Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 crewcab cummins build

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 AM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you came up with for a color.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to much to update guys.... The truck is still at the body guys. We've decided that we will pull the windshield out and paint in there. Its not rotton under the windsheild rubber but it was looking rusty. I just got a shipment in from BroncoGraveyard. I decided to buy new lower racetrack trim. I have the crew cab relevant parts cleaned up and they actually match the new stuff pretty good. I also got new 73-75 grill inserts which i will be painting plack. I also recieved the vinyl floor kit for the crew. It came with insulation to put under the vinyl. Also in my package was weatherstripping for all 4 doors and a new windshiels rubber. I'm going to be attempting to cut dow the window felts for the rear doors like they say can be done...i've heard it works good from some and not so good from others. Does anyone have any input or experience doing this?

As far as colors are concerned, I plan on doing a two tone using the racetrack trim. I would like to use ford colors. I want a maroon or metalic maroon for the main colors and silver inside the trim.
something similar to this.

But want it look like this with the colors above.

Both these trucks belong to guys from this site...i hope they don't mind me using their pictures....

Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM
srshll
Freshman User
updates

anymore info on this build

Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 77_crew
Heres some pics of what i have done so far. The first pic is the assembly, i forgot to rotate the pic, but i'm sure you'll get the idea.

Here it is mocked up on the engine. Its just tacked right now incase i need to modify it.

Im running into this poblem on my supercab with the cummins. will the hose being that much lower than the motor and radiator not have any adverse effects on the flow?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow
Im running into this poblem on my supercab with the cummins. will the hose being that much lower than the motor and radiator not have any adverse effects on the flow?
I don't think that there will be a problem. With the large rad at a good height in front of the moter, there should be good head pressure through that pipe to the pump.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Hey there guys. I don't have much of an update for you. I just wanted to let your know that the project is still on the go and i haven't givin up. The truck is still at the body guys shop. He had a busy summer so my project has been put on the back burner. He will be getting back at it soon. I was there a couple of weeks ago and the drivers side was almost stripped down to bare metal.... I still have the box and i'm hoping to get back at it soon too.

On another note, i've been working on my other 77 F250 highboy. There is a picture of it earlier im my thread. The cab on it is completely rotton so i pulled a decent cab off of one of my 78 2wd trucks. My plan is to do a low budget build using only (well mostly) parts that i already have "in stock". Then i'll use it for my winter truck while the crew is parked. I had to patch a couple of spots on the cab floors and do a little cab corner work. The cabs sitting on my float in my yard and when im done my body work i'll prime it and spray it myself. Then i'll strip the truck and swap cabs. I'm hoping to paint the truck myself in a friends shop. I've never painted a truck myself before so i guess theres only one way to learn.

I will start a new build thread for this truck, but my camera is broken. When i get a new camera i'll start the thread with pics.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:51 PM
pha7env
Freshman User
Awesome build. I would love to see pix of the truck now. Also, would love to chat about the search for my project, late 70's Cummins 4wd Crew quest. Have the 12 valve Cummins. Have found a F-750 Crew in great shape that i can almost steal. It is a 2wd flatbed. I will use the truck as daily driver/gooseneck hauler. My choices are to put the cummins in the 750 and add 4wd or find a 4wd single cab 250 or 350 and add the cab and cummins. Need any advice you can give on changing 2wd to 4wd and adding the Cummins. Thanks for any help. Anyone with advice can either contact me here of email me at pha7env@yahoo.com (should never have sinned and sold my 78 4wd shortbox crew. Sucks to have a budget. One of the few things that i have sold in my life that i regret!!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM
TaskMaster
Freshman User

The finished product.

The bolt pattern went right onto the frame...
I just read this thread and I'm impressed. I'm also looking forward to seing the finished truck. I was wondering, do you have some plans (Dimensions and materials) of this front spring hanger you would be willing to share? It is exactly what I've been looking for.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by TaskMaster
I just read this thread and I'm impressed. I'm also looking forward to seing the finished truck. I was wondering, do you have some plans (Dimensions and materials) of this front spring hanger you would be willing to share? It is exactly what I've been looking for.
I did the 4x4 conversion a couple of years ago. At the time i did make some pretty good drawings on some graph paper with all my dimensions and numbers. I'll see if i can find this info for you. My 2wd crew frame just happen to have the holes on the front frame horns where the front crosmember (that mounts the front springs if the truck was 4wd) would bolt on. All the locations of the mounting holes on my "new" crossmember actually came from those existing holes in my crew frame. When the time came i did have to open those holes for the 1/2" bolts and it bolted right on with no problems. I took the other measurments from an 73-77 F250 highboy 4X4. The only one i really needed was the location of the spring mount hole in referance to the crossmember mounting holes. once i knew how far back the spring hole would be, I used my 3x5 tubing and added another inch or so to this holes hight to gain some lift for the truck....

Hope that made sense......

Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM
77_crew
Elder User
As far as updates on the crew...I don't have much. I did go visit it the other day at the body shop. A lot of the cab has been stripped down to bare metal, and he has the cab corners cut out to be replaced with the panels i gave him. I did give him a deadline though. April 15th is to be the day that i pick it up finished. I know thats a couple of months away, but if i got it back now it would just be sitting in the "not so snow tight" tent waiting for spring. I will have a bit of work to do before its completely done, but i'm hoping it will be done be the middle of may.

On another side not....I did buy another cummins motor....For future projects!!! Can never have too many in the inventory!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 PM
77_crew
Elder User
For you guys that haven't seen this thread yet, here's what i've been working on for the last little while.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ter-truck.html

Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant wait to see it painted. I sold my supercab and bought another crew right before thanksgiving so ive been goin at it full bore.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow
Cant wait to see it painted. I sold my supercab and bought another crew right before thanksgiving so ive been goin at it full bore.
Sweet! keep those projects rollin!!! One of us on here will actually finish one, one of these days!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sweet! keep those projects rollin!!! One of us on here will actually finish one, one of these days!!!
I wish that is is me!

But then again I'd settle for seeing yet another one roll off before mine even fires for the 1st time...

Quick Reply: 1977 crewcab cummins build