1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking for a truck...HELP?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
rpenterics
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a truck...HELP?

I would like to buy a 1948-50 project truck. Does not need any drivetrain components (engine, motor, trans, axles, etc). Can anyone point me in a good direction or have any leads. Would like to stay in reasonable driving distance of either Eastern Iowa or Southeastern Michigan (anywhere in between the two would work also) Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I recommend waiting, saving, and paying as much as you can afford, for a truck from the southwest.You will save tons of money in the long and short term,and will be driving it years sooner.Just my humble opinion.Even if you have to pay $800.00 to have it shipped,you'll save way more than that in body work and frustration.

Here's one fairly close:

http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/2136821216.html

Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very true, but it all depends on what he ultimately wants to do with it.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,374 Posts
Here you go. Any parts you don't want, you can drop off at my house.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-my-52-a.html

Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM
rpenterics
Senior User
My intentions for this project are a 4x4 conversion with a bit of a rat rod/ hot rod vibe. If that makes any sense. Trying to keep costs down so I'm hoping to find a truck around the $1000 range. A friend of mine just picked up a '51 L130 International for $300. I'll give the one from mankato a call and see what he's askin

Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
rpenterics
Senior User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I recommend waiting, saving, and paying as much as you can afford, for a truck from the southwest.You will save tons of money in the long and short term,and will be driving it years sooner.Just my humble opinion.Even if you have to pay $800.00 to have it shipped,you'll save way more than that in body work and frustration.

Here's one fairly close:

Ford F1 Truck
That one is nice and the price isn't bad, how hard is it to get a title for these trucks? The current owner says he never had one..

Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Title depends on the state. Some are easy with a bill of sale as here in Kansas, and others can be tough.

Western Kansas and eastern colorado are pretty dry areas and sometimes rust free examples can be found, so you don't have to go clear to Texas or the southwest.

Follow the advice to find the best body available. It will save lots of work and headaches.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenterics
That one is nice and the price isn't bad, how hard is it to get a title for these trucks? The current owner says he never had one..
Maybe a member from your state will respond but, off-hand, it varies by state.Best bet is to go to your nearby DMV,explain what you want to do,then ask them about the process.It could be simple.Good luck,Steve.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
....., how hard is it to get a title for these trucks? The current owner says he never had one..
That my friend has been debated here many times. It all depends on which state you're in, IMHO. In California, it apparently takes an act of congress and a complete solar eclipse. My state (KY) is a little in between. I got my truck "inspected" one day for its new title and it was back home on jack stands, no brakes, and had a stuck motor. If you have to get a "salvage title", make dang sure first that it isn't stolen. Secondly, at least in my state, you have to sign an affidavit saying that the truck has been in your possession for x amount of years. In other words, you might run into a headache considering the previous "owner" never really pursued legal ownership of the truck (and the back taxes as well, don't forget that). So, if he's had the truck for a while, you could state that you bought the truck way back when and he didn't exist. Get my drift? BTW, is that a chainsaw sitting on that truck hood?

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't realize ibuzzard AND husker were answering. He's right, if you have a friend at the DMV, ask them about it too.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
BTW, is that a chainsaw sitting on that truck hood?

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't realize ibuzzard AND husker were answering. He's right, if you have a friend at the DMV, ask them about it too.
The PO was planning a top chop maybe.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
56viet
New User
I still have this '48 F-1 for sale. I'm located in northern IL '48 Ford F-1 Cab and Chassis - THE H.A.M.B.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM
rpenterics
Senior User
I'd like to try to find one with most of the pieces first if I can
Contacted the county treasurer today and getting a title doesnt sound terrible as long as the VIN is clean. Have to call him back and have it checked out.

The guy is asking $1500 for the one in Mankato (about a 5 hour drive) that buzzard posted, too much with no title?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
I'd like to try to find one with most of the pieces first if I can
Contacted the county treasurer today and getting a title doesnt sound terrible as long as the VIN is clean. Have to call him back and have it checked out.

The guy is asking $1500 for the one in Mankato (about a 5 hour drive) that buzzard posted, too much with no title?
Impossible to tell based on those 2 pics. Tell him to get the chainsaw off the hood and that big ladder off the cab and send you a bunch of pictures. You definitely need good pics of the fenders, engine bay (regardless if one is in there or not), the interior, undercarriage, bed and tailgate. If you can get that, post em and we'll be able to help some more. Also, it's at least missing the drivers side running board. I'm thinking 1500 is high. I can see a hole in the left front fender too.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey Ryan,

here's a 48 looks like it needs a bit of body work though!
Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming - ksl.com ford

I also have a 51 F3 that I could sell if ya wanted the better looking year body style as compared to the 48-50

Utah's not exactly right in your neighborhood though..

Good luck in your search

Josh

Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Take a trailer and cash with you. Driver there, look at the truck and offer $1k. Make sure to flash the cash in front when making the offer. The trailer will show him that you're serious. I bet you can get that truck for $1200 at most.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a truck...HELP?