1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Questions of Alternators and a Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions of Alternators and a Battery

So my battery is finally on its way out and I'm looking at a Braille Endurance battery either Group 48: Braille Battery USA - B7548 or Group 49: Braille Battery USA - B10049 if I can get it to fit.
The problem I have is that I'm 80-90% sure that these are AGM batteries and I wanted to know if they are ok to use in the truck. I'm hoping for a1000 CCA battery and this is the closest to that but again not sure about the AGM charging/safety issue.

Another question is I'm looking to also upgrade the alternator from 95 amps to 200 amps but there seems to be two case styles that fit my truck one being the Ford 3G case and the Ford 6G case.
So the question there is which case should I use for my truck if it matters?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just reread what I posted and thought I should clarify what my questions were.

1. Are AGM type batteries safe to use in the truck without modifications?
2. What case size of alternator should choose 3G or 6G?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybris
I just reread what I posted and thought I should clarify what my questions were.

1. Are AGM type batteries safe to use in the truck without modifications?
2. What case size of alternator should choose 3G or 6G?
for $250-300 clams...those batteries should have hot fresh coffee waiting for you every morning

can't address the alternator size (#2)
according to their web site the AGM batteries should be a direct replacement. Braille Battery USA - Why use an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery?
my question is , maybe yours ultimately too, is can these batteries sustain the constant recharging of the alternator? presuming you're going into a daily driver....I get the impression these batteries are used in race applications (drag strip) where weight is down to bare minimum, meaning no alternator at all, and recharging is done between races via a outside source (battery charger).

by the same token, under the applications tab, it seem that they can be for daily driving Braille Battery USA - B7548 This is a bit confusing... is the only thing colored were the sun and snow flake??...everything other "option" was shadowed gray?? does the colored options indicate its best application fit and gray do not apply?? or is the colored is best strength feature and the gray are reasonable secondary strength/fit??

this might be better answered at Braille themselves?? IDK
sorry not much help...didn't mean to muddy the water

Last edited by enriched&beyound; 01-15-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-15-2011, 06:59 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First the 3G is the alternator for the 5.4L gas motor. The 6G is the diesel motor alternator.
From; http://www.alternatorparts.com/Ford_3G.htm
"The 3G series alternator was mostly used from 1992-2000 with some vehicles such as the E series van using the 3G up to 2010. If you are not sure if your Ford Family of vehicles has the 3G call 616-606-5045 and we can look you vehicle up in our application guide and tell you what series alternator you have.
99 and newer Ford Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L, 6.7L Owners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel use the 6G small case alternator"

From the Braille Battery site;

"Why use an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery?

An AGM battery utilizes a fine fiber glass material separator between the lead plates within the battery. The AGM design is also highly resistant to vibration deterioration. AGM batteries, are also called starved electrolyte they operate with no maintenance and can be installed in various ways (except upside down) without spill and provide outstanding power per dollar invested. AGM batteries are commonly interchanged with traditional flooded lead acid batteries as the charge/discharge profile of these batteries are similar. AGM batteries have low internal resistance and a very low self-discharge rate (from 1% to 3% per month). So they can sit unused for much longer periods without charging. "

It looks like the AGM battery is good to go in your truck.