1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

METAL TRAYS UNDER CREW CAB SEATS

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks ! .

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '04 has the trays and I've used them plenty. If I have stuff that I don't want to sit on the seats, but is too nice to put in the bed with the dogs, I use the trays. To prevent stuff from sliding, I spread out a large bath towel I keep in the truck and no more sliding. I've thought about having them Line-X'ed but then they probably wouldn't fold up right anymore.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 AM
yhatzee89
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a really old thread I know, but did these things ever come in the extended cabs?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM
pwrplay
New User
Originally Posted by yhatzee89
This is a really old thread I know, but did these things ever come in the extended cabs?

Not sure of they did come in the Extended cab, but there was one on the 09 SD Crew Cab I picked up on Friday.
I removed the tray the very next day. Once my wife started moving stuff from the old truck to the new one, she soon discovered how much less usable storage space there is in the 09 SD when compared with our 08 F150 SCrew.

The door panel storage is split with a divider so even a short extendable umbrella wouldn't even fit in it lying down flat.
The glove box is puny, and can't fit much more after the manual and a few napkins, and there are no pockets on the seat backs for flat items.
So I had no choice but to remove the under seat storage tray.

Last edited by pwrplay; 03-05-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
skibell
New User
Originally Posted by Surge08
If I remember correctly they started installing these trays as of 2005
Mine is a 2004 Lariat and has it.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
my '04 XLT has them. i cut the folding part off and use the stationary section as an amp rack.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts
Great spot to keep cold beer safe in a cooler!

Also great for hauling riding gear.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM
jroberts257
Senior User
I use the shorter side to put my tool box on so it doesnt get rained or snowed on in the bed, and then I still have 2 seats in the back of the crew cab. If anybody doesn't like them or use them they should un install them. There is a cargo cubby type swap you can replace them with that I thought looked pretty useful. Large enough to fit all kinds of stuff in and then it is all stored under your seats and not taking up any space. I have a small bungee strap I put over my tool box to keep it from sliding, I have never thought of using that non skid stuff

Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
yhatzee89
New User
So far it seems everybody has a 4 door. I bought one to install a while back in my extended cab and was confused cuz it seemed like it was set up wrong lol. That's when I ended up just taking a sheet of diamond plate aluminum, had it linexed and put velcro on the backside to keep it in place. Pretty much does the same job without losing any space...

Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM
ScrambledCJ
New User
I have a brand new 2015 Ing Ranch with the tray - in fact I am going to start another thread regarding the storage box.

However I actually went and foraged around in the scrap yard yesterday and bought one of the folding steel platforms to put in my truck for when I need to haul dog crates during hot/cold weather. FoMoCo wanted $500 bucks for the thing, I bought one for $30 - and they removed it from the wreck for me.

All good, except it was coated with sticky stuff and lots of glitter - maybe indicates a use I hadn't considered...

Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got them and I literally use them on a daily basis. I DO have Carhartt Seat Savers on my back seats, but I still choose to not put my tool bags and boxes along with other misc awkward and dirty items on the seats when that's what the trays are for. I can flip the seats up and fold the trays out and have a solid, metal, FLAT/LEVEL surface to put stuff on, no brainer for me. Perfect example, I bought a very large stationary belt sander out of a machine shop last week, but it was pouring rain and I didn't want it in the bed of my truck. It also was still rather greasy with metal shavings on it. Didn't want it wet in the bed, didn't want it greasy on my seats. Solution? The fold out trays! And besides a bunch of my friends who drive Chevy's are super jealous of them too, added bonus!

Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought they were cool when I bought the truck. I load up the back with rubbermaid bins, ammo cans, and camping stuff when heading to the mountains. Unless the entire back is packed full, everyting slides around. After reading this I think I'm going to remove 'em. Then I can put my jumpers, tow strap and tool kit under instead of behing the rear seat. To get anything from behind the seat I have to pull the kid seat out first- PITA.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:50 AM
MonsterTruck418
New User
I can't stand the things. They make poor use of space for me. I can get more stuff in the back using the floor board and seats themselves.
I'd love to see some alternative ideas when the trays are taken out. Personally I'd like to take them out, move the seats forward 1/2" and then put under seat storage and mount a power strip to the front of that. This would give me under seat storage plus power points for whoever is sitting in the back seat.
FYI I have an 800 watt inverter for in cab and a 2,000 watt inverter run to the 10 outlet power strip mounted in my bed. So I'm thinking have on plug for the rear seat on the 800 and the other plug for the front seat.
Sorry got off topic there, I'd love to see under seat storage solutions for the back seats, please post pictures.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterTruck418
I can't stand the things. They make poor use of space for me. I can get more stuff in the back using the floor board and seats themselves.
I'd love to see some alternative ideas when the trays are taken out. Personally I'd like to take them out, move the seats forward 1/2" and then put under seat storage and mount a power strip to the front of that. This would give me under seat storage plus power points for whoever is sitting in the back seat.
FYI I have an 800 watt inverter for in cab and a 2,000 watt inverter run to the 10 outlet power strip mounted in my bed. So I'm thinking have on plug for the rear seat on the 800 and the other plug for the front seat.
Sorry got off topic there, I'd love to see under seat storage solutions for the back seats, please post pictures.
Du-Ha Truck Underseat Storage, Du Ha Truck Gun Case, Underseat Gun Storage, DuHa Storage

Old 02-04-2015, 10:55 AM
JetExpress_6.7
Senior User
A little late to the party here, but if anyone is interested in getting rid of their folding metal trays, I am looking to put one INTO my truck. Let me know!!

Quick Reply: METAL TRAYS UNDER CREW CAB SEATS