1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

BROKE DOWN ON THE HIGHWAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
T...The FPR is a return to the tank ,if clogged it will raise pressure . It may make the truck miss due to that is how the fuel system removes the air ... If it gets clogged enough ,the truck may start to miss a bit due to ariation in the fuel...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
fordboyoffroad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you clamps tight on your full pump it could be suckin air

Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
The problem seems to be intermittent ...Usually that is electrical ...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Good points Rick.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM
tlbranth
Cross-Country
My son is having almost identical trouble with his '96. Is it really possible for a crank position sensor to fail intermittently?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tlbranth
My son is having almost identical trouble with his '96. Is it really possible for a crank position sensor to fail intermittently?
Is it setting a CEL?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
morson82
Freshman User
here is the total history:

1. this issue has never happened in the 13 years I have owned this truck: last week I had just finished replacing the injector sleeves, injector o-rings and glow plugs on the RIGHT head due to a snapped gp. I also replaced the fuel pump and put new hoses on it and the fuel canister, new oil pressure sensor. I broke the fuel filter restriction sensor and just put a plug in it for now.

2. ran great afterwards....for a day. I took the truck to the bank and it started cutting out real bad, like half the engine was not firing. It died and I found that the LEFT rear injector/gp connector had melted. I was able to miggy-fig the connector and get the truck home. I ordered a complete set of 4 connector pigtails and gastkets.

3. while moving my truck to the garage to repair/replace the connectors and gaskets, it began running extremely rough and the CEL came on. I figured it had to be due to the melted connector and went about doing the repairs. This is the first time in 13 years that this truck ran rough and that the CEL illuminated.

4. I was very careful about rewiring the connectors, matching the pigtails to the original harness, double and triple checked and then I soldered the wires together, coated them with dielectric goop and then shrink wrapped them, wrapped them with electrical tape several times.. I chose only to change the left gasket due to the impending snow storms this weekend in New England. Once everything was finished, I started the truck and it still ran very rough and loud. I disconnected the batteries to try and reset things, but that did not work. I then drove to Advanced Auto to use their scanner to see what tripped the CEL. The truck ran rough the entire drive over. While slowing down for a turn the idling seemed louder than usual and the engine seemed to do a lot more of that "chugging" when you slow down. I got to the parts store and got their scanner and there were no codes....WTF!!! I started the truck and it ran fine, smooth idle no weird sounds. I drove it home and it ran and sounded great...lots of power, no issues. Drove the truck to work yesterday morning, a 48 mile round trip, no issues. Got home and plowed a couple driveways and it ran great.

4. I started the truck this am (no issue, fired right up) to go to work and it ran very rough again. I let it warm up for about 15 minutes and when I got in the truck I saw that the CEL was on and it was still running rough. I tured the truck off and restarted it and it ran normal and no CEL. I got about 20 miles into my journey and the truck started cutting in and out on the highway. I feathered the gas and it would go for several seconds and then just keep cutting in and out for several minutes and then finally died. Parked on the side of the highway (5:30am and dark as hell) I get the truck to fire up I wait about 25 seconds and it seems fine...I drive about a mile and she dies again. I get a flashlight and check the harness connectors and all seem fine, not extremely hot and not melted. I open the fuel canister and its full. It definately seems like a fuel issue. When I try and start it there is absolutely no smoke coming from the tailpipe. I sat there for about 10 minutes trying to start it and then it started and I drove the short distance to work.

5. I get out of work and the truck fires right up, runs fine and smooth. I start my drive home, putting my wife on notice, and all seems fine until about 10 miles into the trip home. Again the truck starts cutting in and out and seems starved for fuel. I feather the gas and keep it going as far as I can, then she dies. I get out and check the fuel canister and its full of fuel. I try and use a paperclip to see if anything is blocking the screen in the canister. I try and the truck fires up...runs fine for 2.5 miles, I feather it and then she ultimately dies. This happened again, I pulled the truck into a business entrance and that was where she DIED! I could not get her running again. I had the wife get me a CPS and replaced it, but it did not work....Had a friend pull me the 6 miles home because the tow company refused to tow my truck, via my insurance coverage, with a plow on it unless I paid then $200.00..cash....needless to say I told them to go and crap in their hat! I'm completely beside myself on this and do not know where to go from here....

I don't think that this is a result of my harness/gasket job due to it starting before I touched any of it........

Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Parts store scanners won't read codes on these trucks. I'm getting out of the way and let Rick help you more. He's smarter than me..

edit: He's probably gonna say got to get the codes read, it sounds like elec. to me too as you still have a full fuel bowl. Whatever that code is sure would help things out.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
tlbranth
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Action4478
Is it setting a CEL?
No, check engine light never came on. Like Morson82, he replaced the fuel pump (it was leaking from the weep hole) and cleaned out the fuel canister & replaced the filter. It's running fine at the moment but this morning it would hardly run after going a couple of miles. He had a mechanic friend check it out a couple of weeks ago and he said it passed all the tests. I assume he hooked up a code reader.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
If it was me I would change out the other side UVC gasket. Sometimes those burnt pins are really hard to see, use a magifine glass. But, I would still change it out to rule that possibility out.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
If it was me I would change out the other side UVC gasket. Sometimes those burnt pins are really hard to see, use a magifine glass. But, I would still change it out to rule that possibility out.
I would too unless you can get the code .Sometimes they become partly unclipped under the cover too..

Unplug the ICP sensor too, look for oil seeping from it . This won't usually cause a no start but it is worth checking

Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
morson82
Freshman User
I forgot to mention in the time line that I had also replaced the ICP when I worked on the right head.......Tried to start her this morning and she turned over, but would not fire off....no smoke of any kind coming out of the exhaust????? Help...we have 6-12 more inches of sone on its way and I need to have her up and running!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
morson82
Freshman User
well...i have decided to let the professional take over. Will have the truck towed to the diesel shop and let them take over.....thanks for mall the input guys....will surely let you know what the outcome is.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
ejbranth
New User
similar problem

New to the forum but this sounds similar to a problem im having. Excuse my ignorance as I don't know what all of the abbreviations mean. I have a 96 f250 7.3L. ran rough after a cold start and was almost bucking, reving up and down and very little power, then it just died. No CEL or any other lights. also cant get a code. replaced lift pump and fuel filter as well as thoroughly cleaning the screen. fuel filter seemed extra dirty. I replaced those items because i had significant leaks from both and thought it was maybe a fuel pressure problem. The problem persisted but only immediately after a cold start. This time i replaced the CPS. I am still having the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any advice, thanks...

Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ejbranth
New to the forum but this sounds similar to a problem im having. Excuse my ignorance as I don't know what all of the abbreviations mean. I have a 96 f250 7.3L. ran rough after a cold start and was almost bucking, reving up and down and very little power, then it just died. No CEL or any other lights. also cant get a code. replaced lift pump and fuel filter as well as thoroughly cleaning the screen. fuel filter seemed extra dirty. I replaced those items because i had significant leaks from both and thought it was maybe a fuel pressure problem. The problem persisted but only immediately after a cold start. This time i replaced the CPS. I am still having the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any advice, thanks...
Does the WTS (wait to start light) come on when you first turn the key?

Quick Reply: BROKE DOWN ON THE HIGHWAY!!