George, 2006 F-150 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Gdude54
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George, 2006 F-150 4.6

Hi, Im new to the site and hope I am in the right spot to get some comments or advice, Earler this week I went to change oil, I drained the oil and removed the filter. When I went to get the new filter I found that I had one or two for all my vehicals except the truck, so i ran to the parts house and bought two of them and when I got home it was late so I decided to finish in the morning. The next morning my wife decided to take the kids to school in my truck, She ended up driving about 4 miles before the truck shut down. After an hour of freaking out I towed it from about a mile away. I cleanded off the oil filter area and installed the filter and filled it with oil, after a few prayers I started it up. It is not making noise but when I drive it and come up to a stop the CHECK GAUGES comes on and the oil pressure drops until I give it a little gas the pressure comes right back up, but it does not make any knocking or clicking noise. Could this be a faulty sender or could the oil pump taken a dump? I read in the manual that when you install a new oil pump that you need to prime it, Could I have lost the prime? It looks like a big deal to replace the oil pump compared to the old engines.Please advse and comment, Thanks George

Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I can't help you with your specific question but maybe my method of reminding myself of something like this might be helpful next time............

In this situation even though I'm the only driver of my vehicles I'd have placed the new (boxed) oil filter and oil bottles on the drivers seat. Overnight I tend to disremember things----jumping into the van and roaring off is common for me so this could have happened very easily to me as well.

Since you have multiple drivers maybe a note on the steering wheel would help? Anything that causes a question to be asked before an action is begun is useful.

I sure hope your truck isn't damaged too severely though----that's one tough break!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdude54
Hi, Im new to the site and hope I am in the right spot to get some comments or advice, Earler this week I went to change oil, I drained the oil and removed the filter. When I went to get the new filter I found that I had one or two for all my vehicals except the truck, so i ran to the parts house and bought two of them and when I got home it was late so I decided to finish in the morning. The next morning my wife decided to take the kids to school in my truck, She ended up driving about 4 miles before the truck shut down. After an hour of freaking out I towed it from about a mile away. I cleanded off the oil filter area and installed the filter and filled it with oil, after a few prayers I started it up. It is not making noise but when I drive it and come up to a stop the CHECK GAUGES comes on and the oil pressure drops until I give it a little gas the pressure comes right back up, but it does not make any knocking or clicking noise. Could this be a faulty sender or could the oil pump taken a dump? I read in the manual that when you install a new oil pump that you need to prime it, Could I have lost the prime? It looks like a big deal to replace the oil pump compared to the old engines.Please advse and comment, Thanks George
I'll bet your oil pump pickup is partially clogged with a "chia-pet" of nylon shavings from the chain guides. You really need to pull the timing cover, cam covers and oil pan to inspect it. IMO-you've got a mess there that'll need some expensive repairs.
JL

Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed^ with JL

I feel your pain!
Odds are NOT in your favor to really salvage that engine.....not that it can't be done. Just not good to run that long without oil. but you know that, not trying to rub salt in the wound here. damage done, even in that short time is....well significant, to say the least. Galling and scoring will be everywhere. especially after a all night drain.

Might be better to get a J/Y engine and rebuild it.... or at least get one that runs better for the dollars spent.