2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 ford f150 misfire/poor accelleration fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hofec1
wilber15 you are so correct. I probably would have saved money,BUT the dealers here in the Richmond, VA area have not been so friendly or affordable. Plus i really enjoy working on my own vehicles. I buy a few vehicles a year and try flipping them after making a few minor repairs. These F150's are great trucks easy to replace parts on anyhow. Is there anything I should be paying special attention to that would have caused the converters to go bad other than spark plugs,fuel injectors and COP's. Thanks

Hey, man, I'm another RVA'er. The cats can go bad from an extended rich condition or excessive oil in the exhaust. Its possible that they can go bad on a perfectly good engine too. After all, they are service parts and you have an '06 with over 100K miles. I've been running an experiment for about 20 years; using Sta-Bil in all of our vehicles. We usually trade around 5 years but on a couple of them its been around 8 years, and I've had my truck over 9 years but only 22000 miles. So far, there have been no fuel system or exhaust system problems on any vehicle. As Sta-Bil has changed over the years to meet new challenges (Ethanol, fuel injection, etc.), I have gone with the new formulas. I'm now using the blue Marine 360 which protects from Ethanol, stabilizes the gas and cleans the fuel system. I buy two or three pints of it a year and all the vehicles continue to run like new with 'sweet'-smelling cats. Never have had any 'fuel injection service'; don't have throttle body problems; never have had a stuck injector, slow starting, carbon knock, pinging or black exhaust. Maybe I've just been lucky, and its also true we don't put a lot of miles on, but I can't help but think the stabilizer/cleaner is responsible.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 AM
adro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Got a call from the shop yesterday stating that the blowback test failed miserably, especially with a load on the truck. The issues were coming from bank 1, which is the passenger side. We are getting it to the muffler shop today to have a new catalytic converter installed and see if it helps (it needs to be changed regardless so it couldn't hurt).

Still not sure how this could be connected to a Cylinder 3 misfire but am hopeful that I will have a similar experience as OP.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:16 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
how about a compression test on #3 cylinder -- rings stuck / valve leaking, gasket leaks ?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:43 PM
adro
New User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
how about a compression test on #3 cylinder -- rings stuck / valve leaking, gasket leaks ?
Hopefully that is a last resort with a new motor, but I'm not against checking out since it is under warranty.

Update: we have reflashed the PCM to no avail and discovered the Cat on the passenger side was completely blocked. We have replaced that and are now getting code P2195, which is a lean condition. We replaced the fuel filter and will know something tomorrow on whether that had any effect.

Basically anything from clogged injector to MAF to vacuum leak can throw this code. We did smoke the entire vacuum system and did not find any leaks.

More to come...

Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 PM
dannycouch99
New User
Update

Hey have you got anything back from your latest post?

Originally Posted by adro
I joined just

to share my experience and let you know what I have fought so far on my truck. Here are a few details:

2005 F-150 Supercrew 5.4l 3v
173,000 miles
Changed one injector around 65k
Torque converter change around 120k

This year I lost the battle in keeping the truck alive and was facing replacing the head on one side, looked at the cost of doing both and decided to pull the motor and drop in a new one. Got the truck back with new motor installed a few weeks ago. Because of my budget at the time I had the shop swap over the injectors and COPs.

Since getting it back, I have had flashing engine light and code for cylinder 3 misfire at WOT or under load at highway speed. Since I knew we had swapped over some parts that might have been bad I went ahead and replaced all COPs and the injector on 3. Still got a misfire on 3.

We decided to swap plug from 3 to 6. Still misfire on 3. Next we swapped injector from 3 to 6. Still got the misfire on 3. Finally, we swapped the COP on 3 to 6. Still got a misfire on 3.

Thinking it might be a computer issue, we checked continuity of the wiring of cyl 3 back to the PCM. All appeared fine. Yesterday we had the local Ford dealer reflash the PCM. Still getting misfire on cylinder 3.

All that to say, on a new motor there is not too much more that could be causing one cylinder to misfire consistently...at least in my eyes, but this thread has been very revealing.

They are replacing an O2 sensor and doing a blowback test today to see if it is the CAT. I will report back on what we find. I am hopeful that this info might help someone that is seeing a similar issue with their troubleshooting.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 AM
adro
New User
Originally Posted by dannycouch99
Hey have you got anything back from your latest post?
I have the truck back and while it is running better than ever before, I still have a code for P2195. This code indicates a lean condition. We changed an extremely dirty fuel filter and stopped there. I am going to change the MAF sensor and clean the intake soon to see if that will clear it. It really is running good though so I'm not pressured to do too much right now.

The original condition with flashing engine light was solved by changing the Cat on the passenger side.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:25 AM
dannycouch99
New User
Did that fix your mis fire issue?

