Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Ordered rockauto tune up parts for 97 Aerostar: questions???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered rockauto tune up parts for 97 Aerostar: questions???

I recently purchased tune up parts for my 1997 3.0L Aerostar 4spd automatic with 30,000 original miles, including:

1) Spark plugs (6) Autolite double platinum part no APP104

2) Motorcraft Factory Plug wire set part no WR4105

3) Blue Streak Distributor Cap part no FD169X

4) Blue Streak Ignition Rotor part no FD308X

All of the parts were ordered from the rockauto site using their convenient pull down menu. Now that the parts have arrived, I noticed the distributor I received looks like a conventional distributor with a circular base. I took a look under the hood and my "distributor" is not a distributor at all. It's a rectangularly shaped coil which has all the spark wires emanating from it. I'm assuming it has no rotor inside and my vehicle does not appear to be equipped with a conventional distributor/rotor system. The plug wires I received appear to be correct, they have the special looking connectors on them (with two pronged levers on the ends that connect to the multipoint coil).

Questions:

1. Why does the rockauto parts system indicate that the 1997 American model Aerostar with the 3.0L use a conventional circular distributor cap and rotor? Was there a 3.0L 1997 model that used a conventional cap/rotor system? Will they give me a hassle or charge me shipping to return these items? (first time I've purchased from rockauto)

2. Is the coil cap on my aerostar replaceable or do you simply reuse it everytime you replace the plugs and wires?

3. Are the APP104 Autolite plugs right for my 3.0L Aerostar?

4. The Motorcraft wires appear correct, but I noticed on the plug ends, 4 of them have black ends and 2 of them have gray ends. Is there some special reason that 2 of the ends are gray?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help...

Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
1. I've a feeling that was an error in their electronic catalog. A lot of the 3 liter engines came with a real distributor; I don't remember when they switched to distributorless (EDIS), but certainly yours is of the later design. You will probably have to pay shipping to send it back for a refund. If the cost of the cap is not much than the shipping, I would just keep it, and try to sell it to someone locally. And send an email to Rock Auto customer support in complaint.

2. Your EDIS uses a multi-port coil set, and should not have any replaceable parts. You should not have to do anything with it unless it has a problem, like arcing to ground through a broken insulator. Then it's the whole coil pack that has to go.

3. I don't know the correct model, but I do not believe you should have to replace the plugs any sooner than about 60,000 miles. Check the existing plugs to see how they are, and replace if they are heavily worn, fouled, or otherwise not working.

4. Don't know the significance of the boot colors, but again, if you're not having problems with the existing wires, I would leave them. You check those by running the engine at night, and look for arcing along the wires or boots at each end.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
taurus8
Senior User
As someone who tends to keep his cars a long time (put on 200,000 on an '87 VW Fox, 300,000 on a Nissan NX) I didn't replace spark plug wires at all on the VW, and only just now on the NX when I felt it was driving a bit lethargically on about 250,000kms. I replaced the wires on the Aero when I bought it because I found that the engine was completely original, except for the spark plugs.

Spark Plugs...maybe once every 2 years depending on the condition I fiund them in. Most important thing is to get to know your vehicle. I keep track of the mileage (kilometerage?!) and if that starts to go down, or I notice any hesitation etc., then I'll perform some sort of tune up. I do bring it in once a year for my mechanic to check the chassis out and ensure all is up to snuff.

The very most important thing to do in longevity of a vehicle is to keep the fluids changed regularly. And the filters (air, oil and to a lesser degree transmission) as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Aeroman59
Elder User
Originally Posted by Aero-fan

Questions:

1. Why does the rockauto parts system indicate that the 1997 American model Aerostar with the 3.0L use a conventional circular distributor cap and rotor? Was there a 3.0L 1997 model that used a conventional cap/rotor system? Will they give me a hassle or charge me shipping to return these items? (first time I've purchased from rockauto)
97 Aeros had EDIS ignition system, no distributer, instead had a Camshaft position sensor in the same drive hole.

2. Is the coil cap on my aerostar replaceable or do you simply reuse it everytime you replace the plugs and wires?
Coil cap? are you talking about the rubber boots on the wires? They should be included with the wire set, you just plug them into the coil pack.

3. Are the APP104 Autolite plugs right for my 3.0L Aerostar?
Sounds like they are the ones, mine used AGSF 32FM Motorcraft but Autolite (Honeywell) are OEM for Ford.

4. The Motorcraft wires appear correct, but I noticed on the plug ends, 4 of them have black ends and 2 of them have gray ends. Is there some special reason that 2 of the ends are gray?
My original wires were the same as that, they also lasted 12 years & were still in good shape when I finally replaced them. I only did that because I had a strange misfire; which turned out to be a loose plug ( My fault). Your Aero also has OBD2 diagnostic system & EEC V computer to run it. The 4R44E transmission uses electronic overdrive & solenoid shift clutches throughout & engine runs best on 5w30 or 5w20 oil. This engine is one of the most reliable Ford engines to be built. You could get 500,000+ kms out of it.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help...
You are welcome.

Aeroman.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys. So the 97 aero was made with the normal distributor system too? As far as replacing the wires and plugs, the van only has 30,000 original miles on it. It seems to get mileage that's in the 15 to 17mpg zone driving pretty gingerly around town and some on the road. I think it should do better from what I've heard (epa says 23mpg highway). So I'm thinking replacing the plugs and wires might be a good idea. The wires are almost 13 years old now, and I'm not sure if the plugs are double platinums or not. If not, 30K miles might be enough to wear them down to the point where replacement or regapping might be warranted. And if I have to take those things out, they're getting replaced considering what a pain in the *** it is to get them out.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, you got the right stuff except for the distributor related stuff. I think the '97 was the first year of the EDIS waste spark system on the 3.0L. Other economy related items include cleaning the MAF sensor and replacing the O2 sensors at 80,000 miles.

