Sponsored by: Moser

1977 crewcab cummins build

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:06 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 650
Great build so far, cant wait to see it finished. I was admiring your fuel tank and was wondering in the unlikely situation of you breaking a spring and bottoming out the rear axle do you have anything to keep the axle from hitting the tank? Also roughly how many gallons does that tank hold?
I hope that i never experience breaking a spring and crunching my tank!!!! lol!!! As of right now I don't have anything in the works as a safety, but the original bump stops are on the frame, so i might make a plate to bolt on top of my leaf springs onto the top of the u bolts that will have a arm that protrudes out under the bump stops.... but we'll see...
The tanks holds around 156 litres, which i think is around 42 gallons. I'm not looking forward to filling it being that diesel is around $1.20/Litre up here.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM
farmfreshford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 77_crew
Ya, i've set aside some pieces as i've been collecting chrome and wreching trucks. Do you just need the extended cab (below the rear windows) section?
yes thats all I need if you had it and wanted to help it would really help with my project

Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Well its been a while since i've been able to post, i've just been too busy. I have been getting some progress on the crew, but not as much as i would have liked. I mustered up some pics as well.

Heres the new shock mounts on the outside of the frame. I have the lower mounts installed as well, just haven't bolted the shocks in yet.

Heres the plate i mentioned that covers up the top bellhousing bolts on the tranny. I was going to weld the piece of the firewall that i cut out back in, but i decided to make an access plate instead.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Carpet of vinyl flooring will cover up the plate so no one will know its even there.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM
77_crew
Elder User
I also finished the firewall insulation install, and then proceded to set my front clip into place to check fo clearance issues.

I also istalled the steering box onto the frame and ran the lines. After mocking up the clip, the only notching i had to do was a small cut to allow for the steering llines to sit nicely. Here it is with the clip and hood just sitting on the truck. Is it ever nice to have it actually lookng like a truck again for a change.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:59 PM
77_crew
Elder User
The other things i've done are:

-Finished running the stainless fuel lines in the frame rails. I haven't had a chance to finish welding up the fuel tank, but as soon as its done it will be installed and the rubber lines will be installed.

-I welded my exhaust down pipe. Then i mocked up the rest of the exhaust pieces, and just need to be burned together.

-I removed my original diphram lift pump and am currently sourcing a low pressure piston pump to upgrade that system.

- I am ready to permatly install the clip, and get my rad in place and plumbed.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 PM
wyckedcombo17
Posting Guru
Looking awesome mi amigo! Those look like some pretty wicked leaf packs in the front, what are they?

You do some great work. I like to see that you're thinking ahead and doing everything right.

Have you fired up the oil burner in the truck yet?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Thanks for the compliments. I try and think every part through before i make it. This allows me to do things once and correct. I've had to back track very little on this project. The front leafs are a combination of 3" leafs that i had in my collection. I think there are 5 or 6 in each side (i'll have to re count them in the day light). The top two came out of a highboy truck that i parted out, and the rest are randoms that came out of the rear of a IH 5ton that i parted years ago. The IH springs had a liitle more arc than the hi boy ones, together they made a pretty sturdy pack. I didn't want them too heavy, but with the wieght of the cummins and the fact that the crew is one big chunk of iron, i think that they will work fine.
No, i havent fired up the "oil burner" yet (I like that..lol), but hopefully soon. Once the fuel tank is installed and i have the starter and some wiring complete i'll be ready. Can't wait....

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
wyckedcombo17
Posting Guru
Good deal

Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted that, the cummins+4door factor of weight haha. I don't think they'll be getting negative arch any time soon

And we can't wait either! Keep up the top notch work my friend!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Can you take a pic of the front drivers corner inside the engine bay. I have a power steering conversion and the box is right up to the radiator support inside the frame. I'm just wondering about the clearance with the cummins in that area. I am toying with a Cummins conversion in a few years. If that area clears my box it would make it alot easier. Good progress so far. I wish I could have found a good crew 4x4 for less than 10 grand out here.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by co425
Can you take a pic of the front drivers corner inside the engine bay. I have a power steering conversion and the box is right up to the radiator support inside the frame. I'm just wondering about the clearance with the cummins in that area. I am toying with a Cummins conversion in a few years. If that area clears my box it would make it alot easier. Good progress so far. I wish I could have found a good crew 4x4 for less than 10 grand out here.
Ya, i can take a pic of the engine bay for you, but what steering box are you upgrading to?? the 78/79 F250 box?? I am running a saginaw on the outside of the frame. I began to mock up for the 78/79 box, but i wasn't happy with how everything was lining up, so changed my plans and went with the saginaw. It wasn't tight because of the rad, it was tight because of the vaccum diaphram pump (early style) on the cummins. the later cummins have a different pump with more clearance.

also keep in mind that my truck was a 2wd before so i don't have to 4wd crossmember that forced you to mount your steering box further ahead (i'm assuming, so you might have clearance). i'll take a pic anyways, but give me a day or two.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah. I'm running the f150 2 wheel box in my 4x4. So it's forward of the crossmember and inside the frame. My big desert cool radiator makes it a tight fit but it's all in there.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 PM
dirtydeeds
Senior User
subscribed, awesome build

Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Not too much to update. I've been so busy lately that its hard to find time to get progress made. there has been some progress though. The clip is back off and has had the final little trim done to it. I had to trim a 1/4" off the very back of the inner fenders (mainly the passenger side). The fierwall insulation that i added is about 3/8" thinck, and the inner fender was pushed into it, creating a slightly larger gap than i wanted between the fender and the door. Problem solved.

I also got my new lift pump. It requires a spacer so i machined one to fit. sorry no pics, my camera is MIA.... heres a pick of the kit required to upgrade from the diaphram pump to the piston pump.

The only thing i need now is the fuel line, but i might be able to custom bend my original one to make it work.

Once this is installed the clip will go on for good. I also got my throttle pedal modified and the cable is hooked up.

Oh, my driveshafts are also complete and balanced, ready to be installed.. I fabricated my front shaft myself, but i took my intermediate and rear shaft to a driveline shop and had them shorten and balance them to save time....Hopefully i'll get a full day that i can go at the beast and have some progress pics fo you...

Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 AM
77_crew
Elder User
well, its been tough to find the nessesary time to work on the old girl, but i have finially made some good progress. The front clip is installed for good, all of my new steering linkages are installed and functionable, the t-case shift linkage is almost complete an i started to fun process of wiring. But, the best part is..........i can turn the key and the beast comes to life!!!!!

I havent finished my fuel cell yet so a jerry can was used. anyways, i still have to wire up my pre heater relays and the charging system, but that shouldn't be too difficult. More to come soon, and pics as well!!!

Quick Reply: 1977 crewcab cummins build