1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Old Battery, 86 F250, Snowplow, Tired of Charging it up

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
justjake
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Battery, 86 F250, Snowplow, Tired of Charging it up

1986 F250 4x4 manual 302 EFI

Now that my new gas tank and in tank fuel pump are installed, I probably should fork out money for a new battery.
I bought this truck with a plow included in the price. The previous owner put in a marine battery. When I asked him about it he said that the plow pump takes so much juice the regular battery would not be able to keep up.
I've been driving this thing around the farm now for a year & 1/2. I have to keep putting a charger on it.
Today I plowed the lane for the first time this winter. When shut the truck off the battery was dead & it would not restart the truck.
I charged it & got it running again.
I put a meter on it & at idle it is showing about 14.2 volts or so.
When I rev the engine there is no change in voltage.
When I run the snowplow pump, the voltage drops to 12 volts or less.

Was the PO right that marine batteries are best for this stuff.
Or should I just get a stock battery?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,676 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Marine batteries are not the best for starting and quick high amp draws like your plow. They are for long term slow drains, with some capacity for starting. A regular battery is made for starting and short high amp draws and would be better for your application. Get the biggest one they sell.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
justjake
Freshman User
Ok Thanks!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:50 AM
cnice_37
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you're running electric over hydraulic?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:30 AM
justjake
Freshman User
so you're running electric over hydraulic?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question.

An electric powered pump builds pressure to move the pistons that raise & angle the plow.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run a never start battery from wal mart and I do commercial plowing with mine, stock alternator. No problems when everythings working. If anything I'd like to upgrade the charging system... A bigger/better battery will discharge eventually with the stock alternator if you are using more than the alt can replentish.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
An easy alternator upgrade (130A 3G) should be able to keep up with your pump.
It's likely that your current alternator only puts out 70A or so at its best.

Two batteries in parallel would give you more reserve.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 AM
justjake
Freshman User
I only plow for myself, about a 1/4 mile lane & around the property.
Last year we had a big snow & midway busting through the drifts, I stalled out.
I had to pull a good battery out of something else, load it on my kids plastic sled & wade through 4' snow to the front of the truck to jump start.

ArdWrknTrk,
If I did this for money, I'd take your advice, but I mostly plow so my wife can get the heck out...

Oh, Hi Honey

Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Like Franklin said, get the biggest battery they sell and you shouldnt have any problems if your alt is working properly. If you are in a spot where you need to constantly lift and angle the plow for a long time of course thats the biggest strain on the battery, but I do a lot of cul-de-sacs and Mine works fine.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The group 65 for the later models/diesels should do you well. The alternator upgrade is easy and much worth it.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by justjake
I mostly plow so my wife can get the heck out...

Oh, Hi Honey

You can get an alternator from another Ford product with electric fans for $25 at any junkyard.
Maybe an hour (or two) to swap.

How much is it worth to you NOT have to go through this wading through 4' of snow with the kid's sled again ?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM
cnice_37
Junior User
Originally Posted by justjake
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question.

An electric powered pump builds pressure to move the pistons that raise & angle the plow.
Electric over hydraulic describes your setup. The pump is driven off of electric rather than belt driven in a conventional setup. My F250 of the same year runs all hydraulic.

I think your best option is an alternator upgrade.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by cnice_37
Electric over hydraulic describes your setup. The pump is driven off of electric rather than belt driven in a conventional setup.
Or a PTO....

Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM
oddshot
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Marine batteries are not the best for starting and quick high amp draws like your plow. They are for long term slow drains, with some capacity for starting. A regular battery is made for starting and short high amp draws and would be better for your application. Get the biggest one they sell.
All True ... The primary purpose of an automotive battery is to serve as a "storehouse" of electrical power for operating the starter motor and to meet electrical demands that exceed generator (alternator) output ... the quoted explanation of the difference between a deep storage "Marine" battery and an automotive SLI (Starter, Lights, Ignition) battery is EXCELLENT.

THIS HAVING BEEN SAID ... if your alternator output falls WAY short of providing the electrical power you need to operate your plow ... it will NEVER have enough output to re-charge the battery (ANY BATTERY) sufficiently for the next starter operation.

You could buy the biggest battery available ... but it could be like needing more water out of your well ... and you try to fix it by digging a bigger hole ... when the source of the water is not sufficient to meet your need.

Meaning you are probably gonna have to keep charging your battery ... unless you replace your alternator with one having sufficient output to do a better job of meeting your electrical needs AND charging your battery at the same time.

Without seeing the amp rating of your plow motor I would guess that you need an alternator with a MINIMUM of 100 to 150 amp output to keep up with the demands you are placing on it.

For more information go here:

http://new.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=54628

Or do a google search of the words "snow plow alternator size"

Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
In my previos post I said my stock alt kept up fine with the load of the plow but I didnt notice you have a FI truck wich uses more electricity than mine. I believe a 100amp alt would be plenty for EFI and a plow, my 70amp alt is enough for my carbed truck. I also run a 12v salt spreader. A friend got this: JEGS 1-Wire Ford Alternators - JEGS and hasnt had any problems with it.
Something else you could do is add an aftermarket voltmeter, monitor it while plowing and if it gets low run the truck at fast idle to recharge it.

Quick Reply: Old Battery, 86 F250, Snowplow, Tired of Charging it up