Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Slot Cryo'd Rotors ?'s

Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
nissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to all
Power Slot Cryo'd Rotors ?'s

Time for new front pads and rotors. It will cost me about an exra $100 to go from OEM rotors to the Power slot cryo's. Who has them and do you think they are worth the extra $$$. I talked to Barry and he thinks they are worth it, just want to hear everyone else's .02.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
damicofuel
Senior User
damicofuel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IMHO, unless you are driving high performance or heavy duty toeing needing super breaking power, its not worth the bucks!!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
woodnthings
Postmaster
woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
I have had Power Slot rotors (Non-Cyro) on since early '04, absolutely no complaints from me on them. Have you checked out Riffraff Diesels prices? I also run the Hawk SD pads and am pretty happy with them too.

Not sure if the cryo treated ones are worth the extra money as I have no way to compare them.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
I've got them with the hawk pads. I did notice a difference in stopping distances as compared to the stock set up.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
nissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to allnissandoc is a name known to all
I have a 12k+ 5th wheel and it seems like every other time I tow it I warp the rotors, thats why I was considering the cryo's.

OH, and Clay will get my money before anyone else does.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by nissandoc View Post
I have a 12k+ 5th wheel and it seems like every other time I tow it I warp the rotors, thats why I was considering the cryo's.
Do a search with my user name and the seach term "cryo" in this forum and the Ex forum and you'll get a bunch of reading.

Cementite is the cause of your brake shudder and you cannot permanently get rid of it by turning the rotors.

Cryo'd Powerslots and Hawk LTS pads are on both my rigs. No more warped shudder feeling, towing my 10k LB travel-trailer is a breeze, and during an emergency stop at freeway speeds one time, I swear the front bumper of the Ex was gonna scrape the road.

Stewart

Old 01-21-2011, 08:24 PM
kccatpower
Senior User
kccatpower is starting off with a positive reputation.
the only thing i noticed with them is you can tell a difference between when they are cold and once they warm up if that makes sense. when you first take off they are comparable to stock, once you use them a little they are better than stock. i havent had mine on long enough to see how long they will last.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
USAF CCM has a good reputation on FTE.USAF CCM has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a set. I recommended them to a friend.....we BOTH believe we stop quicker with them. My friend's truck is stock, but mine isn't. I could definitely tell the difference between stock and my Cyro'd Powerslots when braking.

Braking power is critical in my opinion.....they're worth the extra FEW dollars.

Don't forget to get the proper Hawk pads to get the maximum benefit.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Pulling those sized loads and how frequent you pull them I'd pull the trigger on those upgraded rotors and pads. I tow maybe 2-3 times a year pulling 7000 pds so its not on my got to have list.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll go ahead and get the cryo's and Hawk LTS pads.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
USAF CCM has a good reputation on FTE.USAF CCM has a good reputation on FTE.
Let us know what you think.....I know you'll like them.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
MAKE SURE you break them in correctly!! I *thought* I did and nearly clobbered someone after floor-boarding the pedal (they were cold, too). The Hawk LTSs definitely work better warm, and I'm glad I have 'em too, after a PROPER break-in.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Izzy351 View Post
MAKE SURE you break them in correctly!! I *thought* I did and nearly clobbered someone after floor-boarding the pedal (they were cold, too). The Hawk LTSs definitely work better warm, and I'm glad I have 'em too, after a PROPER break-in.
Thanks for the heads up Joe. Whats the proper procedure for breaking them in?

Gonna call Clay later on and order them, along with a new water pump. I want to replace it before I HAVE to, plus I'm due for a coolant change anyway.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Truck Paradise
Senior User
Truck Paradise is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by nissandoc View Post
Thanks for the heads up Joe. Whats the proper procedure for breaking them in?

Gonna call Clay later on and order them, along with a new water pump. I want to replace it before I HAVE to, plus I'm due for a coolant change anyway.
Read up on how to "bed in" brakes. Its essentially several stops from high speeds to get both surfaces to bite as good as possible. You need to do it on fresh brakes before they heat cycle and you've lost your chance.

Also check with hawk to see if they have any recommended procedure.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
[quote=truck paradise;9861282]Read up on how to "bed in" brakes. Its essentially several stops from high speeds to get both surfaces to bite as good as possible. quote]

Same as any other brakes I guess. Was just wondering if there was something different about these.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Slot Cryo'd Rotors ?'s

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.