1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I am back to stay and need advice......

Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have both the Ford AIS and the 6637 intakes. I have switched them back and forth over the past 3 years running unloaded and towing our 32' 5th wheel. The only time I have noticed a difference in air intake temps (while monitoring with the Predator Programmer) is while sitting at stop light for more than a couple of minutes and I think it was only about 15 or 20 degrees. Once the truck gets moving again the Air intake temps move back to within a few degrees of the OAT. The only difference I can tell is the cost. Both systems have shown excellent filtration results on Used Oil Analysis reports.

Having said that - I like the the sound of the air intake & turbo better with the 6637. If my wife is with me on long trips, well then I'll put the AIS on or turn up the radio so I don't have to listen to the smarty pants remarks about how excited I get about the turbo sound.........

edit: plus one of Pete's cool covers wont fit around the AIS box

Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM
anjcohen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good advice

It was good to hear you tested both systems. Based on that I think I will go with the Ford intake system in that my wife would hound me to death since we travel from Eastern Washington State to Montana often to our cabin.

Just a past sort of funny story from this older gentleman but, several years ago when I had my 1999 F350 prior to my son joining the Marine Corp, he convinced me I needed a 6" lift. "It will only raise it a little Dad and it will look much better..." So ignorant me I went ahead and had one installed! Oh my, now picture a 48 and 47 year olds climbing into that truck! My wife was lets say pissed! Anyway, had that truck for a few more years bouncing around on the highway and tall as a semi. Had the associated problems with ball joints and such and all the young guys out there thought it was a big red beast. Then they saw the old couple climbing in!

Anyway, I just got this STOCK f350 Crew Lariet and I do not, repeat do not want to screw around with modifications again other than to level the front out and cold air intake. Other than that every fluid will be changed and detail it out. Oh, just put in Rotela T6 5-30W and a motorcraft filter. Took out the Kand N drop in one and for now put in a Ford paper filter as recommended until the above install.

It feels good to have my sister truck back and will NEVER sell it. Love the smell of the diesel and now have room and comfort compared to my 2008 Sierra 1/2 ton. This old man with the rods and screws in his back - now retired is very happy once again!

Thank you for your advice and insight,