine somewhere around an 1/8" maybe a little over....but I think the that was with the small tires on so it might have been more when I put the big tires on. This time I will definitely be setting it up the best I can with my 37s on.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:32 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
I got the alignment done Sat morning....should've taken some pictures on the rack...

But anyway I am very pleased with my front axle condition. I just redid everything from the axle shaft u-joints and outward. (well i didn't do the kingpins..truck has 78k miles and they were tight) All three tie rods are new moog as well.

Caster and camber are perfect...toe was within spec when I took it in, but he took some out of it and it seemed better on the backroads on the way home. I will do a highway trip to confirm next time I make a lowes run.

I am ready to get 50k miles out of these M/T's now...LOL

Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 77_crew
How much toe in are you guys running?
I set mine to 1/8" as well. I have not rotated my tires in over 8,000 miles. I think I'm due. I rebuilt my axle at 0 miles so that stuff should be good. I also need to get my truck an alignment just to check. The outside wear may be a bit too much toe in.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:49 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by somethingclever
I got the alignment done Sat morning....should've taken some pictures on the rack...

But anyway I am very pleased with my front axle condition. I just redid everything from the axle shaft u-joints and outward. (well i didn't do the kingpins..truck has 78k miles and they were tight) All three tie rods are new moog as well.

Caster and camber are perfect...toe was within spec when I took it in, but he took some out of it and it seemed better on the backroads on the way home. I will do a highway trip to confirm next time I make a lowes run.

I am ready to get 50k miles out of these M/T's now...LOL

Great info man! Thanks for posting up the results. What does it mean by cross camber and cross caster?

That's also a dead sexy super cab. I think I might have to add a Supercab to the fleet someday. I've always loved the look of a 4x4 Supercab. I have a couple, but they are parts buggies that are 2wd and really rough.

Do you still have the crew? I remember you mentioned selling it a while back.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by co425
I set mine to 1/8" as well. I have not rotated my tires in over 8,000 miles. I think I'm due. I rebuilt my axle at 0 miles so that stuff should be good. I also need to get my truck an alignment just to check. The outside wear may be a bit too much toe in.
Thanks Co I got mine back together and have it set at a small 1/8"...probably close to 3/32. I had way to much before. after I installed the shim and did my initial measurement I had 3/8"+...I'm sure that contributed to my tire wear as well. I'm sure us guys having that big heavy diesel up front doesn't help in the tire wear department either.

Truck is back together and my camber shim seems to have helped. The passenger side looks the same as my drivers side now. They both seem to have a slight positive camber, but not much. It looks good, although it seems to handle pretty much the same as before. I did rotate the rear tire up to the front too.

sorry I don't have a before pic.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:10 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Now a little off topic...I did have a pretty sweet ford part score the other day. I local guy passed away that had his own private wrecking yard. lots of neat stuff, but unfortunately his family tried to sell as much stuff as possible but they are crushing everything that's left. I got in there the day they started crushing and was able to pick through a couple of the school buses that had some parts in them.

I scored three ZF5 trannys, two 2wd (like the one in the crew cab) and one 4x4 one, a mid 80s 460, an all aluminum powerstroke intercooler (the preferred one guys use in our trucks) and a couple 460 jet boat parts (water pump block off plate, dual outlet thermostat housing, Pto mounting plate and drive coupler).... all for 400 bucks! Not to bad at all.

Its nice to know I have a spare tranny in inventory now incase I ever had a problem with the one in the crew....and who knows, maybe i'll use one to do a cummins swap in my other highboy...I do have a cummins that needs a home tooo.....someday I guess!

Old 10-01-2016, 05:28 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Time to put mine on the rack for sure.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:34 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 77_crew
Great info man! Thanks for posting up the results. What does it mean by cross camber and cross caster?

That's also a dead sexy super cab. I think I might have to add a Supercab to the fleet someday. I've always loved the look of a 4x4 Supercab. I have a couple, but they are parts buggies that are 2wd and really rough.

Do you still have the crew? I remember you mentioned selling it a while back.

Cross numbers are the difference between L/R. Not sure what that translates too except for excessive difference would not be acceptable. (not sure if you can be within spec between sides but cross could be unacceptable)

At the end of the day i would expect the desired cross numbers are "0".

(well new cars have less caster built into the pass side so it will have a tendency to slightly pull that direction if one were to fall asleep behind the wheel)

I like this supercab because it isn't too nice use...the CC was just way too much...good for car shows and ice cream with the family...but no lumber yard runs. (12" lift and 40's is a problem)

I did sell my white CC back in Dec/Jan....i have been messing with 3 diff supercabs in the past yr....sold one...have 1 more FS...prob end up keeping this white one. I like the 8' bed...already hauled 3k lbs in it a few times.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:41 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Well guys, another season has come to an end for the big crew cab. Its officially oiled and put away....and just in time too as we now have snow on the ground and they are starting to salt the roads.

Also, The reason for building the crew cab in the first place has finally come... My wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last week. Everyone is doing well and all i can say is that it's one amazing experience!! Although I didn't get a chance to take her for a tour in the crew cab, i can't wait to go for our first "family" adventure in the spring!

I guess i'll have to introduce her to the old ford world in the Highboy for now

Here's a couple of pics to finish off the season

took the crew cab on the deer hunt this year. Nothing like an old ford filled with deer. We got 4 this year, I shot a very big bodied 9 pointer, and we also shot a beautiful 10 pointer and a doe and a fawn....meat in the freezer.

Another time up at the camp, parked beside the big bronco. I just took the bronco for a snow tour the other day...pretty fun! I'm building a 1979 F250 plow truck for the camp right now. when its done and i get it up to the camp i'm hoping to bring the bronco home for some more work....need to get power steering bled a bit better and maybe get the brakes working better. other than that she's running strong!

Just a couple shots of the crew cab sitting there oiled and waiting to go into the storage barn. i know i'm going to miss driving it.

Till Next time!

Harrison

Quick Reply: 1977 crewcab cummins build