Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

taxes and considerations

Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taxes and considerations

Fellas,
If i got the way i want, it will be without, yes without, a turbo. My question is if i go with stans headers, what kind of power i could expect. How much for what gain? know what i mean? If i go with the headers, its like 550, what kind of power increase could i see?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
You are bound to get some improvement....What kind of headers are they?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
stans-headers.com part number 269, looks good, just wanted to know if anyone knew of someone that installed them.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i wouldn't waste your time with 'em wreck.
from searching here and obn,they don't do much.
your way ahead buying a used turbo,or saving towards one.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
with taxes coming i can buy four new turbos, it isnt the money. i just didnt want to turbo the truck. so much work to go into it for what like 50-60hp? from what i gather, the claims of banks kicking out 50% more power is a bit of a stretch. to say i can get 270hp the day i install it is not likely. thoughts there?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ur and idot if u have the money to turbo and dont turbo it ur not going to get the same bang for ur buck its forced induction that they way to buid power a motor is a air pump plain and simple the factory pump can all ready over fuel the motor so what u need is more air ur intake is going to give u the air flow for what u need and i think the banks number is at the fly wheel not the rear wheels

Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Unfortunately, I only know of one guy running headers, he is in powel river and is happy with them but the dyno numbers didn't seem to show much when he put it on the rollers.

I can tell you with certainty that you won't get the improvement from headers that you can get from a turbo kit. So how much power are you looking for?

To give you an idea of the difference I got out of my truck, my top speed before a turbo on a 10% hill was about 75kph (that was with 4.10 gears in 3rd or 3.08s in 2nd gear giving the same results). After the turbo I could sustain 110 on the same hill.
My turbo rarely sees 10 PSI but when I do press the pedal all the way and hold on it can be quite a ride.

But turbos have their drawbacks. Mine has a lot of lag and is likely a little worn out by now. Newer wastegated turbos might not be as easy to get around. Mine allows me to access all the glow plugs and injection system without removing anything but the air box.

I'd like to suggest a "torque cam" but those aren't much more known than the headers. More guys are running them, but dyno numbers to back up the impressions and claims are slow in coming. All I can say is a turbo is proven to give results, the rest are not as known.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 AM
frodfreak
Senior User
im with u bro i really thought about getting a used turbo setup but scratched that i liked the nonturbo idea. i would have bought my buddys 94 instead of my 93, but those headers are sexy i would love if i had them regardless the power + or -

wat is the opening at the end???

Old 01-13-2011, 10:06 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wreckinball
with taxes coming i can buy four new turbos, it isnt the money. i just didnt want to turbo the truck. so much work to go into it for what like 50-60hp? from what i gather, the claims of banks kicking out 50% more power is a bit of a stretch. to say i can get 270hp the day i install it is not likely. thoughts there?
Considering that you have no experience with the banks turbo, I wouldn't be calling banks a liar. If you have never driven a banks turbo'd truck, you have no ground to say it wont get the power banks claimed. I haven't taken my truck to a dyno (waste of time) but I don't need a chart to prove that I have an extra 80hp. If you get to 60mph in 6 seconds after putting those headers on, please tell me. Now since the turbo went on my truck, there was a substantial gain in power-it didn't feel at all like is was the same engine. I haven't even pushed my truck hard yet (towing 9K up 20% grades) and I've seen 11psi. Now if you seriously think that your engine will be any where near a banks turbo'd truck with those headers, I don't know where you been bud? Sure it might help, and its not a bad idea but you will get more power, much more torque, and better mpg's with a turbo.
Don't mean to sound harsh here, but thats the simple truth, snapon.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
michbol
Senior User
From what I have read the only reason headers were invented was to cut down on weight for race cars as opposed to iron exhaust manifolds. They are cool and everything but I wouldn't expect any hp gains from them. I watched some dudes do a build up on a ford 460 for a Bronco project (power block) and they used the stock iron manifolds because there would be no power gain at low speed and low RPM and the difference in weight would have no effect on the truck's performance. IMO headers on one of our rigs would be for cosmetic purposes only.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
I'm also curious about the headers, they had crossed my mind a while ago and then i said "naww, I'll just get a turbo!". But if I end up stuffing a 6.9 into my '65, I'd rather not hack the firewall just to fit a turbo!
So I've been thinking along the lines of free-flowing headers and maybe customizing a ProCharger to fit...those suckers are belt-driven.
ProCharger Supchargers for Trucks
Just a link to the page, no systems designed for use in and Old Body Style truck, but just giving food for thought.
Wreck, are you thinking of a supercharger or something also?
I would think some type of supercharger + free-flowing headers would make for a wicked setup!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Although there are many other factors to take into consideration look at it this way.

On a NA motor at close to sea level there is 14 PSI of pressure putting air into the cylinders.

Now if you were to install a turbo and run 14 PSI pressure, that would be on top of the 14 PSI of atmospheric air pressure.

So you are putting twice as much air in the cylinder.

Without any of the other considerations taken into account, you can now inject twice as much fuel and burn it as cleanly as you could when the engine was NA.

So without the actual air flow and temperature considerations, in theory you would be able to double the HP numbers.

Where a turbo really shines is altitude.

Air Pressure at Various Altitudes
•Sea level - 14.7 psi
•10,000 feet - 10.2 psi
•20,000 feet - 6.4 psi
•30,000 feet - 4.3 psi
•40,000 feet - 2.7 psi
•50,000 feet - 1.6 psi

A turbo running 14 PSI boost would turn that 10,000 foot elevation 10.2 PSI into 24.2 PSI, or another way it would still run better than a NA engine at sea level.

Banks 50% power claim, not out of the question by any means.

Headers, if everything is right they will help scavenge the exhaust out of the cylinder which does leave more room for fresh air.
But at best you may pick up 5 or maybe even 10 HP at the crank.
5% would be 9.25 HP.
And I doubt headers would actually give you 5% on a diesel engine, the RPM's are to low for that much increase in scavenging.

Lets say the turbo only gives you 30% which would be 55.5 HP at the crank.

So now you are looking at turning a 185 HP engine into a 194 HP engine with headers or a 240.5 HP turbo engine.

Next figure the Power Stroke engine.
1994.5 = 215 HP
1997 = 225 HP

And the torque numbers from Ford,
1994 NA 7.3 had 338 ft lbs
1994 turbo had 388 ft lbs
1994 Stroke had 450 ft lbs
1997 Stroke had 480 ft lbs

So NA to NA headers to turbo, no possible way they can be close to even in power returns.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Wow that wasnt the intent of the post, crap fellas, you think i would assume that headers would equal a turbo? where did i mention this? When? Crap! I was merely asking what the thoughts were and i appreciate the conversation. The owner of the company Stan cant give me numbers so i am ditching the idea. The old style banks setup is still at the JY but there is no DP or crossover. Is that a huge deal? the JY only wants 100 for it because it looks dirty. There is zero shaft play side to side or axial. rotates freely and looks pretty good to me. The truck ate the ditch and looks like it sat deep in water. There is no engine damage that can be seen and nothing too bad on the turbo. Anything i can worry about or just jump in and buy it? Again, apologies for any confusion with the post, hope it is more clear. Thanks 100 million % to dave for posting that info as well!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 PM
David85
Lead Driver
I think they are worth that much even for a bare turbocharger core. I had to make my own cross over and down pipes when I paid $250 for my 088 ATS kit a few years ago.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Well then i will make the call and even if it isnt going to work i can resell. When i replace the IP, can i just get the 93+ turbo IP or will it make that big of a diff? I know they will bolt up fine, just dont want to overfuel if it takes a few weeks to build the turbo in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: taxes and considerations