Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel tank help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank help!!

So for some reason the PO removed my rear tank. I don't know if it's because of the texas style bumper/hitch or what. I want to add it back into the truck, cause having more then 16 gallons on board would be great.

This is what I'm looking at:

Those two lines that are zipped tied to the frame are the return/feed lines. That plug kinda just hanging there I'm guessing is for the fuel gauge sending unit.

What else would I need besides the tank, sending unit/pickup and tank straps? I've switched the tanks in the cab once and the gauge went WAYY over the full mark and fuel came flowing out of one of those lines (i had a bucket under it to catch it). So I guess the fuel selector valve is working?

I'm a total noob with this tank thing, I've usually only have had to deal with one tank lol

-Mike

Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Looks like you pretty much hit it on the head. New tank, sending unit and the lower straps with bolts.
Can't tell from the angle of the photo, but do you have a fill tube? Its also hard to tell the length of the fuel hoses, are they just cut off, or are the plastic fittings on the ends? You may have to cobble that together if they were just clipped.

As far as fuel coming out when you hit the switch, yup thats working perfectly, one of my buddies screwed with me when I had the front tank out and hit the switch and it was dripping so thats a good sign for you. I don't know remember what the gauge is supposed to do without a sender attached. I think mine stayed at empty, but it might go to full if there is crud in the plug???

Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Looks like you pretty much hit it on the head. New tank, sending unit and the lower straps with bolts.
Can't tell from the angle of the photo, but do you have a fill tube? Its also hard to tell the length of the fuel hoses, are they just cut off, or are the plastic fittings on the ends? You may have to cobble that together if they were just clipped.

As far as fuel coming out when you hit the switch, yup thats working perfectly, one of my buddies screwed with me when I had the front tank out and hit the switch and it was dripping so thats a good sign for you. I don't know remember what the gauge is supposed to do without a sender attached. I think mine stayed at empty, but it might go to full if there is crud in the plug???
Yea the fill tube is there it almost touching the bed bottom. I think the tubes where cut, will have to double check that. Well the plug is just open, not plugged into anything. So could just be a open circuit and be maxing the gauge out.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or you can opt for a 33 gal carbed bronco tank

Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Originally Posted by rodneywar
or you can opt for a 33 gal carbed bronco tank
35 gal total is more then enough. Don't need 49 gallons of fuel on board lol

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would be nice id i had 150 gals on board i wouldn need to fill up in 1 1/2 months

Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
blah.
try this one.lower price and she wont rot out on ya.
geeze i still need to get this lol.
i don't mind using just one tank i guess,because iv been putting it off for a while now.iv got a 23 gal front poly tank.
Heavy Duty Polyethylene Gas Tank for Ford - iNeedParts.com

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Funny thing about that picture, thats a gasser sending unit. Look at the connector, 4 wires. Also the descriptions says "Fuel PUMP and Tank Assembly". My guess is thats a package for a gasser truck, and not a diesel, since we don't need an in tank pump. You might still be able to make it work, and seeing as diesel sending units are rarer then hen's teeth, maybe it will be worth your while. But don't count on it working the same as the correct one.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 AM
catfish101
Posting Guru
I have everything you need but you are a good piece away....Coming south? It's yours to get it out of my way.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The link says carb engine, and fits diesel.

Something wrong.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
The link says carb engine, and fits diesel.

Something wrong.
Dave, I caught that too. But it says the same thing on the tank I ordered. I'm thinking the tank is the same gas vs diesel, just the sending units are different. I might be wrong though. I guess there is some variation in sending unit size as well, but I don't know how that fits in.

What I do know, is the front tank I pulled off a '89 or '90 460 fit my '88 7.3. It was a shorter tank then the one I pulled off, but I was able to get the sending unit to fit with some small modifications (mostly because the sump was in a slightly different place, little bit of bending...). Although I may have had to make a new notch where the sending unit fits... My new rear tank is coming on monday, and when I get a chance I'll have to pull the old one out and see how it compares. That might wait due to the cold weather...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Montanagrizzly
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rodneywar
it would be nice id i had 150 gals on board i wouldn need to fill up in 1 1/2 months
500 dollars to fill it up though! lol That would hurt the pocket book unless they would give ya the bulk rate discount hahaha

Old 01-09-2011, 04:12 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
blah.
try this one.lower price and she wont rot out on ya.
geeze i still need to get this lol.
i don't mind using just one tank i guess,because iv been putting it off for a while now.iv got a 23 gal front poly tank.
Heavy Duty Polyethylene Gas Tank for Ford - iNeedParts.com
yea, but that doesn't have the sending unit.

I mean dave TECHNICALLY these trucks have a carb-style fuel system. Since it only operates under 10psi before the injection pump. That could be the reason.

Catfish, I'll be sending a PM shorty.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Same basic sending unit. The ones that I have have 4 wires going in but only one terminal is used on the inside.

Mike I like the poly tank. No sweating means no rust...
I will check the sending unit that I have and if the meter says it's good then I will send it to ya.."If it fits it ships" Won't be much.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank help!!