53 Grille with 56 Headlights - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 Grille with 56 Headlights

Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Sorry for the multiple posts but....
Once the headlight door is fit into the opening two mounting tabs must be fabricated and welded to the inside of the grille. Next the headlight bucket must be set in place...this part is much easier once the headlight door is mounted because now you have a point of reference of where/how deep to mount the bucket. There are various ways to mount the bucket, you could use tabs or you could cut a piece of metal the size of the inside of the grille section. As for which bucket to use, that all depends on the manner in which you mount the bucket. The 53 headlight bucket is wider in diameter and has a lip that folds out. This lip serves as a guide for the 53 headlight door/bezel in the stock configuration...but if you chose to mount the bucket from the rear (a lot easier this way since the opening in the front is too small) then the bucket lip may need to be trimmed so that the bucket will sit flush against your new mounting plate. However, should you have a 56 headlight bucket, the mounting flange is flat and no trimming is necessary.
I hope this clarifies things and makes believers out of those who may think that this mod is not feasible. I can elaborate on any given aspect of this mod if necessary but I think that for the majority of us this should suffice.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
thepitshop
Elder User
thepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to behold
Charlie, thank for all the pictures and the DIY explanation!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
thepitshop
Elder User
thepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to behold
I seen another mod that scotts rods did, instead of having a bulge in the panel like a `56, they added a ring, looked to me like it was about an inch wide to the back of the grill buckets.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by thepitshop View Post
I seen another mod that scotts rods did, instead of having a bulge in the panel like a `56, they added a ring, looked to me like it was about an inch wide to the back of the grill buckets.
That's interesting...I would like to see how that looked on the truck. Here in SoCal most guys go the opposite direction and move the grille back by cutting off the rear of the grille rather than adding to it. Function vs form.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
thepitshop
Elder User
Actually i just looked at the pictures i saved from their grill build, they did make and weld a band around the bucket but it was to eliminate the recess in the grill for the turn signal, OOPS i goofed up!!!, here`s the link anyway-
http://www.scottshotrods.com/Cars/Ho...pair/Index.asp

Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
Thanks for the link Gil...I am not sure what they had in mind when they added that band but one thing for sure is that it eliminates the step in the side of the grille and gives the grille a much cleaner look.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM
snook715
Senior User
snook715 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks good. i'm going to be doing this mod for sure.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
I did a rough trim on the headlight opening just to show how it is done, further trimming is necessary to get a good flush fit once the 56 headlight door is set in place. Here is a pic of the 56 door in the 53 grille, fit is close but not finished...picture for demonstration purposes only...
Any further progress on this bit of fabrication? I keep looking at my grilles trying to decide what I want to do and your mod looks interesting.

Anybody else been working on this?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Pappys53
Elder User
Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 53 f100 has a 55 grille in it. I am looking for a 53 grille. I will trade my 55 grille for it. Anyone interested send me a private message

Old 08-14-2011, 05:44 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
I just got back from Big Bear Lake at the car show there this weekend. I will take some new pics of the grille since I got it back from the chrome shop and some more of the custom wind deflectors.

BTW - here's a teaser from the show this weekend...53 COE with a Powerstroke diesel and a beautiful 56 panel on the back.

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I just got back from Big Bear Lake at the car show there this weekend. I will take some new pics of the grille since I got it back from the chrome shop and some more of the custom wind deflectors.

BTW - here's a teaser from the show this weekend...53 COE with a Powerstroke diesel and a beautiful 56 panel on the back.
Hope you're planning on sharing more pics, ecspecially of that panel and of coarse the grille

Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
Hope you're planning on sharing more pics, ecspecially of that panel and of coarse the grille
X2-post em if you've got em.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 AM
badger_hound
Elder User
badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
..53 COE with a Powerstroke diesel and a beautiful 56 panel on the back.
Awesome hauler and panel!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Okay CharlieLed, where'd you park those pictures. Seems I'm not the only one interestedlol

Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Ravenheart is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
show your pics, show your pics...!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 53 Grille with 56 Headlights

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.