Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

'93 Turbo - where to attach oil pressure test gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 PM
John D in CT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil pressure gauge on the dash is reading a little low and I'd like to put a gauge on the engine. Can anyone tell me where there's a tapped port I can thread my gauge into? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Factory turbos and the 093 ATS system use the stock oil pressure sending unit location for the turbo oil supply and relocate the sender.

In that picture the CDR is labled.
Just below that is the glow plug relay with the two large yellow wires going to it.
If you follow the yellow wires toward the glow plug relay, just where they turn black, the oil pressure sending unit is just right and down a little.
You can see the single wire angle connector on the top center of it.

IDIDieselJohn was so nice to post this picture of the E series engine where you can see the back of the engine while it is installed, I borrowed it.
What thread is the oil sending unit?

Stock unit is 1/4" pipe thread if I remember right.
On the drivers side of the engine there is a row of five pipe plugs with 1/4" square heads.
Those are 1/8" pipe thread plugs that go into the oil gallery that distrubutes oil to the crank, oil jets and cam.
Any of those that are far enough from the exhaust and steering column would be OK to use.

That would also leave your stock gauge working as well.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If the 93 turbo is a stock Ford turbo unit, the turbo oil supply is where the oil pressure sensor is on a NA motor.

I ran a tee in the turbo oil supply line for a long time.
And I always had what I considered very low oil pressure at idle with a real mechanical gauge.
I moved my mechanical gauge feed from the turbo supply line down to the row of plugged ports and now have a true oil pressure reading.
And I feel a lot better about my hot idle oil pressure.

Use the square headed 1/8" pipe plugs on the drivers side.

In that picture just below the center main bearing cap, just below the oil pan lip you can see one of the plugs I am talking about.
It is to the left side of the main bearing slightly because of the angle the picture was taken at.

Look for a shiney square that the light is reflecting off of.

There is a plug just above the oil pan lip outboard from every main bearing cap, five in all.

Drivers side of the block is down in the picture.
The one for the rear main cap is way back and way out there, to close to the exhaust cross over.
If I remember right, number 4 main bearing plug is to close to the rear oil cooler header to get a socket on.
# 3 plug is right behind the motor mount, which I think is the plug I used.
#2 is behind the motor mount
And #1 is to close to the steering gear box.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
John D in CT
Senior User
Good stuff. Thanks guys.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
yeah i used the port right beside the oil filter on the drivers side... square plug and 1/8 npt iirc

Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
If you look at the ones Dave is talking about, I want to say the last one at the end, for the rear main cap, is where the current ATS 093 kit taps into the block (instead of using the stock sensor port). It may be close to the exhaust, I don't remember, unless there is another plug in the same general area, but higher up. The kit comes with a right-angle fitting, so its aimed up along the block.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM
LIGOOMBA
Senior User
If the 93 turbo is a stock Ford turbo unit, the turbo oil supply is where the oil pressure sensor is on a NA motor.

I ran a tee in the turbo oil supply line for a long time.
And I always had what I considered very low oil pressure at idle with a real mechanical gauge.
I moved my mechanical gauge feed from the turbo supply line down to the row of plugged ports and now have a true oil pressure reading.
And I feel a lot better about my hot idle oil pressure.

Use the square headed 1/8" pipe plugs on the drivers side.

In that picture just below the center main bearing cap, just below the oil pan lip you can see one of the plugs I am talking about.
It is to the left side of the main bearing slightly because of the angle the picture was taken at.

Look for a shiney square that the light is reflecting off of.

There is a plug just above the oil pan lip outboard from every main bearing cap, five in all.

Drivers side of the block is down in the picture.
The one for the rear main cap is way back and way out there, to close to the exhaust cross over.
If I remember right, number 4 main bearing plug is to close to the rear oil cooler header to get a socket on.
# 3 plug is right behind the motor mount, which I think is the plug I used.
#2 is behind the motor mount
And #1 is to close to the steering gear box.
After reading this article is it safe to aussume that I can use one of those plugs to take the oil pressure reading off of for a mechanical gauge?I can not get to the sending unit due to the turbo blocking it.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Yes, some of the aftermarket ATS turbos used those ports for the oil feed line instead of teeing off the stock sender location.
I want to say its the last one which Dave says is too close to the exhaust, but I can't remember off the top of my head. But any of them will work.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somewhere around here there is a way to redo your stock oil pressure "gauge" (glorified idiot light) into a true gauge....Ill see if I can find it.
Its basically an on/off switch as it stands now

Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 AM
LIGOOMBA
Senior User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Yes, some of the aftermarket ATS turbos used those ports for the oil feed line instead of teeing off the stock sender location.
I want to say its the last one which Dave says is too close to the exhaust, but I can't remember off the top of my head. But any of them will work.
Can I Tee into the oil feed for the turbo if need be ? I know getting one of those plugs off is gonna be a job !!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by maverick1701
Somewhere around here there is a way to redo your stock oil pressure "gauge" (glorified idiot light) into a true gauge....Ill see if I can find it.
Its basically an on/off switch as it stands now
Ford Oil Pressure Gauge Fix
Originally Posted by LIGOOMBA
Can I Tee into the oil feed for the turbo if need be ? I know getting one of those plugs off is gonna be a job !!
Yes you can tee into the turbo oil feed line. Pressure gauges don't use any volume, they just feel the pressure on the line. Think about grabbing a garden hose with your hand. When the water is off, you can squish the hose, when the water is on, the hose gets harder to squish. You don't use any of the water in the hose. (ok pressure gauges work a little differently, but once setup, don't change the oil volume wherever you tee them in)

I don't remember any issues getting the plug out when I put my turbo on. I probably had the exhaust crossover off at the time, might have made access easier?