300's with a Taurus or MK V111 e.fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
300's with a Taurus or MK V111 e.fan?

I'm getting ready to install either a Mk V111 fan or one from a Taurus in in truck. Has anyone done this an inline 300?

I have the Mk V111 fan hanging in my garage, a 2 speed fan that is supposed to be THE most powerful efan ever made, moving about 4500 cfm on high. But space is tight, and I may have to go with the Taurus fan, which is slightly thinner, and offset, hopefully making it possible for the installation if the Mk doesn't work.

If someone is using one of these, I'd like to hear from you.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing of value to add, but I do know that the Taurus fan seems like a popular mod on fullsizebronco.com. This is an upgrade I would like to do. Seems like it would help with the fuel economy.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
With the oem rad. there was absolutely no way the mk 8 fan would fit. Now that I have an aluminum rad., which no longer leans in toward the engine, I will have to ck it. It would probably mean having to cut on of the web supports, and I don't want to do that. Afraid the fan might one day depart from shroud, lol.

However, the Taurus fan has the same killer 2 sp motor, with smaller diameter blades (mk8 = 18", Taurus =16"), and because the motor is off set in the shroud, it may work. I will post what I find.

Supposedly, these are the most powerful fans ever made, the Taurus moving --so I have read--about 3000 cfm on high. Racers use them to cool bbc's!

I also found the premade relays on ebay and through Hollister Road.com, for about $60. Since electrical work is my short coming, I'm happy to pay rather than to string together the j.yard relays.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM
notyettoday
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a fan out of a mid 90's Cutlass on my 300. These engines tend to run awfully cool so I cant imagine the need for the most powerful fan out there, any efan should do. My truck will usually make it all the way to getting my food at the drive thru before the temperature gauge begins to creep up.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:08 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by notyettoday
I used a fan out of a mid 90's Cutlass on my 300. These engines tend to run awfully cool so I cant imagine the need for the most powerful fan out there, any efan should do. My truck will usually make it all the way to getting my food at the drive thru before the temperature gauge begins to creep up.
With most of the 300's you are correct, they tend to run cool. But I often travel remote areas of Baja in the summer. Often it is 110 or more, with the bed fully loaded and my boat on top, so having a super fan is insurance. IMO it is always better to have too much than to not have enough. Also, since the fan is controlled with two thermostatic switches, a fan that pulls more air than 'needed' will simply shut off sooner than one which moves less air. Besides amperage draw, for which I am already set up for with a 3G alternator, there is no down side to a super efficient fan.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
You can see that the mk 8 fan is just too big to fit. I would have to cut some of the web supports of the fan to allow the wtr. pmp. pulley to sit there, and that would weaken the support.

The Taurus fan is smaller, with 16" blades, and the shroud is off-set, allowing some movement to one side to dodge the pulley. The local pick you part is having a 50% off sale in Feb., so I'll pull one then for $15.

I'm also looking at the Delta current control control system for $70. It has the temp probe and everything. For $10 more I'll p/u the three LED light display so I can see inside the cab when the system is functioning, off, low, high.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Post up pictures when you are done. I am interested in this since the 300 is long and doesn't give much room.

Also, about your 3g swap, did you do a thread or writeup? I am interested in what all you did as far as the wiring.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Post up pictures when you are done. I am interested in this since the 300 is long and doesn't give much room.

Also, about your 3g swap, did you do a thread or writeup? I am interested in what all you did as far as the wiring.
Yes, I did a write up. If you do a search, there are numerous write-ups. With the fan swap, I converted from my oem 360 radiator to a Summit aluminum, so I don't know if I have more or less room than you. I certainly don't have much, and may have to cut the shroud of the fan a bit. I'll post pix of what I do. The most expensive part if the wiring. Of course I have seen online write-ups showing how to do it with relays out of the donor vehicle, so I may go that route.

I pulled two, and two v belt pulleys, and swapped them over in the j/yard, so you don't get charged extra for the pulleys. I also took them to an a.parts store, and had both tested. Keep an extra behind your seat if one goes out.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
The alt swap looks like the wiring is identical to the GM SI that I did years ago. I assume you chucked the external voltage regulator and the "Y" wiring harness? That's what it looks like anyway.

The problem I had with the GM was that the guage always read high after the swap. Not really a big deal in true operation, but annoying to someone who is a perfectionist like me. Does the 3G still read normal?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM
77h0t_r0d_wrecker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever consider running a lightweight aluminum high volume fan? I have one in my 78 mustang II (I know what you're thinking) and that thing has to weigh less than 3/4 of a lb.

Just a thought to throw out there.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by teds74ford
The alt swap looks like the wiring is identical to the GM SI that I did years ago. I assume you chucked the external voltage regulator and the "Y" wiring harness? That's what it looks like anyway.

The problem I had with the GM was that the guage always read high after the swap. Not really a big deal in true operation, but annoying to someone who is a perfectionist like me. Does the 3G still read normal?
IIRC, in some of the write-ups there is mention of something that has to go in the one line for your gauge to read correctly. Do a search.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Kick butt fan video!!!

You guys have to see/hear this. This is a link to a vid of the Mk8 fan on high speed. This is considered the most efficient fan ever made, oem or aftermarket! And it can be had for $30 in a j.yard!!!

For me, hauling loads, LA traffic, and cruising trails in Baja fully loaded with boat, etc., it makes great sense. If you buy an aftermarket controller system, you spend $100 total (with fan) for a fan that is reputed to move 4500 cfm on high, 2500 on low, or do your research and get the components from the junkyard and put a control relay system together yourself, for about $50 (fan encluded!!).

If you go to the aftermarket for a 4500 cfm fan and shroud, with controller, you'd spend around $500 easy. Moving more air means a shorter time the fan needs to stay on. The only question is whether I can make it fit with the limited space available with a 300.

Electric Fan Conversion Using the Notorious Lincoln Mark VIII Fan - FordMuscle

Scroll down and look for the vid on the right.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
I am interested, but wondering about the clearance issue as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I have had one of the mk8's hanging in my garage for a couple of years. I did not even know what it was. When I was doing the engine/radiator swap I passed on it for clearance reasons, but I'll take another look at it. That is why I was looking at the Taurus fan. I thought it would be less cumbersome to fit.

I'll take a look at the mk8 today and post what I find.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
From the tip of the w/pump pulley to the radiator I have 3". If I cut down the shroud of the mk8, at the center it is still going to be 4 1/2". Without cutting one of the web supports, there is zero chance, no matter where I move it, right, left, up or down.

But, with the offset of the Taurus fan, the motor of the fan will sit between the w/p and the p/s pulleys. Because it is a bit narrower as well, it should fit perfect. Dang, wish I could have saved the cost of a fan.

Quick Reply: 300's with a Taurus or MK V111 e.fan?