1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy from pa...updated with pics

Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 PM
gusbratz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy from pa...updated with pics

Here she is. awake from hibernation for your veiwing enjoyment.

The guys I bought it from were some kind of wheeler dealers, they must have gotton if for little or nothing. they liked it but werent real mechenical and took it to some body every time it needed any thing or wouldn't start or the battery was dead.and after a few weeks I'm sure that got expensive. You can't have that mentality if you own a truck this old. so they sold it after it sat for a while.
Kinda neat it was sitting beside a building with the front pass side out past the corner of the building and a barn caught fire like 100 yds away and the heat was so intense that it blistered the paint off of that front fender! the rest to the truck was still around the corner and was protected.
here is the bed that someday I want to replace with oak and make nice stake sides.

Some body did some patching on the floor. It is all solid and good enough for me. after i get it painted and new weather stripping I will put down dynamat and rubber floor liner in a couple years. for now put some old carpet an rubber down.

the front driver side fender is crunched up a little. that is relly the only body work I will need to do. I have been looking for a nicer fender but I am very cheap and not very pickey so I will probobly try to improve my body work skills on this one when the time comes.

Dash is uncut and all there. all ***** and switches work. I even got the little ventilators unsiezed without breaking the cabels.It is nice to have an old truck that some kid with a swazall didn't get to to put a cd player in.

solid frame with dump frame. pump seems to cavitate on the way up so I fabbed up this larger reservoir but I must admit it did not seem to help. it was so cold today I didn't think it was even going to go up.you can also see the new 6.5x16's i put on the rear I wish that I had bought some NDT they would have at least had tread on them. hopefully these last as long as the 38 year old ones that were on it before. now to save up for some front ones. they for some reason are a differnt size. 7.50x17.5? I would have thought all would be the same all around.

still has the original seat. I like it but it will have to go the springs are broken on the outside edge so as i drive down the road I feel like I am listing to the port side.

and last but not least in the engine. I think its a 292 but maybe a 272. the truck has 89,000 miles on it and it starts right up and runs graeat, idles and has plenty of power but smokes like a chimmney. I burn a Qt of oil to every gallon of gas as I go down the road. It is the biggest thing that keeps me from driveing it. I bought a set of valve stem seals and may try to do them in place but not in the winter. I have done light and breaks and tires but surpriseingly all I have done to the engie is change oil to 20W50. no points or plugs or cap and rotor . I haven't even touched the carb. As long as it sat this is amazing. the last registration in the glove box said 1972.

I think I got a pretty good deal on a nice old truck. hopefully in a couple of years when I get cement floor and heat in the garage i built (in the backround) I can fix it all up.
<!-- / message -->

Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
You may have a problem with your valve seals leaking, due to excess oil, and/or worn valve stem seals. Those old Y blocks did have a problem with oil not draining out of the valve covers, back down thru the heads. Particularly when someone didn't change oil regularly. Pull the valve covers and check the drain holes at each end of the head.

Even partially plugged drains will cause oil to build up to the valve stems.

Love the truck

Good luck

Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool looking truck! Too bad about the right fender, but it could have been worse.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts
Very cool, in my opinion it is clean as heck!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:11 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks great - good job saving an old truck and good luck on an awesome project.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
gusbratz
Junior User
i will check those drains when I pull the valve covers next spring to do valve stem seals, can I just blow air through them or use a piece of wire or something? or do those drains go at a weird angle somewhere down in the block? maybe I should put some risoline in it to flush it. I am usually against that stuff since I put seafoam in a lawnmower to remove carbon once and it did... then the carbon that was hurting nothing (maybe just raising my compression ratio) came out and trashed my cyl walls and valves. now i am scared to put harsh chemicles in an engine unless I am planning on rebuilding it.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:44 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
You might want to consider a thicker oil as you do have 80k miles on it until you can get the other work done. along with checking for the oil drainback the thicker oil might help with the smoking.

jim