1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

good starting point needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good starting point needed!

Hello Everyone

As promised I'm keeping everyone updated on my first project. I trailered her home yesterday and put her in a storage area since I don't have a garage at my apt. I started her up but she stalled every 20-30 ft, it was a little frustrating but I already have my new 4 bl carb and manifold I plane to bolt on this week and possibly do the distributor also so it has great firing and can breath! since it's been sitting for awhile I know the engine is full of fun and gunk, what is a great engine cleaner to run through my fuel??

Since everyone here has built a few of these I'm looking for tips and ideas on how to make this a smooth project or as smooth as it can go. I've already created a work list and first thing is to get this engine running with the parts listed above. Then I'd like to start working on the body and aligning the front hood and fender's. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way? Lend your advice please!

I will add some photos in awhile here and on my gallery!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
First thing you should do is decide what you want to do with the truck when it is done.Do you want to sit in a parking lot and look at it,or maybe drag race it,then there are a number of driver options,Like will this be a Sundy afternoon cruiser or a way to get to work and the store. If it is to be used as a everyday driver,will you pull a boat or camper.Do you want gas mileage,or tire burning power.The final thing is how much cash do you want to spend? From your other post I would think getting your truck to look like the picture would be 15,000-20,000 $ if you do all the work.My best advice will be start with a good plan on what you want to end with.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Originally Posted by DR Smith
First thing you should do is decide what you want to do with the truck when it is done.Do you want to sit in a parking lot and look at it,or maybe drag race it,then there are a number of driver options,Like will this be a Sundy afternoon cruiser or a way to get to work and the store. If it is to be used as a everyday driver,will you pull a boat or camper.Do you want gas mileage,or tire burning power.The final thing is how much cash do you want to spend? From your other post I would think getting your truck to look like the picture would be 15,000-20,000 $ if you do all the work.My best advice will be start with a good plan on what you want to end with.

DR Smith,

Thank you for the advice it's all being taken in right now. I'm looking to drive it about 2-3 times a week, i work about 5 miles away so round trip would be 10 miles and maybe on the weekends once in awhile. I don't want it to just sit and that's it. If i work on it i want people to see it as the progress get's better.

I'm looking to add a few engine items to give it a little power but nothing to extreme, that's what my next project is going to be.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelmilburn
since it's been sitting for awhile I know the engine is full of fun and gunk, what is a great engine cleaner to run through my fuel??
Good looking truck. You are starting way ahead of me.

If it's been sitting a while, (months or years?) I would check over the brakes pretty thorough. Check the hoses for rot, check all the cylinders for leaks, etc. Check the master cylinder for rust in the fluid.

I would also drain the fuel, and start with a fresh tank. If you put some sta-bil fuel stabilizer in it, it will dissolve any varnish in the tank, lines, and the fuel pump. We use it in boats that have been sitting, and it works pretty well.

Looks like a great project, enjoy!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Good looking truck. You are starting way ahead of me.

If it's been sitting a while, (months or years?) I would check over the brakes pretty thorough. Check the hoses for rot, check all the cylinders for leaks, etc. Check the master cylinder for rust in the fluid.

I would also drain the fuel, and start with a fresh tank. If you put some sta-bil fuel stabilizer in it, it will dissolve any varnish in the tank, lines, and the fuel pump. We use it in boats that have been sitting, and it works pretty well.

Looks like a great project, enjoy!
EffieTrucker,

It's been sitting for months but was running for awhile good until the carb took a poop. back in dec I went to see it 3 times and drove it everytime with it's current issue's and saw it twice in jan doing the same thing and drove it.

It starts and runs but dies. I use sta-bil all the time on my other truck since I'm deployed for months at a time, but I did not know it could do all that, I will add that tomorrow when I bolt on the manifold and carb! Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Good looking truck. Like said above check brakes, fuel lines, hoses etc. If you think the oil has been in it for a while, I would drop pan and clean the pan. If I had a truck in that condition I would do little projects so I could keep on driving it. Small projects that can be completed in a day or two. I have bought many a vehicle where someone has taken it completely apart and lost interest. They don't realize they come apart a lot easier than they go back together... imagine that.

Good Luck,
Paul

Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Before installing that new carb. you should at least drain and flush the entire fuel system. Failure to do this could result in having the new carb gunked up with the same bad gas that is already giving you problems.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Before installing that new carb. you should at least drain and flush the entire fuel system. Failure to do this could result in having the new carb gunked up with the same bad gas that is already giving you problems.
I'm going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, it has about 2 gallons of has in it and I'm added sta-bil which I'm told helps with corrison and bad elements in fuel, can't think of what I'm trying to say, just nervous about this install but looking forward to it to learn

Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the tanks on these old girls has a drain . forget the stabil and FLUSH out the entire system including the tank ! all tanks have garbage in 'em from the fuel itself and you could very easily just have some of it floating 'round just 'nuff to choke off the supply , not too mention with only 2 gallons in it you could just have a simple case of the feed line being uncovered when you even think of moving it and stalling her / starving her out . it took 3 or 4 times too get my tank flushed out and the same for the 52 customline i drug home last summer , before they'd run and drive correctly . and like mentioned really thoroughly check the brakes ! you dont want too hurt the ol' girl in an accident with a nasty suprise of ooooooooooooooopppppppppsssssssssss there goes a seal and no whoa power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice looking truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would drain the tank flush it before bolting on the new parts, replace filters and so forth so your fuel lines are good and clear. Once you get the motor running your next thing should be to go through the brake system and make sure its up to par and safe enuff to ride around with your family...

Old 01-19-2011, 04:54 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I guess I look at things differently. All the info on the fuel system is good advice. However for me I would go about it differently.

Since the trucks runs and you want to keep it as close to that as possible I would first make sure my steering AND my brakes were right on the money before the engine. If you can't steer and stop safely then it doesn't matter if it runs.

Now is the time for you to decide how you are going to work on this truck and how you are going to make repairs and upgrades. Are you going to just "fix it" to get it going and "upgrade " later OR are you going to do the fix and up grade at the same time. Interesting question......

jim