I have the truck back and while it is running better than ever before, I still have a code for P2195. This code indicates a lean condition. We changed an extremely dirty fuel filter and stopped there. I am going to change the MAF sensor and clean the intake soon to see if that will clear it. It really is running good though so I'm not pressured to do too much right now.

The original condition with flashing engine light was solved by changing the Cat on the passenger side.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:56 PM
adro
New User
Originally Posted by dannycouch99
Did that fix your mis fire issue?
Yep! Runs great except for the engine light and code.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:06 PM
jiujitsustudent
Freshman User
Yep! Runs great except for the engine light and code.
Man that gives me hope. I have the same issue only it's number 8 cylinder. P0308 code. I've done everything I can do besides check under the VC. It doesn't matter because of it's that bad I cant afford to fix it. So I'm cutting the exhaust off later and hopefully When I hollowed out the cats( worst idea ever) maybe some of the internals fell down inside the pipe and is clogging up the drivers side

Old 08-08-2016, 09:26 AM
2007 F150
New User

I just bought a 2007 Ford F1 50 with the Triton V8 engine. It ran like a top when I test drove it so I bought it on the spot. A couple of weeks later it developed the notorious stuttering/misfire. I've read numerous stories of people trying to fix this problem but the general theme seems to be that the problem reoccurs. I'm thinking about having my mechanic give my truck a good tuneup and maybe even replacing the catalytic converter but I hate spending the money if it still going to run rough. any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:23 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007 F150
... and maybe even replacing the catalytic converter...

I probably wouldn't do that without a cat efficiency code or some other diagnostic result indicating the need. There might be some information that would be helpful relating to the persistent misfire problem in this post / threads. Hope it helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16216474

Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 PM
2007 F150
New User
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
I probably wouldn't do that without a cat efficiency code or some other diagnostic result indicating the need. There might be some information that would be helpful relating to the persistent misfire problem in this post / threads. Hope it helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16216474
My check engine light came on and was told that the code was for inefficient emissions. I unhooked my +battery cable to reset and my truck seems to stutter less often but I get a hard misfire and bogging down under hard acceleration. Everything I've read about this problem with the most common fixes were people replacing plugs, coils and converters. Some people had trans works done and all reported the misfire/stuttering returned. I haven't found anything about replacing the computer. Since my problem was a little better after a reset, could it be a computer problem? If so, is there another year computer that compatable with my 2007?

Old 08-09-2016, 02:04 AM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Except in extreme cases, I don't agree with the replacing coils or converters or that it is your trans. Although, if misfires are allowed to continue, it can eat your CATS. Too many misfires can, will, and does result in efficiency codes P0420 and P0430. If there is too much unburned fuel (from failing to ignite and burn it in the cylinder) will SWAMP the catalytic converters to the point they cannot burn up all of it and they will overheat / melt / clog. Too much of that action will show up as a "Flashing" check engine light - indicating potential CAT damaging condition is present.

It could be a computer problem - but a battery reset many times will do exactly what you report, so at this time, I do not think you have a computer problem.

How many miles on the vehicle and on the plugs? Have the O2 sensors EVER been replaced? Based on what you have said so far, I would start with Plugs, coil boots, (O2 sensors if over 100,000 miles on them) and a good, careful, clean plug job considering some of the things from the link in my last post.

Good Luck, and don't let the misfires continue. I believe the good hard jolt from misfires can lead to broken cam chain guides and timing chain issues on these engines.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 AM
pjhaddock
New User
Ok here is one that I haven't seen. My 2005 5.4 has been misfiring (bucks & jerks) at low RPM's at highway speed if I lightly press on the gas to put it under load. I try to get it to throw a code to help, but it will not no matter how much I make it do it. I use my Edge Programmer to read the codes, or lack of. I replaced the plugs about 15k miles ago and it ran fine up until the past couple months. Guess I'm going to take them all back out and check everything. If anyone has any suggestions since it will not throw a code I'd appreciate it. If I ever figure it out I will post back what it was. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:12 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pjhaddock
Ok here is one that I haven't seen. My 2005 5.4 has been misfiring (bucks & jerks) at low RPM's at highway speed if I lightly press on the gas to put it under load.
Wow mate. I'd have to say you haven't spent a lot of time researching the problem on this, or other F150 sites if you haven't seen THIS ONE.

To help get you started, I invite you to read over this post for starters.

5.4L 3V Spark Plugs Engine Build Dates before 10/09/07 - Page 86 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Search on "random misfire" to find more.

Also. I beseech you to not try to make it "buck / jerk". I believe that is a primary thing that leads to the timing chains slapping the hell out of - and breaking - timing chain guides.

Try to figure out and eliminate what is causing the random misfires.

Quick Reply: 2006 ford f150 misfire/poor accelleration fixed