EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Maintenance on an Ecoboost question

Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
diver110
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance on an Ecoboost question

Years ago I owned a Saab turbo, and it was more of a hassle to maintain. Luckily my mechanic was also a friend, so the cost did not get out of hand. It is now the better part of 30 years later. What additional maintenance costs can one expect from the Ecoboost?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
well for one thing, I believe the EB V6 will require 1 quart of oil less than the 5.4, 2 quarts less than the new 5.0. So there's a saving.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I want to know is how easy are oil filter, plugs (not COP I hope!!), fuel filter, air filter, etc. to change. The things I like to do myself. Not to mention, how will the ball joints, electric windows, etc., things like that hold up? I get tired of these two steps forward, three steps backwards in all this so-called advances in trucks.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
Originally Posted by GuyGene
What I want to know is how easy are oil filter, plugs (not COP I hope!!), fuel filter, air filter, etc. to change. The things I like to do myself. Not to mention, how will the ball joints, electric windows, etc., things like that hold up? I get tired of these two steps forward, three steps backwards in all this so-called advances in trucks.
I cant imagine the ECOboost would have any effect on the reliability of the ball joints, windows, etc.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Hobo
Senior User
How would the motor affect reliability of power windows? As for ball joints, well the EcoBoost most likely weighs a bit less than a V8.... so if anything front suspension components should be more reliable with the lighter engine up front.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 AM
skywagon
Senior User

Maintenance with the eco boost is a BIG problem. 5K worth of dental bills to make your teeth look good for the big azz smile when you put the pedel to the metal lol!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
After all the research I have done (been studying on the EB since it became public), I believe the only people who are going to have major maintenance costs/issue are those who try to do extensive "modding" to the engine.

I'm all for making a truck your own, but the EB is very likely the most technically controlled engine that Ford has produced to date. If you start changing parts, and neglect or fail to reprogram the PCM, there are going to be problems.
I've already seen a number of posts on various forums about how somebody changed plugs, exhaust, or some other component, on their 2010 and their truck "won't run." DUHH!!!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert when it comes to computer control on vehicles....the truck I'm about to order will be my first brand new vehicle in my 47 years. I have done enough homework to realize the the 2011 trucks have more electronic sensors on them than bolts/nuts....and all those sensors lead to a central processor....if a senor sends the wrong input (such as would happen if a specific type of plug isn't used), or no input (you pulled a sensor while "modding" something) at best your going to get a "check engine" warning.....and at worst you'll have a truck that won't start/run.

I think that if a person takes care of an EB equipped truck, with routine maintenance, and doesn't try to modify the snot outta it, it's going to be a very reliable rig. IF a person is someone who drives the crap out of a vehicle, and only pays attention to it when a "trouble" light appears, then your gona get what you deserve....problems.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
diver110
Junior User
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
After all the research I have done (been studying on the EB since it became public), I believe the only people who are going to have major maintenance costs/issue are those who try to do extensive "modding" to the engine.

I'm all for making a truck your own, but the EB is very likely the most technically controlled engine that Ford has produced to date. If you start changing parts, and neglect or fail to reprogram the

PCM, there are going to be problems.
I've already seen a number of posts on various forums about how somebody changed plugs, exhaust, or some other component, on their 2010 and their truck "won't run." DUHH!!!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert when it comes to computer control on vehicles....the truck I'm about to order will be my first brand new vehicle in my 47 years. I have done enough homework to realize the the 2011 trucks have more electronic sensors on them than bolts/nuts....and all those sensors lead to a central processor....if a senor sends the wrong input (such as would happen if a specific type of plug isn't used), or no input (you pulled a sensor while "modding" something) at best your going to get a "check engine" warning.....and at worst you'll have a truck that won't start/run.

I think that if a person takes care of an EB equipped truck, with routine maintenance, and doesn't try to modify the snot outta it, it's going to be a very reliable rig. IF a person is someone who drives the crap out of a vehicle, and only pays attention to it when a "trouble" light appears, then your gona get what you deserve....problems.

Thanks for the feedback, Ed. Would your views change if the EB were used for moderate offroading? Also, are there any sites you know of that address this topic?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
It all depends on what "moderate offroading" means.....I live in Montana, and we have more gravel/dirt roads than paved....and as a matter of course, especially during the summer months and hunting season, we do about as much "offroading" as on, simply because there are no roads leading to where we want to go/be.

If your talking about taking a new rig out and "thrashing" it just for the fun of it, I would expect more issues than say my 87 Toyota truck....simply because of the complexity of a new truck.....to me that just mean if your going to do something like that, your going to have to pay more attention to maintaining your truck. As with most things, if you neglect it, expect issues. If you take the time and effort to maintain in proportion to how you use it, then I think issue will be minimal.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right, joisey, I guess this post is only about the engine, but I was just thinking about some of the other things that they sometimes miss on new models. Anyway, from what I have read, it seems Ford has done some great testing on this new engine...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
diver110
Junior User
It all depends on what "moderate offroading" means.....I live in Montana, and we have more gravel/dirt roads than paved....and as a matter of course, especially during the summer months and hunting season, we do about as much "offroading" as on, simply because there are no roads leading to where we want to go/be.

If your talking about taking a new rig out and "thrashing" it just for the fun of it, I would expect more issues than say my 87 Toyota truck....simply because of the complexity of a new truck.....to me that just mean if your going to do something like that, your going to have to pay more attention to maintaining your truck. As with most things, if you neglect it, expect issues. If you take the time and effort to maintain in proportion to how you use it, then I think issue will be minimal.

I truly meant moderate, no thrashing, but maybe trails with lots of rocks, maybe angled 10 degrees, occasionally driving through a shallow stream. My real question is whether the gas savings will be offset by extra maintenance costs.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
Thanks for clarifying! If your comparing the EB to say the 5.0, I think the POTENTIAL for higher maintenance costs is there....ONLY because with the EB you're dealing with higher cost components like the direct injection, high pressure fuel delivery system, and the turbo chargers. If any of those components were to require replacing, I would anticipate more expense in replacing them, simply because they are not present on the other engines available in the F150.
That dosen't mean that the maintenance costs WILL be higher, only that the potential is there. My personal belief is that the EB will as reliable as the 5.0, or any of the other engines Ford is offering in the F150, and will require no more in maintenance costs than any of the other engine choices.
I just got home from the dealership, where I placed my order for a new truck with the EB engine...but I will also be purchasing the top end warranty for the truck too....that way if my instincts are proven wrong, I will have the warranty to fall back on.
My decision to go with the EB was based on several months of research, the MPGs, and the fact that for those MPGs, I'll be getting an awesome amount of HP and torque. Others may scoff, but I think if driven conservatively, the truck will be capable of better than the advertised MPGs....especially with a tuner and custom tunes (once the warranty expires).

Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
diver110
Junior User
Thanks for the feedback, Ed. I am thinking of going the same way, including the warranty. I anticipate fuel prices doubling in the next 5 years or so. Once the economy kicks in gear, it will quickly go back to 4 then slowly edge up to 6 is my guess, so saving some mpg could really pay off.

Were you able to buy yours for close to invoice? I am a little torn on when to place the order. When I wend to a nearby dealer yesterday, they said they would sell it for a "few hundred dollars" over invoice. Don't know whether to order now or hold off for a month or 2 and maybe get a better deal. Then again, in absolute terms the savings probably won't be huge if I wait, and my trade will be worth less....

Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,216 Likes on 799 Posts
Ford has proven through it's videos and tear down that the engine will seemlessly perform from Baja to Florida in a standard F-150, a raptor and a purpose built Baja truck. The same engine was used in all three.

So far as we know right now the engine requires 5w-30 motor oil VS 5w-20 oil due to the turbos needing a heavier oil.

As for the rest of the truck concerning power windows and such. I think Ford needs to use better quality window regulators, blend door actuators and simply stuff like this that can run up your costs.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks for clarifying! If your comparing the EB to say the 5.0, I think the POTENTIAL for higher maintenance costs is there....ONLY because with the EB you're dealing with higher cost components like the direct injection, high pressure fuel delivery system, and the turbo chargers. If any of those components were to require replacing, I would anticipate more expense in replacing them, simply because they are not present on the other engines available in the F150.
That dosen't mean that the maintenance costs WILL be higher, only that the potential is there. My personal belief is that the EB will as reliable as the 5.0, or any of the other engines Ford is offering in the F150, and will require no more in maintenance costs than any of the other engine choices.
I just got home from the dealership, where I placed my order for a new truck with the EB engine...but I will also be purchasing the top end warranty for the truck too....that way if my instincts are proven wrong, I will have the warranty to fall back on.
My decision to go with the EB was based on several months of research, the MPGs, and the fact that for those MPGs, I'll be getting an awesome amount of HP and torque. Others may scoff, but I think if driven conservatively, the truck will be capable of better than the advertised MPGs....especially with a tuner and custom tunes (once the warranty expires).

In your post several comments up you talk about not modifiying it and now you are talking about putting a programmer on it. If you are worried about the engine enough to buy an extended warranty, then I dang sure wouldn't be modding it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maintenance on an Ecoboost question