1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

replace engine or buy new(er) vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 04:48 PM
David in OKC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replace engine or buy new(er) vehicle?

Hi all,
Newbie here, so not sure if I am posting this in the right place or not. I have a 1998 F150 extended cab with a 4.6 Triton. It has 297,000 original miles on it. Over the past year it has developed a serious water leak. It has also had an oil leak for several years that is getting progressively worse. I am having to put about a gallon of antifreeze in it every month and a quart of oil in it about every 600 - 700 miles. I took it to a mechanic who thinks the water leak is coming from the head gasket and the oil leak from a failing rear main seal (I personally think it is coming from the oil filter housing gasket, however.) Anyway, I drive this truck at least 60 miles a day on the highway, and pull a boat in the summer time. I am getting very concerned that the engine will crap out on me soon. I asked my mechanic if the engine could be replaced and if it was worth it. He said "No", and that "engines are hard to come by". So my questions for this group are, "What are your thoughts RE worth replacing the engine or not?" and "If it is worth it, how do I find an engine and a mechanic to do the work?" And "Ball Park cost on engine replacement?" I should say that the truck is well used. I have 3 kids and we have traveled a bunch in it, and I use it like a truck a lot. Driver's seat needs reupholstered and recushioned, needs a headliner and has a little rust on the driver's side running board (or what ever you call it). Advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Old 11-28-2022, 05:53 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

I rebuilt an engine years ago and found that it was the same old car, just with more power. So if you have a lot of issues, maybe it's time to trade up and maybe out of that engine and body style.

Or:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/fi...d-engine.c8484

There are others. And remember to add the labor, said to be about 20 hours at your local rate.

How's the transmission?

Engine replacement can snowball quick if an issue exists with the transmission or anything else--bad mounts, bad radiator, bad luck.

Of course a new vehicle is a small fortune and used ones are over priced right now and many times bring their own problems.

If you can afford to buy "new", and willing to accept whatever you find, try looking for certified pre-owned vehicles. A bit of money off the new, they've had their shakedown run and are covered by warranty.

Can't decide? Watch this:

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-28-2022, 07:02 PM
Jon Freeman
Tuned
Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
It's a 25 year old truck with ~300k miles. It's not going to get better with time. You say "I drive this truck at least 60 miles a day on the highway, and pull a boat in the summer time."

Unless you are a very good mechanic and have good access to parts, this truck may not keep you on the highway. Sounds like you need a more dependable vehicle. I would not want to tow with anything less than 100% dependable.

The following users liked this post: