53 Grille with 56 Headlights - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 Grille with 56 Headlights

Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
53 Grille with 56 Headlights

There has been some discussion in the past about 53-55 grilles and removing the "bug-eyed" headlights. I got a XMAS card this year that had one of the nicest 53 F100 trucks that I have ever seen on it. Thought I would share...notice the 56 headlights, sweet....
My current 56 project will have a grille very similar to this.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 PM
tacson
Posting Guru
tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.
That does look good

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
fat fendered
Junior User
fat fendered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is it possible to do, i assume you would have to change air deflectors?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
There has been some discussion in the past about 53-55 grilles and removing the "bug-eyed" headlights. I got a XMAS card this year that had one of the nicest 53 F100 trucks that I have ever seen on it. Thought I would share...notice the 56 headlights, sweet....
My current 56 project will have a grille very similar to this.
I don't see the pics

| never mind, finally showed up on save!

sam

Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fat fendered View Post
Sure, it's very possible to do. In fact, it's a long standing custom treatment to give the illusion of frenched headlights without all the custom bodywork. Many, many 56 effies donated their eyeballs for such modifications over the years to all sorts of cars. The design was a direct reflection of the customs being built back in the day, and was a very popular one.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM
John55F100
Junior User
John55F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You would have to change the air deflector, at least you do with a 56 grill.

John

Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
You are correct, when moving the headlight buckets back you will have to make room for them in the wind deflectors. I'll share a little secret that I have about this mod...if you have a flat wind deflector ala 53-55 and you need an indent, get 2 cheap stainless steel bowls from your local 99 cent store (or your wife's cabinet, whatever's easiest) and cut the hole in the deflector to match the inner lip of the bowl. After test fitting, apply a bead of structural adhesive (I have never used JB Weld here but it should work as well) and press the bowl into the deflector. This will make a perfect indent for the headlight bucket and it will never rust. Not to mention that it is a very clean and cheap mod.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
i was just thinking of how to make the dish.. and never occurred to me to use small bowls!.. thank you..

Sam

Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
SCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to behold
I like the look of the headlights and thought of doing that to my 51 panel, I too never thought about the bowl Idea in the deflector. Thanks for the Idea!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
dalmeida is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very cool mod! I've got the same 53 grille on my 56. It's a stock painted grille with the optional teeth, bug eyes and all. Chroming or making some modification to the grille is been on my list. Unfortunately, I've got the 53 air deflectors as well. So to recess the headlight buckets, as it's been pointed out, they would need to be replaced or fixed. Also FYI the 53 turn signal lights are a different height and the gravel pan in the 56 has larger indentations. Not sure whether the gravel pan would work with the 53 turn signal lights without modification.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:03 PM
John55F100
Junior User
John55F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 55 came with a 56 grill and the previous installer just cut a x in the deflectors and beat them in, looks like .... well I better not say. I've got one new one still need to get the other side.

John

Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
vintage56
Elder User
vintage56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the bowl idea reminded me of this truck. complete with kitchen sink!
Mack Truck Car Hauler Project - THE H.A.M.B.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation

Just checked it out, that thing is awsome. I always liked the looks of the old Macks. Would be nice to have a scaled down version

Old 01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
michaelmilburn is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have this exact card also, my project ford is going to be designed around that look, not an identical twin but very similar, nice post!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
merc546 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think that drawing is a 53 grill using a Hagen Street Rod Frenched Headlamp Kit. Need to look at my truck but I believe the 56 has a small eyebrow over the headlamp. My friend used the kit on his 55 Panel and it looked good.

Chuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 53 Grille with 56 Headlights

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.