Magnesol?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnesol?

Ok guys I need some opinions. I make small simple batches of biodiesel (15 gallons at a time). I use 1 35 cone tank for everything. I have been bubble washing my batch for the past several years but was going to experiment with magnesol. My process is very simple and want to keep it that way. So if I wanted to switch to Magnesol I had in mind to use this procedure. 1. after removing gly. I would warm the biodiesel then add 2% of magnesol to this and stir with mechanical mixer for 15 minutes. This is where I get conflicting reports...How long should I let this settle? I was thinking overnight but If I could get away with a shorter time I would. After settling I would drain the magnesol from the bottom of my cone tank. Once I felt comfortable the bulk of the magnesol was out I would then gravity filter thru some sock filters. This is the second part I have had conflicting reports on. Can I get by with using a 10 and then 5 micron sock? I have read stories from folks using magnesol stating it cant be removed even by using a 1 micron? If this is this is the case I think I will stick to water washing. Just wanted some opinions on my procedure and how magnesol might help. Sorry to be long winded.....Maxx

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fabman advised me to let it settle out overnight, and that has worked out well. I run mine through sock filters down to 1 micron, then pump it through an absolute (screw on filter) after that. There has since been no buildup in fuel bowl, so I'm thinking it's working. I used to have problems with water in the fuel, since I went to Magnesol, that problem went away...

Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If I couldn't use Magnesol I probably wouldn't even make bio! Water washing is just not the way to go if you want quality bio. Let it settle overnight, then a 10 mic filter, then a 5 mic filter, then a final with a 1Mic absolute. You can use just 1% Magnesol IF you remove the soap FIRST. I do that by vacuum. If you pull a vacuum on your bio the soap will come out of suspension and fall to the bottom and can be drained off.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
At the risk of being a dumb question....What is 1 mic absolute? I see that a lot but not sure if this is implying just a 1 mic sock filter or something more elaborate. thanks for the replys guys. Been making bio for 2 years and never had an issue. I mix B50 and it seems to work great. I just like to keep things simple.....Maxx

Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Oh I see.. I took a google on 1 mic absolute and found out what you are talking about. How often do you need to clean or change filters? A friend of mine had a jury rigged filter setup in his garage and ran it thru some whole house water filters (5 mic), within 30 seconds his filters were clogged due to the magnesol. I assume he should have use a 25 or 50 mic filter initially and then gone to a lower setting. Thanks again....Maxx

Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
1 question I forgot to ask about Magnesol was which size sock filter catches the bulk of the magnesol when gravity filtering?. This way I will know to purchase more of that particialar micron size? Thanks Maxx

Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

I turn mine inside out and blast them with the pressure washer... the majority of Magnesol is caught by the 10 micron. Assume you are siphoning off the top?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys. I appeciate it. I will give Magnesol a try in my operation and see how I like it...Maxx

Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by ttttmaxx
1 question I forgot to ask about Magnesol was which size sock filter catches the bulk of the magnesol when gravity filtering?. This way I will know to purchase more of that particialar micron size? Thanks Maxx
I mechanically mix mine for 1 hour. Let settle for a full 24 hours, then pump the BD off the top being careful not to let the pickup tube touch the top of the Magnesol layer. I use a diaphram pump and run it under pressure through a home built PVC tube with a 5mic at the top and 1 mic at the bottom into a 55 gallon storage tank. When I need some, I use another PVC tube with a fuel hose connected to the bottom to shove in the truck tank. This also has a 1 mic filter in it. I also use a pressure pump (diaphram) to transfer. I make sure the pickup tube is off the bottom of the storage tank thereby ensuring that any Magnesol that MAY have passed the initial filter will settle in the storage tank. Using this method, I have only had to clean the 5 mic sock filter once in over 500 gallons. Side note..I checked the bottom of the storage tank for any Magnesol residue and there was NONE. After about 4-5 batches, I clean the old Magnesol out of the mix tank. Perfect results.
Tom

Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Tom! Good to see you on here. I think the bio forum is due for a revival. The price of fuel is rising and I see a lot of questions about bio in the other forums. I posted a new sticky at the top of the forum to show new people what our systems look like. Would you post pics of your setup? My second gen system is in pieces right now while I build Gen 3, and more to my new shop and house. Maybe some other users will post pics of their's also.............
Good to have ya back!
Don.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Tom! Good to see you on here. I think the bio forum is due for a revival. The price of fuel is rising and I see a lot of questions about bio in the other forums. I posted a new sticky at the top of the forum to show new people what our systems look like. Would you post pics of your setup? My second gen system is in pieces right now while I build Gen 3, and more to my new shop and house. Maybe some other users will post pics of their's also.............
Good to have ya back!
Don.
Thanks Don. Sure was quiet for quite a while but knew the newbies would come out of the woodwork as soon as the prices started creeping up. I have become such a BD fanatic that it just kills me to "pollute" my truck's engine with nasty dino fuel. I reluctantly went down and converted 1 of my tanks to B80 for the winter. I only start on it then switch to B100. It starts on B100 (I never checked the cloud point.Need to do that) but I am a little concerned that the B100 viscosity might be hard on the injector pump. Any idea how much the viscosity changes with temp drop?
I hate to admit this, But I don't know how to post pics or even retreive your processor pics you are talking about. Never got that proficient on computers. Too busy doing other things and also the fact we both agreed I'm an old fart.
I'll try to keep in touch now that we have some posts to look at. Hope your Christmas went well this year.
Tom

Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Tom D
I mechanically mix mine for 1 hour. Let settle for a full 24 hours, then pump the BD off the top being careful not to let the pickup tube touch the top of the Magnesol layer. I use a diaphram pump and run it under pressure through a home built PVC tube with a 5mic at the top and 1 mic at the bottom into a 55 gallon storage tank. When I need some, I use another PVC tube with a fuel hose connected to the bottom to shove in the truck tank. This also has a 1 mic filter in it. I also use a pressure pump (diaphram) to transfer. I make sure the pickup tube is off the bottom of the storage tank thereby ensuring that any Magnesol that MAY have passed the initial filter will settle in the storage tank. Using this method, I have only had to clean the 5 mic sock filter once in over 500 gallons. Side note..I checked the bottom of the storage tank for any Magnesol residue and there was NONE. After about 4-5 batches, I clean the old Magnesol out of the mix tank. Perfect results.
Tom
I use the same proceedure, maybe it was yours I copied? Anyway, Where did you get your diaphragm pump? I get mine from Dudadiesel, seems to last about a year before it starts losing suction...

Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom D
Thanks Don. Sure was quiet for quite a while but knew the newbies would come out of the woodwork as soon as the prices started creeping up. I have become such a BD fanatic that it just kills me to "pollute" my truck's engine with nasty dino fuel. I reluctantly went down and converted 1 of my tanks to B80 for the winter. I only start on it then switch to B100. It starts on B100 (I never checked the cloud point.Need to do that) but I am a little concerned that the B100 viscosity might be hard on the injector pump. Any idea how much the viscosity changes with temp drop?
I hate to admit this, But I don't know how to post pics or even retreive your processor pics you are talking about. Never got that proficient on computers. Too busy doing other things and also the fact we both agreed I'm an old fart.
I'll try to keep in touch now that we have some posts to look at. Hope your Christmas went well this year.
Tom
Your not THAT old......lol You've sent me pics before, so send me some pics of your setup and I'll post them in the thread. I have the "power"now that I'm a Mod.............

Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Sounds like you guys have quite the setups! Thanks for sharing it was a big help. Maxx

Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
I use the same proceedure, maybe it was yours I copied? Anyway, Where did you get your diaphragm pump? I get mine from Dudadiesel, seems to last about a year before it starts losing suction...
When you post that you are running the BD through a sock filter and capturing the Magnesol in it, it leads me to believe that you are pumping Magnesol through the diaphram pump. If so, I suspect you are wearing out the diaphrams with the powder. As I posted, I let all my Magnesol settle so I am only pumping almost pure BD. I get VERY LITTLE Magnesol in my sock filter.
I got my pump from Duda Diesel about 1 year ago. Still pumps great. Contact them and request a rebuild kit which includes new diaphrams.
Tom

Quick Reply: Magnesol?