SCAM Alert - This is the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 08:25 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all of you that have saved the emails from these scammers:

Have you reported this to the FBI? Most likely they can trace the path that the emails took to get you. (A little something I learned in the telecom biz) They should be able to find out each router(ip address) that the message traveled through to arrive to you. Then they can at least find a close if not exact proximity of the scammers.(That's one of the ways they catch kiddie **** creeps.)

Also, if you or they are using AOL, you might get lucky a partial list of IP addresses might appear in the email body. That's what happens when an AOL user emails my outlook express account. Very cool!

As for falling for a scam like that, well, I'm the most skeptical person I know. I haven't fallen for any scams yet. But I'd sure like to catch some of the scammers.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:29 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The FBI has responded to emails. They've basically said there's nothing they can do about it because its offshore and the best option is to delete the emails.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster

Well, since the officials don't seem to want to bother with it, here is some info for ya'll that want to do a little snooping on these creeps.

If you want to find the originating IP address for their emails follow these instructions=

The emails have headers which can be traced. To see them in Microsoft Outlook, double-click the message. Then click View, Options.

In Outlook Express, click the message. Then click File, Properties and select the Details tab.

In Eudora, double click the message. Then click the Blah Blah button.

In Netscape, click the message to open it. Then click View, Message Source to display the header. Your Internet information is revealed in the sections that begin with "Received." The Received section includes an Internet Protocol (IP) Address, such as 555.555.55.55, that can be traced on web sites.

Here is a good IP search website=
www.arin.net/whois

The IP address on email messages might be the Internet Service Provider's IP, not the computer terminal that the user is sending the emails from. But from there, the ISP can find out who/where the emails are originating from.

Anyway, thought this might be interesting or helpful.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:44 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

> i still have the check but dont dare deposit it some
> how he could probly get my account #

The problem with depositing personal/business checks is that they get their check back with all your information on the back. So what if their check is good.

Your account number is on the back, with your sign., along (most likely) with your bank's complete routing information. Now you are ripe for the fraud picking.

> You can pick up the phone and call or e-mail the issuing
> institution of the cashier's check or money order to verify
> if it's valid.

They get a valid money order, duplicate it, and then send it out to ten different people at the same time. They will more than likely not be caught or red flagged until they have the goods from five different people already.

Only accept a money order from a place where you can go and CASH it, where the person will not be getting the item back with your personal information on it. Maybe Walmart or a national bank money order.

I accept only PayPal, Postal money orders I cash right at the window, and BIDPAY (since they guaranteee payment once its deposited).

Seller beware is more important than buyer beware because sellers have fewer rights and recourses than buyers.

Old 04-27-2003, 12:07 AM
nmrapro50
New User
Angry SCAM Alert - This is the real deal

I've had multiple contacts from SCAM Artist all having something to do with Africa and Cashiers Checks and all having one common thread, all of them had a Yahoo e-mail account. All wanted to send a cashiers check and have me send the balance that was left to someone in Africa. The scam is they want the leftover amount sent Western Union Money Gram prior to cashing the Cashiers Check, fortunately I was warned of the scam prior to being contacted by the SCAM Artist and told this scam used counterfeit cashiers checks.

You can forward the e-mail with full header information to the abuse section of the internet provider of the e-mail account of the SCAM Artist and have them track down the offender and take appropriate action.

Don't accept any kind of payment other than the kind PAY-PAL or Yahoo offers by internet or bank to bank fund transfers and open a special account to have the funds transferred into at your bank.

Old 05-09-2003, 04:31 PM
mbanks21
New User

Hey Im dealing witht his guy right now...he said he wants to buy a Bilstein suspension Im selling for $1000. He's gonna send me a check for $3500 and he wants me to Western Union the rest to his friend in Nigeria. Im so glad I came upon this post or I woulda been out a few thousand bucks and a suspension, thanks guys!

Old 05-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent!

Rule #1

"If it sounds to good to be true, It isn't"

Old 05-09-2003, 09:29 PM
nmrapro50
New User

Glad to help, I'm sure you have all herd the phrase " Buyer Beware " in these cases, Seller Beware.
By the way, as of late I've received a scam offer by e-mail from an expatriated person from a country which is in civil war, but has millions of dollars in that countries banks, but can't get at the funds because their in exile. The scam is, they offer you the opportunity to earn a commission for using your bank account to transfer the funds into, but first you must pay fees to transfer the Millions of Dollars. Of course there are no real banks involved and no real money, at least not for you.
So, if it sounds too good to be true, 99.99% of the time it is too good to be true. So, guys keep your eyes open and if a deal is questionable get absolute proof before proceeding with it. Never send anything, money or merchandise before your bank has verified the check is real with the bank it is drawn against and a hold is put on the funds for the amount of the check.

nmrapro50

Old 05-11-2003, 05:50 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru

...Im in the process of seelling the old lady's harley on AOL's classifieds...We were just contacted by "oseauto_22(No Email Addresses In Posts!), Said that he was interested in buying and if a cashiers cheque was acceptable...I replied, "sure him or his agent could could pick up the bike when the cheque cleared the bank...in other words cash on delivery." We havent heard from him since...humm, I wonder...
They claimed to be from Tunisia, Africa...

Old 05-11-2003, 08:15 PM
nmrapro50
New User
Thumbs up SCAM Alert - This is the real deal

Dpn't just wate untill the check clears have your bank verify the check is good when you go to deposit it.

Old 05-12-2003, 07:44 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru

...If I ever hear from them again and this sale goes through, the only thing Im going to deposit into my account is cash...
I just finished watching that movie "Catch me if you can", Now Im more paranoid than usual...

Old 05-16-2003, 02:09 PM
stunovce
New User

When I receive these offers I tell them to send a CERTIFIED CHECK drawn on a USA bank and that I am fowarding the message to the FBI, They never come back. Thanks to all participants This is a GREAT SITE . Stunovce

Old 05-16-2003, 05:36 PM
mm68
New User

glad i read this . I;m about to sell some junk around the garage

Old 05-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That for the Heads up I also recieved one of those e-mails

Old 06-06-2003, 08:39 AM
goofin
Senior User

my brother in law is an fbi agent, send copies of these scams to them. also for those in the us, contact your states attorney generals office. PA AG's is aware of the problem and are trying to resolve it. plus after reading them i always reply back to them with an offer to sell them swamp land in NYC. funny i never get any takers!

Quick Reply: SCAM Alert - This is the real deal