I learned the other day that doing plugs on the Aerostar is a piece of cake compared to the 8 plug head on a 2.3L Ranger. Getting the old wires off was a total pain. The new wires were updated with special plastic hooks so that you can grab them, but that didn't help me with this job.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
Thanks again for the info. How might I find out if the MAF sensor is dirty? And how do I properly clean it? I've heard it's very delicate and you have to be real careful with it. Any other ideas on helping to ensure my Aero is running in top form? Not really familiar with the Ford EFI system or how to keep it fully tuned.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
To clean the MAF you will need security torx bits. You then pull the element out and spray it (no brushing or touching the element at all). There are specialized cleaners for this. For maximum life, I recommend cleaning it every time you replace the air filter.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:05 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aero-fan
Thanks guys. So the 97 aero was made with the normal distributor system too? As .
No it was not Aero-fan, they went to a DIS system in about '93 with the 3.0L in the Aero.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
In addition to your other parts, change the fuel filter. It's about as easy as it gets on these Aero's. Also wouldn't hurt to clean out the throttle body, and throw in a new PCV valve.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
update...

Well I contacted rockauto and informed them the distributor and rotor they sent me was not right for my vehicle. The young guy on the other end was polite but insistful that the parts were for my vehicle and that their database is very rarely wrong. I then informed him that I carefully inspected my own vehicle and that it clearly did not have a normal distributor system, but instead had a distributorless ignition module. I also inspected my 1997 Ford Aerostar factory shop manual for a 3.0L Aerostar, and it did not mention nor display any normal distributor/rotor system, only the distributorless system equipped on my vehicle. He insisted they must have been offered in addition to the distributorless system and basically assumed a superior knowing tone that was suggestive I was just some "behind the times" old guy (I'm in my 40's lol) that doesn't understand the extreme accuracy of his computerized database system.

I recently experienced this same thing at a local NAPA store when ordering parts for my Honda Civic. I told the 20 year old kid behind the counter I had a 2.0L VTEC engine in my civic and he insisted it couldn't be a VTEC because his computer did not list it for that year and displacement. I tried to explain to him it was VTEC and that it says "VTEC" on the valve cover, "VTEC" all through my owners and factory shop manuals and a big sticker on the side of my car says "VTEC". Nope, he'd hear none of it, and tilted the computer screen toward me and showed me where under the 2.0L engine it did not specifically say "VTEC". I scowled at him and was beginning to lose my temper, and suddenly he seemed to sense this and backed off in a patronizing tone (probably fearing I was going to summon his boss) saying more or less "it's ok old man, even though you don't know what you're talking about, I think we can still help you out".

I guess this is a normal part of getting older. And I accept it, maybe I was the same way on some level when I was their age. But goddamn it's aggravating at times. I suppose it'll only get worse with age if I let it get to me. I just wonder what will happen to kids of their generation if there is some kind of setback in our civilization where technology is no longer constantly at their fingertips as it is now. Or if they'll ever understand the ill placed wisdom of putting so much blind faith in computers and what they tell us.

Anyway, the guy at rockauto requested that I send him pics of my Aerostar manual to prove that the '97 came with the distributorless system. I did and only then was sent a return authorization number. I still have to pay shipping back. Buyer beware, computer kidz don't understand us old guys and our "senile" ways.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Hey the PCV valves for my '94 Aerostar are all wrong in Rockauto's database. The Motorcraft one is correct, but every other one is wrong. They should the PCV valve as a one piece with the hose fitting coming out at 90 degrees, when in reality, the hose comes in from the top. The Motorcraft came as a two piece so that it worked either way.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
DIYourselfer
New User
I purchased a part from RockAuto and they sort of encourage you to return your items if you need to. Only problem is they don't refund your money. So you're out the part, the money, AND the shipping you paid to send it back. Real nice.

Plus, the part they sent me was clearly used, not new.

I would love to support small businesses, but my god, Advance Auto parts has such awesome service.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Many parts listed in Rock Auto's electronic catalog are not quite right. You need to check for yourself the part numbers, and if there are any cross-matching replacement parts, you should try to find pictures of them.

I was recently trying to get something at a local parts store, and there was a lady asking the kid behind the counter all these questions about some part on her car.

"How much does it cost?" ... "About XX dollars"
"How long should it last?" ... "Usually XX years."
"So why did mine fail so soon?" ... "I don't know"
"Do they always fail like this?" ... "I don't know"

I interrupt to ask for a part, they didn't have it, I start to leave.

The lady continues:

"How many other stores carry this?" ... "I don't know"
"Am I bothering you too much?" ...

She just went on and on and on. The poor kid looked like he was ready to eat glass and shoot himself.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
I used RockAuto because I saw good things being said about them here. But in my experience, they were a real hassle and I ended up getting screwed on shipping with them. Much easier just to go to Advance Auto. Their prices are just as good, their catalog and database are more accurate, and the return policy is bulletproof. Plus they're local and employ people that live in my own neighborhood - what more could you ask for?

Quick Reply: Ordered rockauto tune up parts for 97 Aerostar: questions???