6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

tire pressure sensors going off

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Enviroguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texas_21v
Enviroguy,

I experienced the same symptoms you have described. On long trips, where the wife and kids would start charging a tablet and game devices, I would sometimes experience a "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault". Never a problem any other time. I too noticed that the range of the key fob was drastically reduced around the same time. I took it in to the dealer one time and we dug around for a while trying to figure out a root cause. We tried to see if the TPMS sensor was somehow overloading the CAN-BUS, causing an issue with the key fob and remote start reception, but that did not appear to be the case. Nothing ever came out of the investigation as it would clear itself after a while and never occurred around town as I don't typically charge anything other than 1 phone. All total, I would say I experienced it 4 separate times. Nice side effect of installing my H&S is I finally just turned all TPMS off as it was more trouble than it was worth.
The annoying thing for me is it occurs all the freaking time. I spend roughly 6-8hrs a day in the truck for work so I'm constantly plugged in with my Wilson sleek booster and cell phone since I'm also on the phone often for work. I bought the truck with plans to use it as my office in the field and now I'm beginning to regret it since I need the outlets for work and am being told by Ford that "some" devices when charged create RFI. I think it's crap since all my devices create RFI that interfere.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 AM
98woody
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
is there a way to eliminate the TPMS??? I will be running 2 sets summer and winter tires I routinely rotate I want to deal with this crap

Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,210 Posts
Originally Posted by 98woody
is there a way to eliminate the TPMS??? I will be running 2 sets summer and winter tires I routinely rotate I want to deal with this crap
Sure buy an H&S Street tuner and turn the TPMS off .

I tried to duplicate charging three phones and three tablets in the truck last night. I couldn't get it to duplicate the problem. I didn't have time to take a long drive, but I'll keep trying.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 98woody
TPMS is here to stay until they design something better.

Or you can take Savage's advice and can solve the problem in a few minutes with a tuner but tuning comes with risk.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
AlexWV
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually don't mind TPMS if it behaves itself.

There are three big shortcomings in the TPMS for this truck, IMO.
1) It doesn't tell you which tire is low.
2) You can't adjust it if you don't want to run, say, 80psi in the rear.
3) The PITA retraining procedure.

I solved items (2) and (3) by having a dealer set the the rear threshold to be the same as the front. The dealer where I bought the truck wouldn't do it despite my escalating the thing all the way to the manager. A Ford truck-only dealer did it but it took some convincing.

Anyway, now it doesn't bother me anymore and since it doesn't tell me which tire is low, I don't retrain it when I rotate the tires.

I have a tuner and have not turned the TPMS off since now it basically stays quiet unless I actually have a flat which I did once and it was a nice thing to have when that happened; the flat tire still had lots of air in it by the time I pulled over.

I haven't had the issue caused by charging things but the only thing I charge is my phone.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Thom12
Senior User
I would check to see how many of the devices you are charging have the blue tooth enabled. Sounds like something (transmitter) is jamming or too many transmitters for the truck to process. Just a guess.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Check your spare. I fought w light for a week before I lowered spare and sure enough it only had 40psi.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
Originally Posted by ForemanES
Check your spare. I fought w light for a week before I lowered spare and sure enough it only had 40psi.
I was thinking that also, but the manual says that only the road tires have a sensor. If the manual is wrong, I would like to know. I had this same problem with my wife's car ,,,, it does have a sensor on the spare.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM
98woody
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
someone said you can take all 5 sensors and mount them in the spare???? If I runa tuner I loose my factory engine warranty right??

Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Enviroguy
New User
Originally Posted by Thom12
I would check to see how many of the devices you are charging have the blue tooth enabled. Sounds like something (transmitter) is jamming or too many transmitters for the truck to process. Just a guess.
It seems to me the blue tooth doesn't affect it. I've tried it with my iPod nano and it still faults out.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 AM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Enviroguy
What's the message you're getting? If it's "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" then that means you have a communication error. Either the sensor in your tire is dead, or your TPMS module is getting interference and cannot connect to the tire sensors (I'm having this issue).

I just spent the better part of my day at the dealership trouble shooting my "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault". My key FOB also doesn't work well when ever I get this message. We figured out that my accessories that I have charging in my power outlets in the truck are causing RFI (radio frequency interference). Ford does not have a fix for this other than "don't charge anything in the truck".
BINGO -
I had an Iphone 4 with the ATT charger that I've ran in the truck since I bought it in 2011 - no problems.
5 months ago, I upgraded to an Iphone 5 and it had a new charging cord. I had a a dual port USB adaptor that I plugged in and used it to charge the Iphone. I started having a problem with my FOB not working worth a crap, and getting a Tire Pressure Sensor Fault problem.
I changed the batteries on the FOB without any changes, still didn't work unless I was standing next to the truck.
I stumbled across this thread and decided to pull the adaptor - problem solved. The FOB works like it did when I bought the truck, I can remote start if from my office, and my truck at the far side of the facility. The Tire Pressure Sensor Fault is gone too.
I liked the adapter since I could plug two items into it to charge - like my phone and my aircard or iPad, but its not worth it.
I may try a different adapter since the original one with my Iphone 4 worked without any issues.
BTW I've always used the port on the passenger side of the dash.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowSVT
BINGO -
I had an Iphone 4 with the ATT charger that I've ran in the truck since I bought it in 2011 - no problems.
5 months ago, I upgraded to an Iphone 5 and it had a new charging cord. I had a a dual port USB adaptor that I plugged in and used it to charge the Iphone. I started having a problem with my FOB not working worth a crap, and getting a Tire Pressure Sensor Fault problem.
I changed the batteries on the FOB without any changes, still didn't work unless I was standing next to the truck.
I stumbled across this thread and decided to pull the adaptor - problem solved. The FOB works like it did when I bought the truck, I can remote start if from my office, and my truck at the far side of the facility. The Tire Pressure Sensor Fault is gone too.
I liked the adapter since I could plug two items into it to charge - like my phone and my aircard or iPad, but its not worth it.
I may try a different adapter since the original one with my Iphone 4 worked without any issues.
BTW I've always used the port on the passenger side of the dash.
I use a dual adapter too. its in the center console.. I didn't see the wire routing notch in the front right for over a year!..
no issues with remote start or TPMS

Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
It is my understanding that the threshold for the TPMS sensors is set at 75% of the recommended 65psi front and 80psi rear pressures. I like to run my rears lower than my fronts when unloaded so I retrained the system and told it that the fronts were in the rear and the rears in the front. I aired down to 80% of recommended and after a few days the light came on so I went to 85% which puts me at 68psi for the front tires and 55psi for the rears and have not had the light come.

Per Michelin and my actual axle weights I can go even lower without safety issues.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM
carpbob
Junior User
I think the little book in the glove box states if tires rotated you must reprogram them.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpbob
I think the little book in the glove box states if tires rotated you must reprogram them.
I've rotated mine twice since I bought the truck and they pick up the new location automatically. This worked for me but I know it hasn't worked for others and they have had to go through the reprogramming procedure.

Quick Reply: tire pressure sensors going off