1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OK, so what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
markthompson999
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
I GUESS YOU DON'T LIKE MINE THEN ???? LOL LIKE I CARE !!!!!
lol I LOVE your truck Fred, but you're right - I wouldn't have chosen that colour! And to me, that's what this is all about - building the truck YOU want and not building it because you think other people are going to like it. You like yellow, I don't - and that's ok! It's just our own personal preferences - if you had talked to me before you painted your truck and I told you I didn't like yellow, would it have stopped you? Of course not! And that's the way it should be

Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I get caught up in the details of the build more so than the paint. Usually at a show or cruise in I'm drawn to the build in progress vehicles since construction details are more obvious. I always enjoy any fabrication that is just a little different whether it's primered or painted. I've always believed that if the car/truck has the "Look" it doesn't matter whether it's painted or not.

Since my goal is to be on the road this year, I guess it will come down to whether I can cure my darkside tendencies to change every little thing that I touch on my truck.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
sorry panelford that is not my truck,i wish it was....one day if i ever paint my truck it will be close to that color...pink and black?????why not Drewsky....and that looks great Dale

Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
sorry panelford that is not my truck,i wish it was....one day if i ever paint my truck it will be close to that color...pink and black?????why not Drewsky....and that looks great Dale
Pink huh?

If you want magazine coverage, pink will do it!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For whatever it's worth, here's my two cents. I considered a flat finish for my truck, but I felt it would have an unfinished look. Like I was hiding something and just rushed to the end. After doing most of the body work myself, I had mine painted by a local shop. I asked for a basic "driver" paint job. I'm very happy with the results. While it's not nor will it ever be a show truck, it looks finished and because it was inexpensive, I don't care if it gets road rash. Maybe this will help you decide. Picture yourself on the side of the road seeing your truck comming down the street, would you be disappointed if it had an unfinished look?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
I GUESS YOU DON'T LIKE MINE THEN ???? LOL LIKE I CARE !!!!!
Let me know whenever you're ready to get rid of that ugly thing!! I'll be more than glad to pick it up and help you with that.

About the finish, I've thought of getting a candy red on mine, but then I'd have to carry some kind of padding everywhere if I wanted to use it as a daily driver and park anywhere.

I think something in the middle could work, anyway "she's got the looks"

Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
solid

A solid color is easy to touch up. Drew ask your kid what there favorite color cause thats who will be driving it .LOL I remembered that along time ago my x- wife said she hated a yellow car. SO THERE YOU GO !!!! true story but i didn't remember this till i already was on my way. LOL luv my yeller feller even more.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
I think suede is a awesome look and its easy to take care of. In the future if you plan to change it to a trailer queen heck just another coat of paint right.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:01 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Paint ?

Now Drewski you got me a thinkin. I'm kinda like you, Fix um up all nice an pretty like and some yayhoo comes along and dings the crap out of it. Maybe I should do just what you are thinking. Even patina would be nice.

GO FOR IT - It's yurs do watcha want.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nordvik72
I think suede is a awesome look and its easy to take care of. In the future if you plan to change it to a trailer queen heck just another coat of paint right.
yeah,,,,, shiny over suede i was planning to do tat

Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 48 Steel
Now Drewski you got me a thinkin. I'm kinda like you, Fix um up all nice an pretty like and some yayhoo comes along and dings the crap out of it.
If you are worried about parking lot dings just do what I'm doing. Build a 4x4! Someone will really have to try and mess up my stuff with as high as the body sits. I'm building my running boards out of 10 gauge steel. I want to see some moron try and ding those!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
I guess one of the reasons that I am leaning toward suede is that I have made so many modifications to the truck that I kinda want to wait and see if I have any problems with any of them. And since I'm prone to think up new stuff all the time I may want to make other changes after I drive it a while. It would be a lot easier to make changes while still suede as opposed to final paint. If it were a stock truck I probably wouldn't think twice about doing the shiny paint thing.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Damm I love to read this stuff ....go for the shine then you can blend in with the ..what do you guy's call em??trailer queens...show toy's...your gonna drive it ..it'll get scarred soon enough...suede sounds ..ok...but then I'm still watering the moss on my truck..while you figger out this... I am gonna take the yellow monster out for a run ..see you on the road EH!!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
So what do you think.........shiny paint or suede? And yes I know, it's my truck, do what I want.
Well bcause you asked...
My opinion ... It certianly would look Fine with a nice Shine.....

your idea of running it for a while to see if any problem pop up is a good one as well.

But In the end I, think it must SHINE

The above reflects the sole opinion of its author and only its author, this in no way is to detract or diminish the quality or appearance from any vehicle that does not shine

Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Gloss or Suede? To me the trucks and Panels are the soul of the owner, is there really any one choice better than the other? When I look at your trucks I get so much joy of seeing the personalities you have put into them. Good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: OK, so what do you think?