1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

alright how do you get the end link off @ pitman arm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
alright how do you get the end link off @ pitman arm?

Guys, doing everything from the pitman arm down steering related, got both left and right off using a pickle fork on the air chisel. The link on the pitman arm is being stubborn. I don't have a torch or else I would have hit it with heat already, letting it sit with PBblaster overnight. any tips or just keep working it? Really don't want to damage the steering box

Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd say let it sit with the PB blaster on it and try angain in the morning and it should come off

Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have to bang on that thread for the joint to pop it out of the pitman arm, make sure to keep the nut of the joint on the thread before you strike it with a hammer. I had to replace my entire link and joint because I didnt put the nut on to absorb the force of the hammer striking the threads, which munged em up ad made it impossible to put it back on.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thank you both Mike and Chris, I'll give 'er the old college try in a couple hours

Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Propane torch worked... didn't think it would get hot enough. Thanks guys

Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM
rn360908
Senior User
Glad you got it off, but here is a tip for future people.
As you guys all know the tie rod ends all have tapers on them and the hole in the pitman arm and holes in the knuckles on the axle are tapered and coned shape. If you spin the nut off and then use a big hammer you can hit the narrowest part of the pitman arm and knuckle and this will cause the tie rod end to pop out and you don't have to heat up anything or risk tearing up your rubber boots when you use a pickle fork with a air hammer. You want to hit in the red box area in the direction of the red arrows in the picture below, and make sure you don't hit the threads of the tierod end because it will make it hard to reinstall the nut. I can normally get each tie rod off with about 2-3 good hits with a 3pound hammer.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
I'll have to try that next time, which hopefully won't be for a while. Thanks

Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the info and picture, Ryan. Reps sent.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 PM
rn360908
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
Thanks for the info and picture, Ryan. Reps sent.
Thanks for the Rep man

Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
My pleasure. When I find good info, especially with pictures, I let people know by giving reputation points when deserved, and this one is definately deserving IMHO.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Ryan, just sent you some rep also. was on moble earlier and it wouldn't let me do it and i couldn't see the pics.. a picture is worth 1000 words

Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
tbone heller
Senior User
Originally Posted by rn360908
As you guys all know the tie rod ends all have tapers on them and the hole in the pitman arm and holes in the knuckles on the axle are tapered and coned shape. If you spin the nut off and then use a big hammer you can hit the narrowest part of the pitman arm and knuckle and this will cause the tie rod end to pop out and you don't have to heat up anything or risk tearing up your rubber boots when you use a pickle fork with a air hammer. You want to hit in the red box area in the direction of the red arrows in the picture below, and make sure you don't hit the threads of the tierod end because it will make it hard to reinstall the nut. I can normally get each tie rod off with about 2-3 good hits with a 3pound hammer.

That is the way to do it.
ANOTHER TIP: Leave the nut retaining the tie rod, ball joint, or whatever it is that you are removing, attached loosely, by the last 3 threads or so, so when your parts come apart, they don't hit you in the head or fall on your foot. It will also protect the threads, as mentioned above, in case you miss & planed on reusing what you are removing.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tbone heller
ANOTHER TIP: Leave the nut retaining the tie rod, ball joint, or whatever it is that you are removing, attached loosely, by the last 3 threads or so, so when your parts come apart, they don't hit you in the head or fall on your foot.
So that's where the 'egg' on my head came from... ouch

Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rn360908

Great info! I know from personal experience this is the way to do it. Works EVERY time! 1 thing to add, if at first it doesn't come, don't get a bigger hammer, smack really sharp and quick, that will jar it loose more than hitting it with too big a hammer.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 PM
johnbrown
Junior User
Unhappy pitman arm

Hi, hitting it with a hammer distorts the hole,also pull down as you hit with the hammer.
Did not have to hit mine as it snapped off at the gear box sitting in my garage just turning steering wheel.

Last edited by johnbrown; 01-21-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: missing word

Quick Reply: alright how do you get the end link off @ pitman arm?