6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

New 6.2 Owner, Hear very light ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:27 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe there's 8, one for each cylinder. When you pop the hood with the truck running, you don't hear the ticking/chattering? It sounds worse in the video than it really is, just crappy video quality but you can hear it up and down both sides of engine.

I have a cheapy harbor freight mechanics stethoscope I bought to listen to the valves on my XR650L, maybe I'll dig it out and see if I can really pinpoint what I'm hearing.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I believe there's 8, one for each cylinder.
I was being sarcastic. It doesn't come through too well in print. Gotta work on that smiley...

When you pop the hood with the truck running, you don't hear the ticking/chattering?
All I hear is normal engine noise. If I hear abnormal (to me anyway) ticking, this place will be the first to know.

I will say that I've never heard that injectors are supposed to "tick". If that's in fact a trait of a fuel injector, that's a new one on me. Never heard that on any other vehicle I've ever owned.

Now valve train noise? That's another story. And that's what that video sounded like to me.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Strokt350d
Junior User
When I opened the hood last night, everything I heard was normal to me. I'm very familiar with valve train noise. Usually, to get a motor to rev, you can lock the rocker at 0 lash, or like 0 lash, plus 1/4 turn. Its a louder valve train, but makes for a revy motor. If I'm not mistaken, Ford spec used to be 0 lash, plus a 1/2 or even full turn before you lock. This literally would make a "chattery" valve train almost silent.

To me, it sounds like this is a looser valve train so to speak. Very chattery, but by no means would this be a bad thing. To me, it sounds normal.

Again, what I hear is completely different. Its when I'm inside the truck, not outside. When I'm driving, I can hear it. Very slight, but unmistakable. When the truck is in park, and I just rev it up, it comes on without questions. I honestly don't think anything you can hear inside the truck like that is normal..... I would think anybody would have a question/complaint about that.

If I go to a Ford dealership one more time, and have someone tell me "Oh, that's normal" I think I'm going to puke. Regarding my 6.4 Liter diesel engine (not my 1st or 2nd diesel by the way) I was told leaking oil is normal, smoking exhaust is normal, coolant blowing off the top of the engine is normal, and running coolant through an engine is ok as long as its not too much, like enough to blow the heads off.

By the way, how can anyone say "That's normal" regarding these trucks when they've never even worked on one before????? A 6.2 anyways.....

Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fz1dave
I was being sarcastic. It doesn't come through too well in print. Gotta work on that smiley...

All I hear is normal engine noise. If I hear abnormal (to me anyway) ticking, this place will be the first to know.

I will say that I've never heard that injectors are supposed to "tick". If that's in fact a trait of a fuel injector, that's a new one on me. Never heard that on any other vehicle I've ever owned.

Now valve train noise? That's another story. And that's what that video sounded like to me.
Sorry Dave, I was going to question it but didn't want to insult anybody's intelligence, or lack thereof.

So I just went outside (16 degrees, in shorts, wife was like, wtf?!?!) with my HF ultra mega special mechanics stethoscope () and without a doubt, it's the injectors. When I placed it on the valve covers below the injectors everything sounded smooth as can be. The second I put the end of it on the injectors, I hear the same sound that's in the video. Heck I could almost feel it through the stethoscope itself. I raised the rpm's some and it seemed to stay at the same pace (didn't appear to increase with rpms's), no other ticking showed up as Strokt350d is experiencing.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Interesting. I suppose they are tickers then. Thanks for checking that out.

If I get bored enough maybe I'll try the same thing. I'm not doing it at 16 degrees though.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by Strokt350d
By the way, how can anyone say "That's normal" regarding these trucks when they've never even worked on one before????? A 6.2 anyways.....
I'm just basing it on my experience with engines in general. I've been repairing engines on just about anything with one since high school.

Obviously though, this one is a little different if the injectors make enough noise to notice.

It all comes down to the dealer, and by the looks of it, I'd say you probably aren't going to get this resolved unless something actually fails. So for now I'd say drive more worry less

Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Radioactive 4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Sorry Dave, I was going to question it but didn't want to insult anybody's intelligence, or lack thereof.

So I just went outside (16 degrees, in shorts, wife was like, wtf?!?!) with my HF ultra mega special mechanics stethoscope () and without a doubt, it's the injectors. When I placed it on the valve covers below the injectors everything sounded smooth as can be. The second I put the end of it on the injectors, I hear the same sound that's in the video. Heck I could almost feel it through the stethoscope itself. I raised the rpm's some and it seemed to stay at the same pace (didn't appear to increase with rpms's), no other ticking showed up as Strokt350d is experiencing.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 AM
blackbitch
New User
I am a new owner to a 2011 F250 with 6.2L V8. I started to hear a slight ticking sound from the engine also. Was told by the service department that it might be a injector. Took it back to the service to have the rear main seal replaced at 7000 miles and they replace a part to remove the air from the fuel. Ticking noise is still there and is now louder.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Ford and Mopar
New User
Ticking at start up

Every time I start my truck it has a really loud ticking noise and it almost sounds like it's got a bad manifold gasket but after got underneath my truck while it was doing it it didn't sound like it come from one side it sounded like almost as coming from in the middle but I'm not sure and I don't want to pay to get somebody to look at it and it also does it when I put the pedal down a little bit.